My Dream: Resorts Would Post Bump Reports

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

My Dream: Resorts Would Post Bump Reports

Postby Chachi639 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:39 pm

I'm seeing a lot of Tahoe ski areas that post a daily "grooming report" on their web page.

If it's not a powder day, as I'm deciding where to start my day what I really want to know instead is where's the bumps?

Too often, I've had it happen where I head to a specific, favorite bump run only to find that the mountain manager groomed it yesterday. It's listed as ungroomed today but there sure ain't bumps.

What I''d like to see on the grooming report is enough information that you know where there's bumps, too. I'm posting this to get brainstorming comments. What could ski areas do, relatively easily, that would help? I'm thinking as a start that they could change wording on their grooming report from "Groomed" instead to say "Last Groomed," and then list a date. I'm probably delusional to think they'd ever consider doing this?

I'm trying to figure out how to word this crackpot idea before I hit up the suggestion boxes at the worst offenders.

End rant
Chachi639

Re: My Dream: Resorts Would Post Bump Reports

Postby Jeffy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Its either Aspen Highlands or Snowmass (or both) that actually highlight runs that usually have moguls on them right on the paper trail maps they hand out! How awesome is that!
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby spetrecky » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:01 am

inspired by this post...I just posted a complaint on the heavenly Facebook page...where's the bumps and if they aren't there natural then make some. I will repost often until I see some action, and get more colorful with the language the longer it takes to see them make some or blow snow on a dedicated bump trail.
spetrecky

Postby pez » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:19 pm

Great idea. And great idea piping up to resort management. I don't have high hopes for this or for resorts letting more runs bump up, but hey, it's worth a try.
pez

Postby SSSdave » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:14 am

In this fat ski era, Tahoe resorts would have little reason to do so as the audience is too small. Simply not many advanced skiers interested in bump lines. And if they did offer a terse input like "West Face has bumps", that would hardly have value. That said there will always be moguls because we skiers naturally make them in repeatedly skied steeper areas. Also some slopes may have moguls but if they haven't been skied frequently enough by other mogul skiers loosening up snow down lines, the experience may not be positive. Better to have current resort reports by actual mogul skiers on a board like this.

For instance I have a pass this season for Kirkwood and as a m-f 8-5 working person expect to ski many weekends. Thus can occasionally comment on mogul slopes at that resort with much more meaningful information than some one-liner a resort might offer similar to what they relate about their groomed slopes. Information about mogul slopes can quickly become out of date as larger new storms bury slopes. That is especially the case for resorts that receive lots of snow like my resort. But if one knows which runs are never groomed at a given resort which bump skiers regularly ski down, the answer is merely a matter of keeping track of recent weather. Thus if it hasn't snowed much since the last report one can expect moguls to be similar to that of last reports and if it has been dumped on, will need several days to build and shape them up again.

The season is just now beginning and nowhere in The West has enough snow to open much in the way of groomed slopes much less bumped up slopes that need greater depths. In just a few weeks that is likely to change, especially if El Nino comes through.

I skied KW Friday and then the week before on Wednesday and can add that Shotgun off the Reut Chair has some nice small to moderate sized bumps right now for anyone interested in getting some early season exercise re-awakening their form and muscles. Snow quality is 7 or 8 on a 10 scale unusually dry and light but depth is marginal with some rocks lurking. Resort officially is relating a 26 inch base. So not a run to rip down on the first run but rather wisely take a good look at to understand lines to ski and others to avoid. Not a long run with maybe 300 feet of vertical bumped up but hey I probably did at least a half dozen non stoppers down that yesterday which was more than enough at this point of the season. And yeah was too much fun. All the steeper more advanced off the ridge runs need more snow. The Wall at least 2 or 3 more feet. Yes there are some moguls already on a couple ridge runs but way too many rocks and tree tops sticking through for anyone with expensive skis.
SSSdave

Postby pez » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:28 am

Most resorts don't give a crap about bump skiers. There aren't enough of us to make a financial impact for resorts to cater to us. The only exceptions in the US are probably WP and Killington, where bump skiing is part of their marketing "brand". Secondly, in order to have good bump lines, you need a critical mass of good bump skiers so that lines are consistent and not chopped up or cut across by traversing, snowboarders, or such. Sure, Squaw can tout the West Face of KT has bumps, but it's mostly crappy bumps made by rocker skis, snowboarders, and hacks.

I think a better idea would be to start up some kind of social media - a Twitter feed, or maybe an app, where bump skiers can post bump run conditions in real time so that others can know which resorts and which runs have good bump lines. The only thing is, the WP posts would pretty much always be, "bumps are sweet today". 8)
pez

Return to General Mogul Skiing