Fatypus B-Nasty

This is the place to discuss anything mogul-related that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Fatypus B-Nasty

Postby Derkleiner » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 am

Hi everyone. Just got onto this forum recently. I have noticed there is not much info on the Fatypus B-Nasty. My good friend Seth is the east coast rep for the company. He is sending me my first pair of these skis. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience skiing these sticks and if they have any setup advice. I currently ski a k2 cabrawler in the 173 length. I will be on in a few weeks to post a full report on these skis so that people will have some info on them. The tip shape and dimensions of this ski seem quite interesting. I own a pair of the I-Rock skis from this company and I'm amped on the durability of their build. I ski Crested butte if anyone on here is nearby and want's to shred. I will also be mounting a look pivot 14 so I don't need any binding advice thanks.
I feel the more places I go the more squatchy this country feels.
Derkleiner

Re: Fatypus B-Nasty

Postby bendtheski » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:05 am

I'll be very interested to read your impressions. I've got a 3yr old pair of d-senders 174cm, and LOVE THEM!!! Bomber construction, light, and playful as hell. I have no idea what a Fatypus bump ski would be like, but based on my experience with the d-senders, I would be surprised if they are anything less than AWESOME!

I'm pretty sure there's room in my quiver for at least one more pair of Fatypus'. I heard they're releasing some new models for SIA. Can't wait to see what's new!
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby Derkleiner » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:51 pm

I finally got my B-Nasty skis in and mounted. My first impressions are that they rock!!! First off the build of this ski is just bomber. I love the slight early rise in the tip, it really busts through crud and the flex of these is definitely stiffer than my K2 cabrawlers. I feel there is a little more tail on the B-nastys than on the cabrawler and it will take a little getting used to at full speed. I love the even feeling of the flex. When they hit the face of a mogul at full speed the rebound is really spot on. So for the bumps these things are pretty much as the name implies super nasty. The thing i didn't expect is how they ski all mountain. I enjoyed skiing the cabrawler everywhere as an all mountain ski. With that being said, the B-Nasty is in every way superior. This thing will lay down some nasty carves on the groomer, and skiing some of the sunbaked fresh snow we had here at Crested Butte today was quite enjoyable with it. It does far better all mountain than the K2's and I think it is a better flex for moguls. Overall if you are in the market for a new bump ski which WILL ski all mountain you should definitely give this ski a chance. You will at least keep some money stateside by supporting a U.S company as well. David Babic really designed a hell of a ski with this one.
Derkleiner

Postby bendtheski » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:42 pm

^I also read that Fat-ypus' owner Jared Mazlish is an old Pro-Mogul skier. I got to chat with Jared for a while when I went to pick up a new pair of I-Rocks, and aside from being a super nice guy, he has some great ideas and is very passionate about making the best ski possible. I hope he's able to keep it going for a bunch of years so I can round out my quiver to all Fat-ypus; they're that good!!!
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby Derkleiner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:21 am

I feel the same way. I have a pair of I-Rock's and I love that ski for deep days. The only other ski I need is the D-sender and I feel I'd have the ultimate quiver. I've been looking at the mounting point on the B-Nasties and I'm thinking I'm going to move them back 1cm to see what happens. I currently have a px mounted to them and I'm going to put a look pivot on next season. I feel I can get a little more speed out of the B-nasty if I move it back 1cm from the factory mount. It looks like their suggested mount is a little more centered than what I'm used to. Until then I'm going to try detuning the tails a bit more to see if that helps. I got to ski the B-nasties in a couple inches of snow this morning and got to see how well they handle variable conditions. The 2 inches Crested Butte got last night fell on some frozen crud. I skied some real crusty moguls and these were definitely more stable than my old cabrawlers.
Derkleiner

Postby pez » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 pm

If you don't mind my asking, what length B-Nasty's did you get, and what's your height/weight?
pez

Postby Derkleiner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 pm

The B-Nasty is only made in a 175. I am 5'11" and weigh 165 pounds.
Derkleiner

Postby fulton » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:46 am

Derkleiner, I totally agree with you. I bought a pair last year in Breck, and your right, they are a sick bump ski but they shred everything, they have a little more shape than most bumps skis. I was talking to Jared when I was out there, he is a cool dude.
fulton

Postby pez » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:15 am

The B-Nasty is only made in a 175. I am 5'11" and weigh 165 pounds.

