Advice For All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Re: Advice For All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls

Postby CS2-6 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:59 pm

skinnyskis wrote:The Volkl Wall Mogul (not the Rebellion with wall graphics) is unusual in that it has an extreme sidecut (for a mogul ski). If you spend 75% of your time in the moguls, you probably would enjoy a mogul ski with descent all mountain capabilities as your primary ski (probably the 3 best for this have already been mentioned in this thread). Hannah Kearney always seemed to be holding up a pair of skis on the podium that had a shape remarkably like that of the Rebellion (with wall graphics), perhaps you and her couldn't love the new walls radical sidecut.

Yeah, it seems like the Twisters, B-Nasty, and F17s are probably the best of the bunch for what I'm looking for.

You might be right about the sidecut. I just felt like one or too moguls (skied off, but not east coast icy) and I'd be in the back seat again. And there was no chance of crawling out of the back seat on those boards.
CS2-6

Postby DJG1980 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:07 pm

You said you ski exclusively in SW Colorado, which I assumed meant Telluride or Wolf Creek, so this may not be feasible. But Fatypus is located in Breckenridge so if you'll be near Summit County I'd email Jared (owner of Fatypus) and ask if he has a pair of B-Nasty's laying around you can demo for a day. Every time I've emailed him he's responded directly and quickly and he seems like a really nice and helpful guy. Might be your only chance to demo a comp-level mogul ski. And I think the skis are made in the Never Summer factory in Denver, and I like buying local whenever it makes sense to do so. They have a slightly wider width which seems to make it a good ski outside of bumps too. And the wider width hasn't held me up in the bumps ( my skiing skills hold me up).
DJG1980

Postby CS2-6 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:23 pm

DJG1980 wrote:You said you ski exclusively in SW Colorado, which I assumed meant Telluride or Wolf Creek, so this may not be feasible. But Fatypus is located in Breckenridge so if you'll be near Summit County I'd email Jared (owner of Fatypus) and ask if he has a pair of B-Nasty's laying around you can demo for a day. Every time I've emailed him he's responded directly and quickly and he seems like a really nice and helpful guy. Might be your only chance to demo a comp-level mogul ski. And I think the skis are made in the Never Summer factory in Denver, and I like buying local whenever it makes sense to do so. They have a slightly wider width which seems to make it a good ski outside of bumps too. And the wider width hasn't held me up in the bumps ( my skiing skills hold me up).

Purg is up there too, but yeah you nailed it; we go to WC every year. I love that friggin mountain.

That's awesome news, if I ever make it out to Breck, I will absolutely see if I can get on a pair of B-Nastys. The biggest downside I can see to buying a real mogul ski is they would probably have to be bought new. Used mogul skis are probably too flexed out to be what I'm looking for.

Again, thanks for the input.
CS2-6

Postby CS2-6 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:26 pm

So I rented Scott's The Ski at WC this season, and I found it was surprisingly stiff. I then got on a pair of Volkl Kinks (171cm) and loved them:

https://youtu.be/vmLsmSAsNnw
https://youtu.be/jmyKz-iONrk

Maybe because they were shorter than I've been on in years, but I think it's probably due to the flex and mild sidecut. Anyway, I felt like I was just starting to approach real mogul technique.

Speaking of technique, please feel free to offer any critiques, I'll take nothing personally.
CS2-6

Postby bendtheski » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:38 pm

Not for nothing, but it seems like most of what's being recommended are mogul skis for skiing moguls, not all mountain skis for skiing moguls, which is what the OP was asking about.

I don't know if anyone here will agree, but IMO mogul skis don't make great all mountain skis, while many all mountain skis do exceptionally well in moguls. Actually, I should qualify that statement; many all-mountain/park skis do exceptionally well in moguls. I'm a little skeptical about the pure All-Mountain category for skiing bumps, especially a 5-point like the Dynastar Powertrack. The 2nd generation 1080 (80mm waist) was one of my favorite twins for East Coast bumps, but since moving to Colorado, I've upped the waist width to 91mm with a pair of Salomon Rocker2 92. The Q-90 might be a decent choice, but the dimensions are quite different from the Rocker2 92 (wider tip, more sidecut, tighter turning radius on the Q-90) so the ride is likely to be quite different too. Probably a little better carver, but maybe not as quick edge to edge, or in releasing a turn, both of which could be a hindrance in the bumps, but that's pure speculation.

