"Bumps Are Stupid, Groom Mary Jane" -New Sticker

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

"Bumps Are Stupid, Groom Mary Jane" -New Sticker

Postby Blake » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:14 pm

Remember the old popular stickers that said "Don't Groom Mary Jane -God" and "Don't Tame the Jane".

Now as they are grooming more and more each year, the new popular sticker apparently is "Bumps Are Stupid, Groom Mary Jane".

I couldn't believe it. I saw it on one person's ski in front of me in the line and I couldn't help myself, I said "Oh My god! Where did that sticker come fr... OH MY GOD!" -I then saw it on the ski of the guy next to her- "Where did that sticker come from? Are you buying those somewhere? You made that yourself?" His response was "It depends on if you're for it or against it" and didn't answer my question. Apparently he couldn't tell I was against it based on my reaction. I guess he thought that I might have been excited because I was so happy to see it.

I cannot imagine anyone putting something so lame on their ski. It might as well read "I am not hardcore at all and I don't know how to ski well so I need everything to be a lot easier for me".

If they keep increasing the amount of groomed runs at Mary Jane our sport takes a devastating hit. I am afraid of this sticker becoming a movement because God knows there are more people on fat giant skis these days that have no idea how to ski moguls than there are mogul skiers.

We need to show a lot of support for not-grooming at this point. Every mogul skier who has enjoyed Mary Jane needs to call the grooming office in a friendly and enthusiastic way and tell them how much they enjoy the moguls and how the moguls are really what makes Mary Jane a world class elite resort. New stickers against grooming might also be in order. Maybe one that says "Anyone who dislikes moguls is the obviously not hardcore" or something would be good. I am planning to do my part once again with video this year to hopefully have some small influence on people's thoughts about mogul skiing and technique.

I told my Dad about the stickers that I saw and he laughed and said "Someone will kill them. Mary Jane isn't a good place to be wearing that kind of thing on your ski". I wish I could believe that these people will get their asses kicked, but unfortunately at this point what I actually believe is that most people will be in support of grooming.
Blake

Re: "Bumps Are Stupid, Groom Mary Jane" -New Sticker

Postby SSSdave » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:38 pm

So sad. Get your Denver bump skiers angry, figure out what to say to Winter Park management, and complain. Nip this in the bud. The issue is not that Winter Park as a huge resort with myriad runs needs more groomed slopes because customers are asking for them. Believe me, the same excuse has been used all over The West.

The real issue is bumps remind many otherwise upper intermediate and advanced skiers of what they ski poorly. A serious ever festering wound to their self esteem and ego. And many are rather aware from years of occasionally trying to ski in mogul fields that such is NEVER going to change. even if they were to use mogul skis. Most advanced skiers are fine with bumps even if they don't ski them well. But then as noted there are some with this ego issue. And some of those advanced skiers that have always hated bumps have moved into management positions at resorts that control what slopes are groomed. That over the last couple decades has been devastating to mogul fields across The West leaving only steep mogul fields that are difficult to learn on. Same thing has happened here in Tahoe even at hard core places like Squaw.

So as a Tahoe bump skier that is unfamiliar with what is going on in Colorado, I'm guessing there are now some of those people in charge at Winter Park that have found others in the organization that feel the same thus are now slowly doing their evil, conspiring with others, out of the light in the shadows.
SSSdave

Postby shreadley » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:12 pm

I remember awhile back when bump skiing was in a down slope and I started to worry but as long as bump skiing is on the olympic venue, bumps will always be high on skiing disciplines.
You as well as everyone of the listeners here will agree that bump skiers are the best skiers on the mountain. Even the naysayers know in the back of their mind this is true.
One last thing, MJ has a big reputation of being a bump mecca. A draw from throughout the states and abroad, Hope it never looses that rep.
shreadley

Postby Abox » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Blake wrote:New stickers against grooming might also be in order. Maybe one that says "Anyone who dislikes moguls is the obviously not hardcore"

Hmm...seems a little wordy for a sticker. How about 'Bumps rule, flats drool'. Or 'Bumps are awesome, YOU'RE stupid'
Abox

Postby mjskier » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Or appeal to their green side :-)
Save fuel, don't groom MJ
mjskier

Postby skinnyskis » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:36 am

Stop The Senseless Grooming
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis