Bump Scene at Snowbird and Alta

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Bump Scene at Snowbird and Alta

Postby perplexed » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi everyone! I'm going to college at the University of Utah soon, and I'm trying to decide which season pass to get. From early on I've been awed by Little Cottonwood, with its legendary powder and steeps, but growing up I became obsessed with moguls. Both mountains are amazing, but I'd much rather go to the one with the better bump "scene" for lack of a better word :) . I know none of them really compare to MJ's or Killington's, but if there's no new snow I'll most likely be a bum at a bump run for the day. I appreciate mountains like Heavenly and Killington that throw chairs over dedicated mogul runs for people to yoyo and rip bumps all day long. I've never been to Utah before so all my information about it is coming from family/perusing the web. Deer Valley looks like it has a pretty cool thing going on, but I'm not paying close to $1000 for a season pass and plus with free busses running from campus to Snowbird/Alta, it doesn't make sense to go to Park City. From what I've read, Snowbird lets runs under Peruvian bump up pretty well, but I couldn't find anything regarding Alta. I guess what I'm scared of the most is only having the choice between going really out of the way of the lift just to hit one 15 foot line, or those burly moguls that form on 40+ degree headwalls that are almost impossible to zipper down and if you try you're facing some pretty high stakes. All I need really is one mogul-dedicated sweet run and I'd be set. One thing that I'll really miss about the east are all the bumpers for sure. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
perplexed

Re: Bump Scene at Snowbird and Alta

Postby DJG1980 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:09 pm

My brother-in-law was on the Snowbird freestyle team in the mid-late 90's and he said there were good runs then. But he's not sure now. He suggested Alta might be better because there are no snowboarders so theoretically the bumps would be better shaped and not scraped.
DJG1980

Postby perplexed » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Yeah that was my train of thought too. But I found out that Snowbird is open until much later, which is a deal breaker. I don't want to be locked out when my friends still have over a month to ski. plus if you're early enough a bird pass comes with 3 free alta and deer valley tickets, which is awesome :D

If I'm really craving nonstop bumps I'll take a ride over to PC and loop Thaynes after my Deer Valley tickets have been exhausted
perplexed

Postby DJG1980 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:14 am

Really though - you can't go wrong either way. You're in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Arguably the greatest snow on earth. Life is good, enjoy it! I'll have to "settle" for Mary Jane today. Ha.
DJG1980

Return to General Mogul Skiing