Looking at 3-Piece boots

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Looking at 3-Piece boots

Postby vmpatterson » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:03 pm

I could use some help here. I am looking at three piece boots. I am 72 years old 5'9' and 180 lbs (hope to get to 175 by the start of ski season). I ski 50-60 days per year mostly on Little Burn and Mine Dump at Copper Mtn. I have been in Technica Magna's for the at 7-8 years and 450-500 days. They have held up well with some compaction so have gone from ultra thin to a thicker socks and tightening up the buckles. I certainly don't ski at the level most of you ski but once in a while can zip line at maybe a respectable level.

My boot size is 26.5 but have to trim the toe nails but still get a black toe one in a while. I need a fairly wide toe box for my foot size and had to punch out the Technica but that has worked well. The rest of my foot is pretty small volume with a bit of a high arch. I had a pad put on the front tongue and heel pads to hold the heel down on the Technica. This has worked well as I had a good boot fitter.

I tried on 3 three piece Dalbello's yesterday with a flex from 100-110-120. The 120 Krypton seemed to be the best fit but still had some places that would need some work. All of the Dalblello 's had pressure points that would get sore even in the store which concerned me. The pressure points were different for each boot. But the Krypton felt the best with firm fit across the length of the boot. But with the pressure points problem I will now try some FT's.

I GUESS MY QUESTION IS MOSTLY ABOUT WHAT FLEX I SHOULD BE LOOKING AT. Do any you have suggestions on either the best boot and the proper flex and of course, Dalbello and FT use different flex numbers? I fully understand proper fit is most important but flex is a concern as I want the best boot I can get for moguls as at my age I will likely soon stop the learning process and begin the downhill slide one gets the older one gets.

Finally, last year I switched from F-17 Classic to the Twisters. One of my friends got some twisters and I tried them out on a somewhat(for Colorado) icy Mine Dump. With my F-17's I was having some problems and didn't have a lot of confidence and consequently aggressiveness. Within 2 turns on the Twisters I felt noticeably more comfortable and got aggressive and skied much better. Ordered a pair of Twister from MogulSkiing the next day. I want say it was nice to support the site but I also got excellent support from Chris.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Vern
vmpatterson

Re: Looking at 3-Piece boots

Postby Jeffy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:37 pm

I would suggest a soft flex like 100. It will help you stay flexed and forward on your skis and not throw you into the backseat as much as a 120 flex would. I am 6'2" 220 lbs. and use a 100-110 3-piece Dalbello. I like them so much more than the stiffer 2-piece Nordica I had previous.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby Old School » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:59 am

With the DallBello's are you looking at the stock liners or the Thermo fit's? Your fit issue might be solved with the heat molded Thermo Fit.
IMO
Old School

Postby vmpatterson » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:53 am

Jeff- thanks for the info on flex. I do get thrown into the back seat at times. You confirmed my opinion about the softer flex. The softer flex boots just didn't fit as well on the sides. I think the lesser performance boots seem to be a bit wider. Not sure if the sides are softer also. I have heard that the FT's are stiff on the sides but have softer forward flex. Also you can change the tongues to increase or decrease the forward flex by changing the tongue.

IMO - the Dalbello's had the wrap liner. I was told they were heat fitted at the store but not sure if that is what you were talking about. The wrap supposedly is warmer but I have boot warmers that I don't use very often. Might be able to do away with them as they are getting old. The wrap fit seemed a little harder to get into but that could be just not used to them. It seemed like the padding on the sides were not as thick as I would expect as I could feel hard pieces. Something I would not expect with a narrow heal. But certainly I haven't given up on the Dalebello's.

Appreciate the responses. Any inputs on the FT would be helpful.
vmpatterson

Postby Jeffy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:33 pm

FT is a great boot and wonderful for mogul skiing. That was my first choice but the overall fit wasn't good for my thick high arch and wide fore foot so I went Dalbello with a model that had a good base fit. Then I added a custom Zip Fit liner and a little punch on the shell here and there.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby DJG1980 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:07 pm

Have you tried on the Dalbello Panterra? I have the Panterra 100. They have a 4th toe buckle that adjusts the last between 100-102mm so it gives you a lot of room to adjust for medium to wider feet. It is the 3-piece design as well and you can adjust the flex from 100-110. Although the 100 setting works fine for me.
DJG1980

Postby skyline » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:47 pm

Just bought the FT Seth Morrison which has a 10 flex tongue rated at 130. Also purchased the 6 flex tongues rated at 110. I had the ski shop do a minor adjustment as I have a wide foot and they seem to fit fine. There is a definite difference in the feel between the 6 and 10 flex and will begin the season with the 6 flex tongues. I love the fact one can adjust the flex without having to buy another set of boots. I had previously skied the original Raichle Flexon Sl for almost 20 years...that is until I finally blew them up last spring. 2 years ago I custom fitted the Raichle's myself when I purchased a new pair of tuition liners by following a tutorial offered by Eddie Hicks, a former Canadian WC mogul skier. Considering he skied over 200 days a year fit is especially important. It's an excellent guide and I highly recommend it whether you fit your own or have the shop do it for you.

http://www.eddiehicks.com/boot-fitting/
It's not that you can't ski moguls... it's that you can't ski and moguls prove it...
skyline