There are a ton of offerings in the 50/50 All-Mountain/Park category; many with traditional camber, many with early-rise tip, or early-rise in both tip and tail, in varying widths. After 3 seasons, I'm retiring my Rocker2 92's, and replacing them with some dynastar distorters. The distorters are 4mm narrower at 87mm, early rise tip/tail, and 22M turning radius, 119/87/109. I also decided to drop down to 173cm from 179. At your height, I'd probably opt for something in the 180cm range, but at your weight, you can probably get by on something shorter. I would also recommend something under 90mm waist width, and not much wider than 120 in the tip, or you're likely to be clunking skis, and stepping on your tips a lot. Have not skied the distorters yet, but will post my impressions in the next 5 days or so.

FWIW, I briefly owned the Faty-pus B-Nasty, and contrary to what some are saying here, did not feel as though they were a good all mountain ski. In spite of their slightly wider waist width, they are IMO a pure mogul ski, and an unforgiving one at that. I've seen a number of skiers on this site do some amazing things on mogul skis including Twisters, F-17's, and IDOnes in varied conditions, but IMO an AM/park ski will perform very well in bumps, and provide better float, and accommodate a wider variety of turn shapes, including my personal favorites; the pivot, and the smear, and do better in a wider variety of snow conditions than a pure bump ski. Also FWIW, I don't ski textbook mogul form, but can point them straight and ski zippers when necessary, on a 90mm waist ski. YMMV.

I definitely suggest trying some demos, but think you can probably rule out the powertrack, and anything over 90mm waist. While you're at it, try some of the pure mogul ski suggestions; B-Nasty, Twister, F-17, etc. Oh yeah; not trying to be critical, but you need to ski more. 6-10 days a year isn't going to get you where you want to be on any of these. Not trying to break balls; everyone has their own priorities, but IME repetition and skiing with accomplished skiers will do at least as much if not more to elevate your game than new equipment.
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby CS2-6 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:41 am

bendtheski wrote:Not for nothing, but it seems like most of what's being recommended are mogul skis for skiing moguls, not all mountain skis for skiing moguls, which is what the OP was asking about.

Thanks a ton for the detailed response and your logic really resonates with me. I see what you're saying about the Q-90 and I agree, I don't want a ski that gets locked into a turn.

I also agree about the tip width. I demoed Scott's The Ski and am very glad I didn't buy it. It was far to stiff and wide in the tips for my mogul "style".

Please, let me know what you think about the Distorters.

My balls are unbusted and I definitely don't take that as critical, rather the certain truth. I know for a fact that the $400 I'd spend on a decent pair of used skis would be better put towards a couple extra ski trips a year. Unfortunately, I'm 31, live in Texas, and have a regular job; all things I can't do much about. The days of me getting two weeks or more on the snow are gone. I did manage to get 28 days one season... and it was incredible.
CS2-6

Postby bendtheski » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:38 am

CS2-6 wrote:
bendtheski wrote:Not for nothing, but it seems like most of what's being recommended are mogul skis for skiing moguls, not all mountain skis for skiing moguls, which is what the OP was asking about.

Thanks a ton for the detailed response and your logic really resonates with me. I see what you're saying about the Q-90 and I agree, I don't want a ski that gets locked into a turn.

I also agree about the tip width. I demoed Scott's The Ski and am very glad I didn't buy it. It was far to stiff and wide in the tips for my mogul "style".

Please, let me know what you think about the Distorters.

My balls are unbusted and I definitely don't take that as critical, rather the certain truth. I know for a fact that the $400 I'd spend on a decent pair of used skis would be better put towards a couple extra ski trips a year. Unfortunately, I'm 31, live in Texas, and have a regular job; all things I can't do much about. The days of me getting two weeks or more on the snow are gone. I did manage to get 28 days one season... and it was incredible.

Ahh, Texas; probably hard to find any decent skiing within driving range. I was fortunate enough to work most of my career in the NY/NJ area, which made being a weekend warrior at Killington relatively easy.

