Fatypus B-Nasty

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Re: Fatypus B-Nasty

Postby pez » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:49 pm

since it's a Salomon, destruction is just around the corner!

Hey, I have fond memories of my 1080 Moguls. Those were nice.
pez

Postby bendtheski » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:22 am

^They were, but mine delamed in one season. Also no tail whatsoever on that ski, which made it hard to stay centered on (IMO).

For Colorado, I've come to the conclusion that I don't need anything narrower than the 83mm waisted Thruster, but I really want to give the B-Nasty a spin and see if that changes my mind.

Jared was blowing them out for $290.00 a few weeks ago. Should have picked them up then, but grabbed the I-Rocks instead. Currently their website has the B-Nasty for $490.00 which is down from the $620.00 full price, but at this point I think I'm gonna wait and see if the $290.00 price magically re-appears.
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby Derkleiner » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:49 pm

yeah I would try to pick up a second pair of B-Nasties for that price. I got out this morning in about 4 inches of new snow and took the first run on the bump skis to see what they would feel like. I thought they did pretty well for being super skinny. I'm hoping it was enough to freshen up the bump lines here in CB for the next week or so. I actually talked to my friend Seth who is the east coast rep about some of the mounting stuff he's heard. I actually heard him say one of our friends, who is a shop tech, put the D-Sender at -3 from factory and loved it. I've been playing around a bit and found that detuning the edges a few more inches from the tail got rid of the tail wierdness. My overall impression is that there is no need for me to have anything but a pair of these and a pow ski. The versatility of this ski is pretty mindboggling. I've gotten out on some of the steeps here in Crested Butte and totally loved it. I can't imagine someone who likes to ski mostly moguls wanting something different. All mountain skis take away too much bump performance.
I feel the more places I go the more squatchy this country feels.
Derkleiner

Postby shreadley » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Ok, here's my take for what it's worth, I just came off a few years on f-17's and wall moguls both of which had what I thought were hideous cosmetics but were great bump skis. I put them both on ebay and sold both to one person out east who got a great deal by the way. I got a pair of b-nasty's which, in my opinion are better the the previous two.
I mount every ski I've owned for the last 8 to 10 years. and my formula is to measure the contact length, split the difference and that is the where the ball of my foot is located. (It's an old school formula) The binding is drilled accordingly. Now, on the walls, it turns out to be forward of boot center about 2 cm. The F-17's are also forward but only about 1 cm. On the B-nasty, that formula is spot on boot center. I would say the designer who someone mentioned to be a prolific bump skier likes the mount exactly where I do. So.....do what you will but use this is another opinion, thats all.
shreadley

Postby SD_skier » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:11 pm

I bought a pair of B-Nasty's through BPappas on the forum and have logged a few days on them over the past couple weeks. As someone who has never been on Fatypus skis before, I thought I'd give some feedback and initial thoughts. The B-Nastys are 72 underfoot vs. most bump skis I've skied which are in the mid 60's underfoot. In addition to being pretty stiff, the ski also has materially more shape than any other bump ski I've used (or even seen).

The B-Nastys absolutely rail GS turns and hold carves better than any other bump ski I've tried. No chatter, no washing out during turns. In the bumps, the B-Nastys are very good but not perfect. I find the shape in the tips, with the extra width, sometimes gets in the way. Also, my bindings are mounted at the factory suggested spot, but the tails feel a bit long. Although, as I get used to the skis, these issues could become less noticeable.

All in all, I am really happy with the B-Nasty's, but I think their application is a pretty important factor. I am not skiing moguls competitively, but do spend about 80% of my time in the bumps. I really wanted an everyday driver that could perform well in the bumps, but also not sacrifice a lot outside of the bumps. Basically an all mountain ski, that rips the bumps. The B-Nastys do that really well. However, if I was skiing moguls competitively I would opt for something narrower, straighter and that gets edge to edge quicker. Perhaps even softer. So based on how they are being used, they could be a great mogul ski for someone.
SD_skier

Postby Old School » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:02 am

Nice Review.
Old School

Postby skinnyskis » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:26 pm

SD_skier wrote:I am not skiing moguls competitively, but do spend about 80% of my time in the bumps. I really wanted an everyday driver that could perform well in the bumps, but also not sacrifice a lot outside of the bumps. Basically an all mountain ski, that rips the bumps.

Great review, sounds like a good choice for someone who wants a bit more width (and perhaps versatility) in their mogul ski. I wouldn't however underestimate their competition pedigree (that's Babic holding up a pair on a World Cup podium).

PARK CITY, UT - JANUARY 31: David Babic, Guilbert Colas of France and Alexandr Smyshlyaev of Russia pose for photographers on the winners podium after the Dual Moguls during the Visa Freestyle International, a FIS Freestyle World Cup event, at Deer Valley Resort January 31, 2009 in Park City, Utah.

I've never had the opportunity to ski a pair but I'd really like to try them in a back to back comparison with my twisters (both skis share the same sidecut).
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Postby bendtheski » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:51 am

There must be something wrong with me...

I tried to like the B-Nasty, but just couldn't make it happen. Maybe it was the stiffness, maybe the length, or maybe it's because I've spent the past decade smearing my turns on 80mm+ park skis? My impression was that the nasty demands a higher level of commitment from the pilot, and most of the time, I just don't feel like working that hard. Whatever the reason, I kept finding myself running back to the car for either my 83mm 171cm Solly Thrusters, or my 91mm 179cm Rocker2 92s. Eventually I just gave up and gifted them to my brother with some brand new look pivot 14's for him or his kids to use. (I'm way too nice to my brother/nephews) Look Pivot brakes are a pain in the ass to change out, and I doubt I'm going to be in the market for another pair of sub 75mm skis anytime in the near future, so I just donated the complete package.

I would like to try a pair of Twisters if only to satisfy my curiosity, and hopefully eliminate any doubt about needing a dedicated bump ski in my quiver. Maybe someone at bumpapalooza will have a similar BSL (297mm I think), and be willing to let me take their pair for a test drive (Frank/Mike?).

Meanwhile, I brought a mismatched pair of 80mm 171cm Gen2 1080's out of retirement last season for some May slush bumps on Superstar, and was really impressed by how much better I liked them than the 83mm thrusters! I also had the opportunity to ski a few days at the end of May at A-basin on the Rocker2 92's, which totally killed it!

Did not shoot any ugly viddy of me skiing the B-Nasty's; nothing to see here folks, move along.

The Rocker2 92's are just about dead, so I just pulled the trigger on a new pair of 173cm Dynastar Distorters. 50/50 AM/Park, 119/87/109 with a little early-rise in the tip/tail and narrow enough for me to ski with my feet together, and ski the deepest of pow without burying a tip, eating shit, and looking foolish. (probably only Old School will appreciate this reference, but if it gets one chuckle, it was worth it) These are most likely what I'll be bringing to bumpapalooza, and hopefully won't disqualify me from participating. Seems like park skis are just better suited to where and how I like to ski. I did spend the pre-bumpapalooza Wednesday ripping around MJ with Old School and Rutland Mike last year, and props to both of you for what you're able to accomplish on skinny skis in soft snow! Looking forward to a repeat performance this year!

I need to check in with my bro about whether the B-Nasty's are seeing any use. If they're just collecting dust, I'll post something here so someone else can give them a whirl. Skis are currently residing in Pittsfield, VT, 12 miles from Killington, but not many bump skiers in that area from what I hear, so prolly have to ship elsewhere...;-)
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby SD_skier » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:31 pm

I've got about 60-75 days on my B-Nasty's since buying them and can honestly say I am hooked. Even though they are probably stiffer and wider than most bump skis, I really dig the ski all the way around. Although I was a little unsure about the ski's prowess in the bumps at first, that has passed as I've gained some mileage on them. I really like their versatility. I will most likely buy another pair as my next bump ski. For those of you ready to pick up a pair now you should check out the Fatypus website. They have B-Nasty's on sale for $275. https://www.fat-ypus.com/product/b-nasty/ It's tough to buy a pair of bindings for <$300, let alone new skis.
SD_skier

Postby TTorse » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:57 pm

Hey Tom, you're welcome to come to Cooper and jump on my Twisters any time you'd like, or next time we're at WP on the same day. I have a 301 BSL, but my Pivot bindings can adjust down from there about 6 or 7 mm so you can get in them just fine. I think you'll want to buy a pair, they're that awesome.
TTorse

Postby bendtheski » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:42 am

Thanks Tony!

Are you going to be skiing A-Basin at all this spring? I just picked up the double-down pass, so planning on getting out for as many days as possible before they close down for the year, which hopefully won't be for another 2.5 months.
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby SD_skier » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:48 pm

Not sure what happened, but since I posted my earlier comment about the B-Nasty being on sale for less than $300, Fatypus has since raised the "sale" price of the B-Nasty to $490. Might still be worth a look, but not the screaming deal it was a few weeks ago.
SD_skier

Previous

Return to General Mogul Skiing