Dalbello Rocker Stance Still Good for Moguls?

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Dalbello Rocker Stance Still Good for Moguls?

Postby danf » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:30 am

I know Dalbello is one of the go-to boots for moguls. I tried on the Panterra 120 with the ID liner and it fits great (I need the extra width of this boot). Unlike the narrower Kryptons, the Panterra forward lean cannot be adjusted from the advertised Rocker Stance. Is anyone skiing on the Panterra boots or the Kryptons without the forward lean adjustment? Does the Rocker Stance really make any difference in the bumps or is it a gimmick that I should ignore? My other option is the FullTilt Descendant but I have yet to try those on. I'm coming out of a traditional 4-buckle Tecnica Mach1 so this will be my first try with a 3-buckle boot.
danf

Re: Dalbello Rocker Stance Still Good for Moguls?

Postby danf » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:07 pm

I thought I would post an update in case anyone else is considering the Dalbello Panterra boots. I compared them side by side with the FullTilt Descendant. Out of the box, the forward lean is exactly the same as far I can tell. The difference is that the FullTilt can be adjusted from 10 – 14 degrees of forward lean whereas the Dablello is not adjustable. I can’t say if that would make a big difference or not, but I went with the Dalbello’s and loved them in the bumps. I really, really wanted the FullTilt. The flex just feels smoother. The Descendant 8 is about the same stiffness as the Dalbello Panterra 120 in the soft setting. But the Dalbello has some plastic around the cuff that I think makes the flex less smooth. Practically speaking though, the Dalbello’s felt great skiing. Maybe the Descendant 8 would feel softer/smoother and lighter, since they are almost 1lb lighter than the Panterra. Then again, I was demo’ing bump skis with rental bindings that were ridiculously heavy so saving a bit of weight on the boots would be pointless in this case.

I followed all the advice on this forum and chose the Dalbello based on a slightly better fit. Even though I really wanted the FullTilts because all the cool kids have them… not that I’m anywhere near being a kid. The Dalbello at 26.5 fit me perfect. Excellent heel hold and plenty of room for a footbed. The bootfitter I went to said that I would be insane to go with the FullTilts in 26.5. They were beyond a “race fit” small for me. So I would have to size up to the 27.5 which was workable, but about a half size larger than the Dalbello, making them slightly looser for no good reason. I’m one of those people in-between sizes on FullTilt and Dalbello is right in the middle. The FullTilt also doesn’t come with any footbed so I would either have to go without or work the bottom of the liner to make room for a footbed. That wasn’t a dealbreaker, but certainly a consideration. Looking at the quality of the boots, I also have to say that the Dalbello looks better and more modern. One of the bootfitters, who used to be a mogul coach and absolutely rips, called Dalbello a modernized FullTilt. That seems about right. Still, I have read so many good things about FullTilt and really wanted to try them out. But I went with fit as the #1 criteria.

I only skied the Panterra one day (two days if you count doing pizza for 3 runs on the first day with my little one). My full day was 5+ hours of soft hero bumps. I had the Panterra’s in soft mode, which is supposed to be a 110 rating. I’m 6’ and 175lb and the flex felt great. I’m a decent bump skier, but nowhere near the level of some of the folks on this forum. I’m coming out of Tecnica Mach1 120 and Tecnica Icon Carbons before that. The Panterra’s felt so much better, especially compared to the Mach1. I’ve read some reviews about the Panterra with complaints about them feeling a bit numb or something along those lines. I would agree, but in a good way. The Mach1 has a thin liner and even at 120 flex is very stiff. I felt every little crease in the snow and got shot in the backseat very easily. The Panterra felt silky smooth. The Mach1 is probably better if I want to carve groomers. The Panterra is way more enjoyable and less punishing in the bumps. Maybe it also has something to do with the cabrio design, which I really wanted in my next boot. Plus with the heat molded Intuition liner the fit wasn’t even comparable. To be fair, I was also demo-ing the Hart F17 Classics for the first time and some of the smoothness might have been because of the skis. The combo was fantastic. I felt way more confident and I also didn’t get as tired or sore as usual, even after so many hours of non-stop bumps.

What would have been even better is if the Panterra was the exact same boot as the Krypton but with a wider last. That would make the boot lighter and I have no need for the Panterra walk mode or the variable last adjustment, which I think adjusts the volume of the boot and not the last. But overall, the Panterra feels awesome and I can’t imagine a better fit, especially after heat molding the liners and punching out the boots for my weird 5th metatarsal.
danf

Return to General Mogul Skiing