New Member Introductions

Favorite TV shows, latest ingenious discovery in your life, new car, etc. This is place to discuss whatever it is your heart desires. Except... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... no politics. Take it somewhere else!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Re: New Member Introductions

Postby seashack » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi all. Great forum, exactly what is needed to connect wingnuts like us, since we are so few and far between especially in the East. I found this forum while researching new moguls skis. Reading some of the threads has helped reignite my fire for the bumps.

I live in Mass and I'm in my mid/late 30's, but I don't feel (or act :wink: )like it. My skiing history is: I started out at Wachusett Mtn. competing in the mid-late 80's eventually moving up North then out West (Squaw and Utah) for a few years. I competed in Nor-Ams for a number of years the last time being in the mid 90's. I may have even competed with some of you. I've skied all over and definitely prefer the snow and terrain out west. Flats are good for warm up or speed runs, but then it's time to ski the bumps or powder.

Before this year I skied once in 13 years. After watching the Olympics I started to look into what the new skis were like. I then decided that I wanted to see what these newfangled shaped skis were like to ski, so I demo'd some. They were OK I guess, but not revolutionary for me at least. I live in Mass with Wachusett 20 minutes away, that is part of the reason I didn't ski much. I went a couple of times in the last few weeks and it was the same story, after a few runs I was bored with the flats. Then one night they had bumps. The line pretty much sucked, but it did put a smile on my face and was enough to get me pumped up to want to get back into it. My biggest problem is I'm way off in the conditioning area. Even working out is not enough, although it would help a lot. The only way to be in skiing shape (especially for the bumps) is to actually do them as you all well know. I want to get back into it next year and ski a lot more.

Not having anyone to ski the bumps with is one reason for me not skiing for so long, most people just aren't that into them (or can't do them). I've checked out some of the threads and it looks like a good group of peeps here. Skiing with others that love the bumps too would be a great thing to have again. Next year is a long way off, but I hope to ski starting at the beginning of the season, not the end, and meet up with some of you.

Thanks for reading this far :wink:
Chris
seashack

Postby B-Stead » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 am

seashack, welcome to the boards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my recipe on how to get back into the sport:

1) Hit the gym, a lot
2) Purchase Twisters in a 182, with Salomon Z bindings with skinny brakes - Aspen East (talk to PJ Ewanos)
3) Meet up with me and other New England / Boston based old-school mogul skiers to shred - always someone to ski with (shred alone no more!)
4) Join the movement out west, once per year --> http://www.maryjanemogultour.com
5) Repeat annually

:-)

B-Stead
Killington/Castleton '89-94
B-Stead

Postby Cannonskier » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:57 am

Hello to all. I joined earlier this month and wanted to say great site and forums. It's nice to see a group keeping mogul skiing alive in an age of the terrain park and brutal grooming.

I have been skiing in NH since I was 5 (42 now ...ouch!) and love every minute of it. I get 35 to 40+ days in each season at Bode's hill.. Cannon. Although not known for great bump skiing it does have its days. Good enough for Dan DiPiro to photo illustrate his book from there though. I also enjoy Stowe quite a bit although I must admit that its hard to stay on Chin Clip when the trees skier's left are right there and deep with snow.

I have found like some of the other members, it's difficult to find others willing to ski bumps all day. If they only realized it would make their overall skiing better if they put some effort into them. Oh well.

Short list of places I need to get to are Mad River and Utah while I can still ski well enough to enjoy them. In the off season mountain biking keeps the blood pumping and fortunately NH has plenty to offer. My kids are getting older and they hopefully will share my passion as they continue to ski.

I look forward to learning more from all of you and helping out when I can.

Cannonskier
Cannonskier

Postby seashack » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks a lot B-Stead. Sounds like a recipe for success, maybe add a touch of POWDERed sugar to sweeten things up a bite. :wink:

I hate the gym, it’s soo boring. I figured another good reason for getting back into skiing was it is a fun work out and I can avoid the gym. I still can’t ski ‘recreationally’, and to ski the bumps you need to be in shape. So the gym might be a must, D’oh that one kind of bite me in the ass.