Hey, thanks. So you found the length works for you? Also, where along the ski did you mount the bindings? Factory recommended?
pez

Postby Derkleiner » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 am

Yeah I feel that the 175 is a fine length. I am a k2 cabrawler convert so the length definitely doesn't bother me. I actually am one of the few people that found the factory mount on the k2's to be just fine. I don't like alot of tail hangin out back there. With that said I feel that the factory mount on the fatypus skis to be a little more center than I would prefer. Since no one has really posted much on the B-nasties I just figured I'd mount them at the suggested line. I feel that I would move the bindings 1cm if not more back from suggested. As I said before I'm used to not having much tail from skiing the cabrawler's factory mount for years. I'm going to make do with the factory line until next season when I intend to remount the skis with a look pivot. At that point I"m going to try moving the mount -1cm from the line. I have had other people note that fatypus seems to put their mounts a little center. Some friends of mine said that the D-Sender ski they make really comes alive when you mount it -1.5 cm from thier suggested line. I think if you have skied a bump ski before look at your current mount and decide whether you are a little centered or if you're back a little bit. If you try the Fatypus, mount according to how you prefer your setup. Even though I feel the mount is forward this ski rips through the bumps, and I still prefer it to the k2's.
Derkleiner

Postby Derkleiner » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 am

in reply to Fulton. It's interesting that you mention these having more shape than most bump skis. I've noticed a trend of more and more companies adding a bit more sidecut to thier mogul skis. Volkl has totally changed the Wall mogul's shape. The hart f-17 is also a shapely ski. Also since the B-Nasty came out a few years ago a few of the companies are following the fatypus lead by changing the tip shapes of their bump skis. Fortitude skis makes the lincoln mogul ski with an almost identical shape to the fatypus skis. Also the tip on volkl has changed to a more snubby early rise shape and the k2 244 has a little more snubbed nose than my cabrawlers and certainly more snubby than the old power mamba. I find it interesting that some of the new ski tech is finally finding it's way successfully into new mogul ski design. I find the new early rise tip shapes to really enhance the capability of the skis to bust through funky conditions without deflecting. It's something you will definitely notice being out in real bumps as opposed to skiing course moguls. One important thing to mention finally about the B-nasty is that the early rise is not deep into the ski at all. So don't worry about it really decreasing the effective edge of the ski. They also have a ton of camber. If you hold the skis base to base you'll see about a 1.5 inch gap between them.
Derkleiner

Postby pez » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:48 pm

Derkleiner,
Thanks for the info. I'm currently on Volkl Dragonslayers - gettin' a bit worn out. They're center-mounted, which I love, but that's about 1.5cm forward of factory rec. From what I've been told, the Cabs are on the softer side, so are the B-Nasty's stiffer? I like the Dragons as they're a bit on the stiffer side, and so I'd probably prefer a stiffer ski.

RE: the new technology, maybe this is for a separate post, but I've wondered if rocker or reverse camber technology have any role at all in bump skis. I would think not, but would love to hear folks' with more expertise than me with their opinions.
pez

Postby Blanton » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:04 pm

I would think mounting a mogul ski 1- 1.5 centimeters behind where it is meant to be mounted is a really really bad idea. Yes, it might feel faster but that's because the ski will be harder to turn and stay balanced on.

It also sounds like you are confusing center mount with forward. Center mount refers to literally splitting the ski in half for park/ switch riding. Something to think about if you ask your shop to center mount your mogul skis.

I've never skied the Fatypus but those are my initial thoughts.
Blanton

Postby Derkleiner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:00 am

I know maybe my wording was a little confusing. No I would never consider mounting a mogul ski centered that's just crazy talk my friend :lol: really???? Okay what I'm trying to convay is this. Take my old k2's in a 173 length put them next to the B-nasty in a 175 and it seems ALL the extra length is in the tail of the B-nasty. This is based on both being mounted at the factory recommended mount. I personally never found my k2's hard to turn being mounted at the recommended line. Sorry about using the word center/ centered at all. I was just trying to say that it will take getting used to the mount being more forward.
Derkleiner

Postby bendtheski » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Not sure if this is relvant, but I mounted the I-Rocks on the line and my initial impression was that I wanted to be further back, possibly due to the combination of early-rise and flat-tail. I de-tuned the tips and tails, and now they feel fine. I went with a 176cm for my 5' - 6" 170lb girth, and they don't feel too short, especially with the flat tail. I mounted them with barons, but might put in inserts so I can run lighter non-touring binders 1-2cm back for inbounds days.

My D-Senders are a couple of years old, and pre-early rise tip/tail. They're 174cm, mounted on the line, and feel perfect right where they are, but sometimes easy to dive the tip in soft snow which is why I picked up the I-Rocks. No idea what the D-Sender ER skis like, but when I finally destroy my current Senders, I'll be looking at the ER and the new D'Riddum which is a 118mm waisted 5-point ski as a replacement.

Anyhoo, based on my experience with the I-Rock FT, and what you guys are saying about the B-Nasty, 1-2cm behind the recommended line might be a good rule of thumb. YMMV.

If I have the chance to demo any more Fatys, I'm going to see if they'll set them up on the line for a few runs, and then 1-2 back for a few, and will post my impressions, although I've got to destroy a few pair in my quiver before I can justify buying anything new. Thinking specifically of replacing some overly soft and short Solly Thrusters that are my current bump ski with the B-Nasty, and since it's a Salomon, destruction is just around the corner! :mrgreen:
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Next

Return to General Mogul Skiing