Who rides here?

Favorite TV shows, latest ingenious discovery in your life, new car, etc. This is place to discuss whatever it is your heart desires. Except... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... no politics. Take it somewhere else!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Who rides here?

Postby Blanton » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:00 pm

My ride for this summer...

If you think vision is important in skiing I suggest you try riding one of these down a hill
Blanton

Re: Who rides here?

Postby mondeo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Just a roadie, I'll expand to XC MTB next year.

My ride:
mondeo

Postby mjskier » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:54 pm

Here's my summer ride:

Bruno.
mjskier

Postby CRoss » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:38 pm

I hung up the bike this year. After competing for 12 years I am burnt out on the bike. With all my racing I have learned a ton that translates over to the ski world. i am hoping to use it to my advantage this winter on the snow.
Are those your skis?.....both of them?......Cool!
CRoss

Postby PomfretPlunge » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Cross, what are some of the things that translate best from bike to skiing?
PomfretPlunge

Postby Blanton » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Active vision, leg strength, generating power while staying loose, basic coordination, etc
Blanton

Postby CRoss » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:25 pm

Body position, and vision are the big ones. Mental preparedness is another one.

Everyone says you need to look ahead, but there is a lot more to vision than that. You need to look ahead and find a point(most likely where you want to go) and focus on it. When you focus vs scanning your peripherals come into focus. When your eyes see something in the peripherals your brain instantly reacts. If you look at something(glance down for a split second to make sure you miss a rock) your brain has to identify and then decided what to do. In a sport like DH racing or mogul skiing that slight amount of time makes a huge difference. There are various drills I do on the bike to practice looking ahead and focusing. On a flat surface setup five cones in the pattern like on a dice or slightly more rectangular. Space the corners about 20' apart. Now roll around the outside of the cones then cross over in the center making a figure 8. Concentrate on looking and focusing on two cones ahead. You switch your eyes from one cone to the next right as you pass a cone. Then you start working other things like body position into the drills as you circle around the cones.

Body position is not an exact switch over. It is more body awareness. Cornering on a bike has some similar aspects as far as locating your body over your skis or wheels to keep from sliding. Keeping your upper body upright and level is very similar in each. The other big one is just range of motion. Being able to be loose on the bike and allow the bike to move around under you is huge. Just like in skiing moguls if you do not allow your body to move with A&E you will struggle. Pumping rollers and berms is bikings version of A&E. In the start gate of the race I always take and lower my chest all the way down to touch my handlebar then back up until my arms are fully extended. I do this a few times just to loosen the arm muscles up to allow for this full range of motion. On your bike riding DH if you find your chest never comes close to your handlebar you are riding way to stiff. If you never move your body through the full range of motion you are expecting it to do you will never achieve that full range of motion.

Being able to focus on a bike and pick your lines and stick to them is a big mental game. One of the key things to help this happen is trusting yourself to just let your body do what you have trained it to do. My fastest race runs felt very slow. I came out of the start gate and just did everything I did in practice. My body had learned what to do and did it. I did not try and think my way down every section of the course. Just like with vision if you let your body just react it will do it faster vs trying to evaluate every rock as it come at you. The key is teaching your body what the correct actions are. This is when all those boring drills in the parking lot or on the groomers for skiers come into play. On the bike if you look at a rock 10 feet in front of you and try to make the decision what to do you are already to late. Same with in the moguls if you are looking at the mogul or two in front of you you are to late and already behind. When I start down a mogul field I am already thinking about the fourth or fifth mogul. On the bike I am looking a good 20+ in front of me. Anything closer the decision for what to do has already been made and committed to.
CRoss

Postby Blanton » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Good stuff... I read the Brian Lopes book and found it to be very thorough although a lot of it is beginner XC oriented. I raced bmx pretty competitive for about 10 years and am really getting into the big bikes. Any suggestions on where to pick up some more advice? Being in Ohio there is a relatively small scene so it's tough to just "watch the pros".

One of the first things that I picked up is how expensive these bikes are to maintain. :shock:
Blanton

Postby CRoss » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:42 pm

I would look into one of Gene Hamilton's clinics at http://www.betterride.net. It would be completely worth it to take a trip somewhere and attend one of his clinics. Even though you are learning you will get plenty of riding time. I think every race this season at least one of his students has been on the pro podium.

Other wise watch lots of videos, then ride with people faster than you. The World Cup this weekend from Mont Ste Anne will be live on http://www.Freecaster.com

The bikes get crazy expensive. My wallet is much happier I am not racing this year.

Good luck!
CRoss

Postby mjskier » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:32 am

CRoss wrote:I would look into one of Gene Hamilton's clinics at http://www.betterride.net.

Wow, small world! I met Gene at a flat track clinic in Colorado: http://www.americansupercamp.com/
He is the guy in the orange MAXXIS jersey:

Sliding around on minibikes. This was the most fun I've had on a bike in a long time.
mjskier

Postby CRoss » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:58 pm

Gene is a friend and a great coach/rider. He will even admit to not being in as good of shape as the other pro riders half his age but he still can beat a large majority of them. He knows what he is talking about and he backs it up by riding the way he is trying to teach.
CRoss

Return to Open Forum