Advice For All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Advice For All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls

Postby CS2-6 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I looked at all the relevant threads I could find, but didn't come across an answer.

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 165lbs
Ability: Expert (If we're being honest with each other, "Advanced")
Location (skiing): Southwestern Colorado (exclusively)
Days on the Snow: 6-10/year

I spend 75% of my time on moguls, but 15% of the time I end up skiing through some crud and tracked out powder because the folks I ski with get tired of moguls all the time.

If I'm ever lucky enough for a powder day, I'll rent some fat things. I never go fast on the groomers, so I don't need stability at speed or long, GS turns.

So I'm looking for an all-mountain (~80-90mm underfoot) ski that I will really like in the bumps and not hate in the crud.

I get the impression that the type of ski that works well in the moguls depends a lot on how the skier attacks the moguls. I'm trying to improve, but I know I'm 31 and only ski a week or two a year, so I'll never be a zipper linin' world cupper.

Here's a couple clips of me on blue moguls:

https://youtu.be/vom9w6IwOhE
https://youtu.be/gPJG_NZ2Mtg

My research suggests I want a torsionally stiff ski, with a soft tip and tail, and traditional camber if possible. Going by that, I'm looking at the following:

Blizzard Bushwacker
Scott The Ski
K2 Shreditor
Salomon Q-90
Nordica NrGy90(?)
Dynastar Powertrack 89(?)

If you have any opinions or suggestions for other skis, please let your voice be heard.

Thanks.
CS2-6

Re: Advice For All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls

Postby smoked » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:20 pm

I was looking for the exact same ski, and after thorough research, I settled on The Ski by Scott. I love 'em.
smoked

Postby CS2-6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:20 am

Awesome. I'm assuming you bought used? Ebay?
CS2-6

Postby CS2-6 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:29 am

smoked wrote:I was looking for the exact same ski, and after thorough research, I settled on The Ski by Scott. I love 'em.

Also, I've heard that the tips are a little wide and bang into each other on the bumps.

And, I've read that The Ski is great on soft bumps, not so great on hard ones.

Any experience with these claims?

Thanks
CS2-6

Postby sunshine 50 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:51 pm

I'm the biggest fan of the f17 classic. I love these skis they will carve as good as any on the groomers and they are ski great on the extreme lines. I've even bombed down knee deep powder runs with them all day and had the time of my life. I ski them the same way I would in the bumps stay stacked and go for it. :P
sunshine 50

Postby skinnyskis » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Almost all freestyle skis are now twin tips. The best of these are "Good in Moguls" and share some common characteristics with mogul skis; relatively thin, lightweight (no metal), modest sidecut (20-25m @170), and as you said; soft (but not buttery) tips and tails with medium flex. The largest "Great for Moguls" ski would be the B-Nasty with it's 72mm waist.
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Postby DJG1980 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:23 pm

@Sunshine50 - skiing the F17 Classic everywhere, do you go up in length (180cm) for areas outside of the bumps, down in length (168cm) for quickness and agility in the bumps, or do you compromise and go with an in between length?
DJG1980

Postby sunshine 50 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:19 pm

I ski a 180 length everywhere. I don't touch the bases just leave them factory and wax them every third time out just to keep them fast. Honestly I can't believe more people aren't sking them more as a all mountain ski when I get board and decide to straight line runs they track incredible at high speeds with no chatter. I own a pair of twisters which are equally great in bumps and straight lining but they don't carve as well or ski deep powder very good.
Just my 2 cents worth.
sunshine 50

Postby rondo320 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:37 pm

DJG1980, is there anyway for you to try the Harts or Twisters before you buy?
Does a friend have any that you might be able to switch for one run?
I have both the Hart Classics and the WCs but having tried out a friend's Twisters, at the end of November I bought a pair in the 175 length for $379 at Suburban.
All but one of my Harts are on life support and the one that is left is a Classic, 168 length, which is fun but a little too short.
Imho, if you only ski 6 to 10 days a year with 75% bumps go with the Dynastar Twisters and on powder days rent some fat skis as you proposed in your original post.
I'm 5'11" and now down to 165 lbs, similar to you but about 35 years older and getting lazier.
Despite getting well over 100 days a year, mostly bumps, I like things as easy as possible.
There's nothing like a good bump ski for the bumps and a fat ski for deep powder to make life very easy.
You can't go wrong with either the Harts or the Dynastars but the Dynastars are significantly cheaper allowing you to spend it on renting fats on powder days or buying a used pair.
rondo320

Postby DJG1980 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi Rondo, I didn't start the thread. I ski about 30 days a year. Only about 25% in the bumps. I'm not currently in the market for new boards but when I am next, I wanted to demo the F17 Classic just to see what I think. But I was thinking I'd like longer for all mountain and just deal with the extra length in the bumps. Sunshine's reply kinda mirrored my thinking. But obviously when o am in the market again, I'd demo a couple lengths if available before buying anything. Right now I ski the Fatypus bnasty everywhere.
DJG1980

Postby DJG1980 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:08 pm

I wonder if anyone has skied the Hart F17 Fusion. My concern with the Classic is the flat tail, which I'd rather not have.
DJG1980

Postby SSSdave » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Interesting you brough up the matter as I just did this though am not the one able to give advice.

I'm an old rec bump skier at 66" 140# and primarily ski on my 168cm Twisters with a 64mm waist which pretty much rules Tahoe packed powder bumps I tend to move through. Also have 173cm Rossi S7's with a 110mm waist for deep powder days. But in average powder conditions the S7's float a bit too high for little me thus plane and gain speed while I prefer a ski that gets down into the snow more for a more leisurely bouncing ride. Thus just bought an unmounted new 2015 155cm Scott The Ski with an 88mm waist for $429 on eBay plus NX11 bindings for $96. Of course as noted above The Ski is rated high in soft bumps and all mountain conditions including fresh. My expectation is to still use the Twisters the most but will find conditions after new snow when the wider The Ski will make for a more pleasant day. But will see how that plays out.
SSSdave

Postby CS2-6 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks yall. I sincerely appreciate all this great input.

I'll look into the Twisters and the B-Nasty. What gives me pause is I demoed a pair of Volkl Wall Moguls, and I really didn't like them in the bumps. I really really didn't like them warming up on the groomers, and I really really hated them in the crud. This tells me I'm not nearly the mogul skier I should be, and that honest-to-God mogul ski is probably more than I can handle.

I'll keep hunting, but right now it looks like the Q-90, The Ski, Bushwackers, and possibly Kastle FX84 are the top contenders.
CS2-6

Postby rondo320 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:26 pm

Sorry DJG1980 for transferring CS2-6's bio info to you.
rondo320

Postby skinnyskis » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:15 pm

The Volkl Wall Mogul (not the Rebellion with wall graphics) is unusual in that it has an extreme sidecut (for a mogul ski). If you spend 75% of your time in the moguls, you probably would enjoy a mogul ski with descent all mountain capabilities as your primary ski (probably the 3 best for this have already been mentioned in this thread). Hannah Kearney always seemed to be holding up a pair of skis on the podium that had a shape remarkably like that of the Rebellion (with wall graphics), perhaps you and her couldn't love the new walls radical sidecut.
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Next

Return to General Mogul Skiing