Postby vmpatterson » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:04 pm

DJG1980 - i did try the Panterra and felt it a little sloppy on my foot which might be corrected by the heated liner. The idea of the four buckle was interesting but I was in a bit of hurry and didn't play with it.

skyline - the 130 flex might be a bit much for me although I don't know how that compares to my current Technica Magna. The Magna was supposedly the next boot below the racing boot and I like a stiff boot except for the moguls. Certainly the changeable tongue is a great idea. Thanks for relating the FT flex numbers to the generally expected 2-3 digit numbers used by the other manufacturers. I do know that I want stiff tight fit around the foot but a smooth softer flex in the tongue. Maybe more than most as at my age I probably get thrown into the backseat more than most. That kind of forces me to the FT's if they fit my foot. I have yet to try them on as I am really busy rebuilding two decks and my volunteer job restoring a WWII flight simulator at a local WWII Aviation Museum.

Also I only did a quick look at the Eddie Hicks fitting guide from what I saw it looks to be exceptional. I certainly plan on taking the time to really go over it and using some of his idea. May make a boot fitter unhappy but if they don't like it I will go someplace else. Fit is too important to not take the time to understand the best way to do it even if you have someone else do it. There are too many boot fitters who don't know what there are doing and don't want to take the time. My last boot fitter was one of the best.
vmpatterson

Postby vmpatterson » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Tonight I set aside a set of FT Seth Morrison's at Christy Sports. They had a good price on 14-15 models (no change from this year). Need to enlarge the toe box a little and fix one pressure point on the upper calf on one boot but suspect these issues should be corrected when the liner is heat fit. If not should be able to correct with other means. First I need to get the custom insoles from my other boots. Will certainly look over the suggestions on the Eddie Hicks site.

Did not have any of the sore spots I found on the Dalbello's I tried on, not that they weren't fixable but the Seth Morrison's certainly fit my foot better and they felt like I should be able to feel the edges really well. I really like the idea of the stiff sides on the Seth Morrison's but have the ability to have a softer tongue. I called FT earlier to check that they had the 6 flex tongues in stock and ordered those also.

Guys - Thanks for all the help - I appreciate it. I understand the Colorado mountains got some snow today and Copper started making snow yesterday.

Vern
vmpatterson

Postby rondo320 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:52 pm

Is anybody skiing on the Atomic Hawx?
On the 110 and up models you can set the forward lean to 13, 15 or 17 degrees.
A lot of boots have flex adjustments but these are the only ones that I know of that have a forward lean adjustment.
I'm also going to try on the Full Tilts SM.
My Langes have over 450 days on them and are showing the strain, so it's time.
rondo320

Postby spetrecky » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:57 am

full tilts have 2 different forward lean wedges and you can also use an upper cuff piece.

they be the bomb.
spetrecky

Postby shreadley » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:25 pm

Hey buddy, I'm almost sure we've met on 'Burn' at sometime or another, it's me ...Nobu. Anyway, My theory is to have a boot that flexes easy to a particular point, then the forward lean is supported and holds your shin from flexing any further. When I reach that position, I can personally do anything in the bumps. I can launch, do what few aerials I can still do, land and find that sweet spot boot position and keep going. I've found that the 3 piece Delbello is the perfect solution. Mine are older and no longer available 'El Morro' and I had to have them fitted (bumped out etc.) but the flex is deceiving because like I said, they will flex forward to a point then hook up. I''v tried stiffer race boots but it seems they are too upright for my purpose. Just my thought.
shreadley

Postby rondo320 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Nobu, didn't see you last year. Too bad they don't have snow making on Little Burn. We'll have to wait a while.
Here's what happened on my boot search.
I took my Lange RS 130s with me to try side-by-side. I have both screws out in the back so they should be about 110 in flex. I would have liked to have tried new RS 130s or 110s side-by-side with the ones I considered but the ski shops I was in didn't have those in stock.
The problem with the Atomic Hawx was that my foot is a little too narrow especially in the toes for them. They were comfortable but way too loose and I couldn't go down in size because my toes were already up against the fronts. I also found the forward lean adjustment to be impractical and more of a gimmick than a tool. I found out later that my son-in-law had the Hawx and the lean adjusters kept falling off of his boots.
On to store two and a whole lot more boots to try on. The ones that I liked the most and that gave me the same lateral support as the Langes but more forward lean were the Seth Morrison Full Tilts. I tried them with the 10 and then 6 (preferred) tongues and they were great except for the fact that they hurt under my arches. The boot fitter wasn't hopeful that he could fix that problem so they were out.
On to store three and the third most promising boot out of the many that I tried on, the Dalbello Krypton Fusions. No problem with the arches that the FTs gave me but with an over-all tighter fit than the Hawx. Side by side against the Langes they were comparable in suppport but with more forward lean. No pressure points under the arches that I had with the Full Tilts. Went with the Dalbellos and have worn them around the house with no problems. I'll take them to Copper next week on Monday and Tuesday to see how they are on skis and snow.
I've been on Langes ever since Langes were introduced. I have a Lange foot and I like the support but just can't accept the upright stance anymore. Too bad that Lange has abandoned bump skiers.
Thanks for the advice from the forum.
rondo320

Return to General Mogul Skiing