Comeback Ski Tour 2016

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Comeback Ski Tour 2016

Postby LF278 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Hey Mogul Boys, I have followed this community for at least a few years with the intent of making a comeback to skiing after a 14 year absence. I'm looking for some advice, but first I will give you some backgound to help you with your replies. I used to be a good bump skier back in the day of 200cm straight mogul skis and have never skied on shaped or short skis. For those of you asking why did I stop skiing and why for so long? The simple answer is; I had lost my desire, and geographic location. The more complex answer is; at 40 years old the thrill and chase to get better had disappeared as I was no longer having days that were "the best I ever skied". The following years the expectation of my skiing abilities was so high that I knew they couldn't be met and I had lost almost all desire. I then casually took up motocross where as a beginner I was once again experiencing the thrill, and slowly getting better each time I rode. To this day I am still slow as a turtle at moto but get better each time I ride and enjoy it tremedously. Told you it was complex.
So now at 54 years old I'm planning on making my comeback to the sport I always had the most passion for, as my expectation for myself is now very low. Even though I don't expect to be ripping bumps all day long, I am planning on skiing in the fall line, stacked with feet together. I'm thinking a Dynastar Twister is what I want as that is the style I always skied. I visited a ski shop and was told that is not the way it is now and the style has changed. My response was what happened to "wedeln"? They had no clue what I was talking about and proceeded to tell me how they had skied in Tahoe for 15 years. Sheesh.
So now my questions;
Is the Twister a good choice for what I want to do?
I'm 6'2" 170 lbs, is the 182cm the right size for me?
I got a great deal ($169) on a set of Solomon STH2 WTR 16. Is that binding compatable with the narrow waisted Twister?
I had always skied in Lange race boots and got a great a deal ($288) on a pair of 2015 Lange XT 130 LV. Is that going to perform to a high level?
What happened to wedeln?

Thanks. Looking for some Old School advice.

LF278

Re: Comeback Ski Tour 2016

Postby Old School » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:19 am

Old School advice might as well come from Old School. First off, welcome back to the sport we all love. The Twister is the ski of choice for many on this forum and elsewhere. The 182 would be the ski for you. It also works good all over the mountain. Just have a wider pair of skis in the closet for a big snow day. Regarding the binding, bear in mind the Twister is 66 under foot so you will need the most narrow ski brake you can find. Not sure you need the climbing aspect of that boot but if they fit that is the most important thing. And you are truly dating yourself asking about "wedeln".
Old School

Postby spetrecky » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:01 pm

I had to look up wedeln, I had no idea what it was. So for the rest of us.....

Definition of WEDELN
: a style of skiing in which a skier rhythmically swings the rear of the skis from side to side while following the fall line
spetrecky

Postby LF278 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks Old School. You're precisely the one I was looking for a response from. I now feel much better about the selections I have made. Just need to pull the trigger on the Twisters, mount 'em up and I've got the whole kit togehter.
As for the "dating" myself thing; are you saying no one wedels anymore? I think a better description would be an advanced skiing technique of short turns in rapid succession made in the fall line with skis held closely together (parallel) and a square and quiet upper body. Is parallel also a dated term/technique? Does everyone look like a hockey player coming down the hill now? Am I going to be the only one wedeln down the hill without a helmet on? Maybe I should get a red Bogner suit and look like Stein! I'm really starting to look forward to this.
Btw, I watched the BMMC vids and result sheet. Nice job, I would never let D.F. or Rutland forget you spanked 'em. And in my opinion you beat Orly too. You out scored him in turns and speed but came up 9 one-hundreths short. In the 50+ world of mogul skiing that's a win! You're skiing great Dude!

Petrecky, I feel less foolish wedeln than not knowing what it is. Thanks! How long you been at this game? You wedel in the moguls for chrisakes!
LF278

Postby spetrecky » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:56 am

hey now..I call it P-Dazzalin.

on a side note: is it getting cold in vermont yet. If I come home for Halloween to NY, I want to ski.

Plus Halloween is my birthday..so anyone on this board...I am excepting presents from the mogulskiing.net gift shop. I heard that is why C'mo put the thing on here was so you guys can conveniently shop for my birthday. I like the japanese harts. and i can use a t-shirt since i cut the arms off all mine for the ladies.
spetrecky

Postby sunshine 50 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:43 pm

8) Good to hear a fellow motocross racer is joining the ranks! My story is very similar born and raised a bump skier ended up in Oklahoma for 25 years so you race dirt bikes. Been roosted by the best past and present. Now I work in Canada so back to bumping. Having the best time of my life!
I've skied on Twisters and F17s and both ski great I just prefer the F17s. Bindings I believe are very important spend the money and buy the best or spend it at the Orthopaedic SURGEON. What's a $100 more?

Happy sking!!! Point them down hill and yell charge!!
sunshine 50

Return to General Mogul Skiing