The distorters are pretty much everything I hoped they would be; quicker edge to edge than the Rocker2 92, lower swing weight, 1 because they're shorter, and 2 because they're lighter, or at least feel lighter. I think what really makes this ski is the core lay-up. They really reward centered and/or forward skiing. The mounting point (traditional) is further back than the 92's, which takes a little getting used to, but now the two main skis in my quiver have a traditional mount, so once I get it dialed in will mean less adjustment from one pair to the other. I will say that because of the extra length/width of the 92, they do everything well, with a bias towards softer/deeper snow. The shorter/narrower distorters do everything well also, but the bias is definitely more towards quicker turns, and bumps. That being said; I'm still finding them amazingly versatile for everything but wind-buff, breakable crust, and chop. My Rocker2 100's are noticeably better, but I did find myself breaking through, burying the tip, eating shit, and looking foolish earlier this week. OTOH, I doubt anything I own would have fared much better in the wind-crust, with the possible exception of my Faty-pus I-Rocks, but only a very small percentage of the mountain was crusted like that, and the 126mm waist I-Rocks would have been overkill for everything else I skied that day.

Anyway, conclusion; the distorters are $$$$. They do ski a little short in a 173cm, and won't give as much float as something a little wider/longer, but for an all-mountain/park twin, they make a very acceptable bump ski.

Look at me! I can ski the whole mountain with my feet together! (some of these shots were taken on the Rocker2 100's, but most of the mogul shots were on the distorters. You can tell the distorters by the sweet orange and blue/green topsheets)

Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby CS2-6 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:06 pm

bendtheski wrote:Ahh, Texas...distorters are $$$$...Look at me!

Yeah, I can get to some good snow in about a 12 hour drive, to great snow in about 14. But that's definitely not close and requires a fair amount of planning.

Glad to hear you're loving the Distorters. They seem very similar to Shreditor/Bushwacker/Kink category that I've been leaning too.

Nice turns man. Great absorbtion in the bumps and it looked like you were rippin through those trees pretty well.

Keep me updated on those Distorters as the season progresses. I'll be interested in seeing how they do the rest of the year.
CS2-6

Postby mjskier » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Slightly narrower than the distorters: Rossignol Scratch. The current version is 116-84-109.
Traditional twin tip (no rocker)
I've skied one version or another for years. They work pretty much everywhere for me.
mjskier

Postby SD_skier » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:22 pm

I own/have owned a number of different mogul skis. All of which I've used as my daily driver for all conditions except powder days. I am currently skiing B Nasty's as my daily ski and have to say they are excellent as a one ski quiver for someone that wants to ski bumps frequently. They are slightly wider than most bump skis, but more importantly they have more side cut than most. Interestingly, it has a lot of camber. The B Nasty's won't be confused for a race ski, but they can lay down carves much better than any other bump ski I've ever owned. They are great in the bumps, great on the groomers and pretty good in packed off piste powder. They really lack in crud and pow, but any ski that is skinny enough to do well in the bumps is going to have that trade off in the pow. For what it's worth, I highly recommend the B Nastys if you want a great front side ski that rips the bumps. Then I'd suggest complimenting your quiver with a fat ski for powder days.
SD_skier

Postby DJG1980 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:05 pm

DJG1980

Postby vmpatterson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:25 pm

It hard to tell the steepness of your runs on the video but I wouldn't be worried about the F17's or Twisters being too much for you. I am 72 still learning bumps (later starter) but have skied the F17's for 5-6 years and tried the Twisters last year from a friend on the hill. Within 15 feet and knew I really liked them and order a pair from the site. Have been very pleased with the Twisters but was also happy with the F-17's. I think my biggest problem the last few years were too stiff of a boot as I was getting thrown into the back seat. This year I went with The FT Seth Morrison's with a 6 Tongue. I am having a lot of fun still learning but definitely improving with the new boots. Even when I got the F-17's and was several stages back in skill I never found them too much. Although I will say I always skied a stiff high performance ski. Honestly, both the 17's and Twisters are not a difficult ski to ski in my opinion. The F-17s might be a better carving ski for the groomed runs but not a big difference whereas I think the Twisters are better ski in the bumps. I have skied a little crud on the bumps and I think the Twisters are again better but I haven't skied heavy crud. Either way I don't think you will unhappy in the bumps and the groomed. Depending on the depth and weight of the crud will be the deciding point, light crud up to 6 inches should not be a big problem-again I would say the Twister are better there.
vmpatterson

Previous

Return to General Mogul Skiing