Ibuprofen bad for injury recovery

Favorite TV shows, latest ingenious discovery in your life, new car, etc. This is place to discuss whatever it is your heart desires. Except... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... no politics. Take it somewhere else!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Ibuprofen bad for injury recovery

Postby mjskier » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Since I'm most likely going under the knife next month I have been doing some research into injury recovery. One finding that might be of interest to all of you popping "Vitamin I" like it is candy (you know who you are :lol:) is that research is starting to filter out that the body needs to be aware of an injury to treat it. This is especially true for ligaments and tendons, and to a certain extent cartilage. Orthopedic surgeons are now telling people to lay off the ibuprofen and just control pain with tylenol if needed.
Kind of a confirmation of that in my mind is "prolotheraphy" where they inject an irritant into the joint to promote self healing.

Anyway, those of you who make money shorting Advil owe me a cut :wink:
mjskier

Re: Ibuprofen bad for injury recovery

Postby Jeffy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:37 am

Good to know! But I don't know what you are talking about.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby B-Stead » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:15 pm

Just saw this and remembered this post. (Yah, I can't remember what I did this morning, but I can remember this post from July)

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/0 ... /?emc=eta1

... NSAIDs actually slowed the healing of injured muscles, tendons, ligament, and bones. “NSAIDs work by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins,”substances that are involved in pain and also in the creation of collagen, Warden says. Collagen is the building block of most tissues. So fewer prostaglandins mean less collagen, “which inhibits the healing of tissue and bone injuries,” Warden says, including the micro-tears and other trauma to muscles and tissues that can occur after any strenuous workout or race.

The painkillers also blunt the body’s response to exercise at a deeper level. Normally, the stresses of exercise activate a particular molecular pathway that increases collagen, and leads, eventually, to creating denser bones and stronger tissues. If “you’re taking ibuprofen before every workout, you lessen this training response,” Warden says. Your bones don’t thicken and your tissues don’t strengthen as they should. They may be less able to withstand the next workout. In essence, the pills athletes take to reduce the chances that they’ll feel sore may increase the odds that they’ll wind up injured — and sore.
B-Stead

Postby Jeffy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:09 am

So then my post ski therapy should be tequila and Tylenol? Not Advil. Is that the message I am getting here?
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby mogulsensei » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Maybe frost the rim of the glass with crushed tylenol instead of salt.

Advil is really tough on your stomach as well.
mogulsensei

Return to Open Forum