Twister Length

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Twister Length

Postby vmpatterson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:31 pm

I am considering getting a pair of Twisters. I currently have 168 cm Hart F-17 Classics and am old,old for this group (almost 72) still with good knees and still learning the bumps. Today I took a run on a friends 175 cm Twisters and found them very nice. The question is should I stay with the 168cm or go up to 175cm. With the F17 I have trouble controlling my speed (technique) and come out of the zip line especially with icy conditions(for Colorado). Today I didn't notice any difference in length and felt comfortable with the twisters even with a bit of icy conditions. Skied more aggressive on the Twisters than the F17s as they held a better edge. The shorter length might help control my speed to stay in the zip line but would I loose some balance with the shorter length. I am 5'9" and weigh about 180 lbs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
vmpatterson

Re: Twister Length

Postby Chris Moore » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:41 am

VM-

Given your height and weight you should definitely be on 175's.

Thanks for making us all feel young!

-Chris
Chris Moore
Site Admin

Postby skinnyskis » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Twister, 175cm, running surface of 149.1cm, mid-sole mark CRS –6cm

I suspect your choice is between downsizing to a 168 Twister or upsizing to a 175 Twister. If you measure your 168 Harts you will know how much longer the 175 Twister is (I'd wager it's going to be less than 7cm). Demoing mogul skis, let alone multiple lengths of the same ski, is a luxury most of us rarely have. The variations in advertised lengths by the manufactures add another level of complication to the process of ski selection. (I have skis that sit undrilled because after measuring them I know they are too short for me.) When you said you "didn't notice any difference in length" your instincts are probably pretty close to the truth.
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Postby vmpatterson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks guys. Since I had tried the 175's that a friend had given me for one run it wasn't a hard decision to go with the 175's. I was primarily looking for confirmation and Chris provided that. Per skinnyskis comment when I compared the length of the 175 Twisters to the 167 F-17 Hart they both have about the same running length. i think this was why I never noticed a difference in the lengths. The Twisters having a pointer tip and a bit of an upswing in the tail. Considering the running surfaces of both the mounting point on both are at very close to the same point. On the F-17 I had done a lot of research on the mounting point using both the ball of the foot method and the recommendation from the Hart CEO ( a very helpful person as others have pointed out) and mounted then about 2 cm forward. With the Twisters i just went with the mid point mark as many others have recommended and am very satisfied. Consequently,again I think you can say the 175 twisters are very comparable to the 167 F-17's.

In comparison I really like the twisters as they are lighter and really hold well on an icy surface (Colorado crust not the real East Coast ice). The twister edge just gives me a lot more confidence and allows me to be much more aggressive. My F-17 probably had 350 days on them and I am not sure I ever had anyone who really knew hard to sharpen them. However, being older maybe the Hart's were just a little much for me although I did enjoy them for almost 6 years and loved them on the groomed and am sure they did improve my bump skiing over the years.

As far as detunning the twisters all I did was detune the tails back about 2 1/2-3 inches. At first detuned just the yellow portion of the tail but found it was not releasing the tail quite as much as I wanted so went back and detunned another 1/2-1 inch and they know seem good.

Almost 72 and still learning bumps as well as many other things. Life is good if you live it.

Vern
vmpatterson

Postby vmpatterson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:05 pm

Forgot to mention I ordered these thru mogul skiing.net and Chris put them in the mail the same morning I order then. Delivery was quick and I was very satisfied with the support and service I got from Chris. Plus we need to support mogulskiing.net when we can as it is the primarily the only national source I know that really tried to keep the sport going at least at the amateur level.
vmpatterson

Postby vmpatterson » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:20 am

One final comment. Although the running length of the 167cm F-17's and the Twister 175 cm are essentially identical the actual length and running length of the 175 Twisters and 175 Hart World Cup are the same. Something to think about when you are considering new skis.
vmpatterson

Postby danf » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:28 am

I hope it's ok to resurrect this thread. I have the Rossi Scratch Moguls in a 175cm but they're getting old. I'm considering an upgrade to the Twisters. I'm very much in learning mode so any advantage I can get to build confidence, speed, etc. is great. Based on the comments I've seen, the Twisters are my best bet. I'm not sure about length though. I'm 6'0 175lb and age 44. The Rossi at 175cm are just fine for me so I'm leaning towards 175cm in the Twisters. Would the pros here recommend the 182cm instead?
danf

Postby Chris Moore » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:53 am

Danf-

There's no right or wrong here but most of us do prefer the longer Twister. Given your height and weight we would definitely recommend the 182 for you rather than the 175. I think you'll find that the added length provides a bit more of a "cushion" when absorbing the bumps which is something you'll take advantage of more and more as your skiing improves. In the end the overall user friendliness of the Twister vs. the Scratch will probably be a more noticeable difference to you than the length.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out!

-Chris
Chris Moore
Site Admin

Postby savemeasammy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Fwiw, I'm 5'9" 155ish and am on 175 f17's. I'd think you'd want to be on longer skis than 175's.
savemeasammy

Postby danf » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like 182cm is best for me.

Chris, you mentioned the user friendliness of the Twisters. A couple of weeks ago I skied with someone (much better than me) who was on the Twisters. Just standing there he could easily bend the tips of this Twisters. I can't do that by just standing on the tip of my Rossi Exhibition Scratch Moguls. I suspect that is what makes the Twisters friendlier. Any idea if the Fatypus B-Nasty's are any more or less user friendly than the Twisters? I like the extra width and versatility of the B-Nasty but my main goal is to improve my mogul skiing. I can do fairly well in most bumps, but when it gets really steep and the bumps get really big I need all the help I can get.

On a separate note, I took a couple of Momentum Ski Clinic classes at Blackcomb. The coaches seemed to have no trouble ripping bumps on park skis. But then again, they are pro World Cup mogul skiers so just a tad over my level.
danf

Postby coloradoskier » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

So, just to keep this thread going into a new season... I'm considering a pair of Twisters for the coming season. I am 5'7" (on a good day), 175 lb, and though 60-ish very athletic (gym rat, martial arts, and skiing all my life). In the past, I've always gravitated toward longer lengths than typically recommended for my lack of height (180 +/-). A bit old school on technique and enjoy sitting back (Killy style for those who remember that). I'm undecided between the Twister in 168 vs 175 so thoughts are welcome.

Also a question on boots. I have a 5-year old Tecnica boot of moderate stiffness but have recently resorted to using my upright Dynafit AT boot in all conditions on both my AT skis and downhill skis. They are so comfortable and seem quite versatile. Any thoughts on using that boot on the Twister.

Finally, and here is where you will all think I'm crazy, I'm quite comfortable using my TEC binding and AT boot in all downhill conditions. So, a TEC binding with my AT boot on the Twister? Could be an expensive experiment but I wonder how that would play out.
coloradoskier

Postby Old School » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Use the right tool for the right job. Forget the AT setup on the twisters. Get a pair of Look bindings and you will have a great setup. Regarding ski length at 175 lbs, the 168 just wouldn't do. It wouldn't be enough ski for you. On a personal note, I am 162, lbs 62 years old and ski the twister in a 182. It works in the bumps but you can ski all over the mountain with it. But on a big day, I go to a wider ski.
Old School

Return to General Mogul Skiing