A-Basin update

Share your trip reports that involved mogul skiing. Let us know where the good stuff is, and where it isn't!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

A-Basin update

Postby rondo320 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:56 am

After a stretch of cold and cloudy weather in Colorado, the change to hot and sunny has occurred.
I've skied the last 9 out of 10 days at A-Basin with four of those days being camps.
One day with the Team Summit camp and 3 with the SSCV camp.
After 56 seasons of bump skiing it's nice to know I've been doing it wrong.
I did learn a lot and hopefully will remember it all next season.
There are two mogul courses that the camps used. They are both closed courses for the use of the camps and team training.
I preferred the upper one to the west of the Norway lift over the course on skier's left on Ramrod because the snow was less slushy up high and the upper course has a greater pitch.
With the summer-like temperatures the snow gets pretty sloppy quickly on Ramrod.
The 10 day forecast indicates that there might be a change late next week to some cooler weather but for now I plan to slap on the sunscreen and get as much of the Basin as I can.
rondo320

Re: A-Basin update

Postby rondo320 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:27 am

The last series of storms dumped over two feet of snow on A-Basin with 5 inches last night.
Skied yesterday, Monday, and the bumps were well formed despite the new snow.
Since it was cooler the usual deep slush wasn't there. It was about halfway between packed and loose with just the beginning of spring slush.
I found it easier to ski than typical spring slush.
I'll be at the Basin most of the next two weeks except for the holiday weekend.
Talking to people who were up here when it was snowing, there was a huge turnout that filled the parking lots by 9:00 and on one day management started telling people to park at Keystone at 8:30. The highway had illegal parking for miles.
The lift lines as seen on the web cam were way outside the corral and went up the trail for most of the snow days.
Glad I missed it.
Too bad other areas such as Copper, which still have a midwinter snowpack, don't get in on this demand.
rondo320

Postby rondo320 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:55 am

The last few days had some great mogul skiing on Ramrod with a lot of good friends who are excellent bumpers.
Wednesday was extremely warm and sunny causing about a half a foot of loss in the base which is reported as 59 inches today.
I'm going to skip today and tomorrow and probably be back Monday afternoon when most of the holiday crowd starts heading back to Denver.
My season will probably end on Friday with 133 days.
Since the conditions this morning, courtesy of the web cams, are cold with a light rain snow mix and there hasn't been a major dump, I don't anticipate a fiasco like last weekend.
A-Basin does have live entertainment today and tomorrow with the festival of brewpubs tomorrow which may draw a big crowd. But with only an inch or two or accumulation forecast, I don't anticipate the crowds of last weekend.
Ramrod is in decent shape with some great bumps.
Lake Reveal has not revealed itself yet so that is a good sign that the snowpack is still in good shape.
Management announced a "bonus weekend" for June 9 - 11. So they will end the regular season on June 4th then reopen for the bonus weekend.
If we have cloud cover to block the high sun angle, the extra weekend might be worth it. But what happened last year was full sun and hot temperatures made the bonus weekend a bust with Ramrod closed and no good bumps up high. We'll see.
rondo320

Postby rondo320 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Didn't ski Monday, but the last three days have been great.
Warm temperatures with some cloud cover to minimize melting.
Ramrod is holding up but the troughs are getting deeper.
The ropes for the mogul course on Ramrod were dropped so I got somewhere around 35 to 40 runs down the course over three days.
I've been doing a lot of slipping too trying to keep it skiable.
Unfortunately, the upper course off the Norway lift was groomed down because it had jumps and they don't want the liability.
There is a rumor that Ramrod will soon be gone. They will use its snow to keep High Noon open.
My guess it won't happen till after this weekend but don't count on bumps for the bonus weekend of June 9 - 11.
They'll close down the lower part first. When that happens, you'll know the end is near.
rondo320

Postby bendtheski » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Good skiing with you today Rondo
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby rondo320 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Nice video!
But once again you are on the wrong side of the camera.
Next time I'll film you to capture that exquisite technique that puts you on the podium every year at Cooper.
I'm thinking I might go up tomorrow afternoon if they keep Ramrod open.
The crowd didn't look too bad on the web cam today.
rondo320

Postby rondo320 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Skied yesterday and today but will skip the last day of the season tomorrow.
The skiing was great both days. Skied with a lot of good friends and as usual Bendtheski showed us how it's supposed to be done.
Ramrod is open with bumps top to bottom with only a few bare patches at the bottom.
They said that tomorrow is definitely the last day because of the rapid loss of the base, down to 36 inches as of this morning.
After tomorrow, head west to California where Mammoth Mountain is reporting an 80 to 230 inch base and anticipates staying open into August.
rondo320

Postby rondo320 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 pm

The race is on to see who opens first for the 2017 - 2018 season.
The weather in Colorado changed abruptly a little over a week ago.
Record high temperatures and dry weather changed to winter conditions.
Last weekends snowstorm left most Colorado areas along the I-70 corridor and north with over a foot of snow with a major shutdown of I-70.
Summit County suffered a complete power loss that closed most of the county down including the schools which doesn't happen often.
A-Basin and Loveland both look good on their web cams.
The good news for early openings is that there is no major warmups forecast and the temps at night should be good for snowmaking.
I'll be waiting to start the season when the first real bump run opens.
Skiing the first couple of weeks of the season is risking your life.
The skiing is not worth ruining the rest of the season from a collision injury with one of the other 3,000 people on a single open run.
rondo320

Postby Old School » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:26 pm

He is OK I guess.

rondo320 wrote:Nice video!
But once again you are on the wrong side of the camera.
Next time I'll film you to capture that exquisite technique that puts you on the podium every year at Cooper.
I'm thinking I might go up tomorrow afternoon if they keep Ramrod open.
The crowd didn't look too bad on the web cam today.
Old School

Postby rondo320 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:42 am

A-Basin will be opening this Friday the 13th.
Unfortunately, the cool wet weather Colorado has been experiencing will change to warm and dry for the next week and a half.
It appears that the temps will dip low enough at night to make some snow but don't expect much to open beyond the one run they are currently working on.
Loveland has not announced an opening date.
rondo320

Return to Mogul Skiing TRs