Grooming Frustrations

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Grooming Frustrations

Postby SD_skier » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:52 pm

So my home mountain has a bad habit of grooming the best bump runs and it is killing me. Like everywhere, they groom the major, popular runs daily. Which I get and know must be done. Then there are some ancillary lower angle runs that develop great bump lines, but are groomed over every week or two weeks. My guess is that they prioritize grooming resources for the most important thoroughfares and popular runs, then get to these secondary runs whenever possible.

There are plenty of runs that the resort won't touch and in turn develop big bumps. The problem is that these are usually really steep runs that never develop good bump lines. They are usually so steep that people change their turns, side slip or traverse....leaving terrible lines. Think of a run steep enough to be a black diamond run at most resorts even if it were groomed. While the relatively lower angle runs, that are inviting enough for skiers of all abilities & hence get lots of traffic, and develop nice lines as a result........get groomed every few weeks. So just when the lines get good, they are groomed flat.

The result is that the mountain has very steep, unorganized moguls with no decent lines OR groomed intermediate pitch runs. There are no consistent lower angle bump runs. Consequently, intermediate skiers don't have a place to get comfortable skiing moguls and more advanced bump skiers can't find decent zipper lines. Ironically, when these lower angle bump runs do develop (prior to being groomed), they seem really popular. I see people of all abilities skiing them and people really seem to like being in there.

I personally, along with a few other people I know, have emailed the mountain asking for the grooming madness to stop. We even suggested split grooming. "Just leave one line of bumps on either side of the groomed run", we pleaded. The response was apathetic at best. "We can't split groom for XYZ reason", or "why don't you try this or that run (which are terrible)", etc. etc. etc..

Knowing that bump skiing is not a high priority for many resorts, are there any suggestions on how to approach the issue with a local resort? What has worked for your home mountains?
SD_skier

Re: Grooming Frustrations

Postby rondo320 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:54 pm

See if you can arrange a face-to-face meeting with the manager but don't go alone. Pack the meeting with angry bumpers. But even that probably won't work.
Two weekends ago, you couldn't fit another skier on Little Burn at Copper if you tried. Other than Mine Dump and the inconveniently located I-Dropper, Little Burn has some of the only consistent lines at the area. Do you think management might allow the bumps to develop on a similar run? No, the crowds on the bump runs make no impression on management and their mania for grooming. They know best.
Every May, Ramrod at A-Basin becomes the finest bump run in Colorado. Every May, Al and his management buddies can't wait to mow down the finest bump run in Colorado. Last year we bombarded Al's Blog with obscenities and pleas to not groom Ramrod. It worked for about a week, then Al couldn't resist his mad grooming because Al knows best and Al doesn't ski bumps.
Good luck but other than buying out and taking over management of your local area, you are doomed to the groomed.
rondo320

Postby SSSdave » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 pm

I'm an old guy and have been whining your tune for years. Truth is all the resort peeps explanations are BS and reality is most running resorts for last couple decades HATE bumps although they will rarely admit that in public. Oh most of them are advanced skiers but never learned how to ski bumps smoothly so are jealous when they see us doing what they cannot. Not just at your resort but rather at most major resorts in the West same story. Really turned for the worse in the mid 90s. After Mosely won the 98 gold and Stump with Plake's Fistful of Moguls, most all became rabid exterminators. Especially any bump runs under lifts where customers might see us. But hey there will ALWAYS be moguls because we skiers make em with our turns whether they like em or not.

Dave
SSSdave

Postby BushMogulMaster » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:58 pm

Not to toot my own horn, but............ if you haven't already, show them this: http://www.saminfo.com/article/speakout ... all-moguls

Tell them if it was good enough for SAM Magazine to publish, both online and in print, it's good enough for them to at least consider.
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby SD_skier » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks! I might try all of the above. Although, I have low expectations. Sad as it is, seems like mogul skiing really is a dying sport and resort grooming just proves it. Resorts are lining up to spend 6 figures, in some cases 7 figures, to develop terrain parks.....while they actually spend additional money to remove bump lines. Nonetheless, I will take up the cause with my local mountain. The irony is that my home mountain is home to an incredible freestyle team that develops fantastic bump competitors. Albeit they do it on a course closed to the general skiing public!
SD_skier

Postby sunshine 50 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:03 am

I encountered the same situation when I started skiing at Sunshine village the first year so I shot them a nice email telling them about the benefits of having more bump runs.
This year we went from 3 bump runs to at least 12. They are all black diamond which is fine with me.
sunshine 50

Return to General Mogul Skiing