I have a lot to learn about the new equiptment. Slowly moving down in ski size. At one point I was on 195’s then my final competition ski was a Rossi 188 in the mid 90’s. I demo’d some shaped skis the 165’s were ridiculously short, I used to do inverted aerial on 160’s!!! 175’s even seemed short, but with the changes (and no first hand experience) I was thinking that might be the size to get, I’m 5’8”. I definitely like the ideal of something longer for more stability at speed and landings, so 182 might be the one. I’m with you on the Salomons, always like them and have a lot of experience with since since they sponsored me, wish they still did $$$. :( I’d love to meet up with you guys and going out West, well………
seashack

Postby seashack » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:38 pm

Mos def need new equiptment for next year. That final ski, the 188's from the 90's, old school Rossignol 4SM & 7S skinny skis with pointed tips and Rossi boots, are what I skied this year. They were top of the line when Rossi gave them to me. In fact, they were race stock (not avail in stores) and now Man, I feel like I'm from the 70's with these things. So go easy on me please, as I have a very fragile ego. :wink:
seashack

Postby B-Stead » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:54 am

seashack wrote:Mos def need new equiptment for next year. That final ski, the 188's from the 90's, old school Rossignol 4SM & 7S skinny skis with pointed tips and Rossi boots, are what I skied this year. They were top of the line when Rossi gave them to me. In fact, they were race stock (not avail in stores) and now Man, I feel like I'm from the 70's with these things. So go easy on me please, as I have a very fragile ego. :wink:

give me a shout to discuss .... pm sent

B-Stead
B-Stead

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:40 am

Hi there !
My name is Sandy. I live in Lyon - France. It's not too far from the Alps so I can go skiing almost every week end.
I do moguls and freeride, depending of the snow conditions and the resort where I am because sadly here in France we don't have much mogul slopes...
It's nice to have a board like this where we can share our passion.
Hope you will understand my English.
Sandy

Postby Jeffy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Sandy wrote:Hi there !
My name is Sandy. I live in Lyon - France. It's not too far from the Alps so I can go skiing almost every week end.
I do moguls and freeride, depending of the snow conditions and the resort where I am because sadly here in France we don't have much mogul slopes...

Bonjour Sandy! Your English is excellent. Welcome to the forum.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby B-Stead » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Sandy wrote:Hi there !

http://www.maryjanemogultour.com

* You can speak French with Bruno.

--
B-Stead

Postby Jeffy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Hmmm... Someone with the name 'mrfitness' just joined... I wonder who that might be. :)
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby Chris Moore » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:43 am

Jeffy wrote:<null>

Yeah, was confused by that one. I figured "Mr Fitness" would have been a member since way back. Was there another Mr Fitness? What were the chances there could be two Mr Fitnesses on the same forum? Then I remembered Mr Fitness isn't exactly Mr Technology so it probably is the real Mr Fitness but he has only just now obtained access to a computer. Welcome to the world Mr Fitness!
Chris Moore
Site Admin

Postby Jeffy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Chris Mo' wrote:
Jeffy wrote:<null>

Yeah, was confused by that one. I figured "Mr Fitness" would have been a member since way back. Was there another Mr Fitness? What were the chances there could be two Mr Fitnesses on the same forum? Then I remembered Mr Fitness isn't exactly Mr Technology so it probably is the real Mr Fitness but he has only just now obtained access to a computer. Welcome to the world Mr Fitness!

Its the one and only! He has had computer access for a long time and even is on FB! In fact, he joined years before me. He is probably just not that into internet discussion forums. Anyway, great to have him on here.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby newbumper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi

I'm Tom, I live in Iowa the anti-mogul capital of the world. I'm 58, I bike alot during the summer, and run some to. I've been skiing since I was 14, but mostly avoided the bumps, until now.

mostly because it's an easy drive (a measly 740 miles), I head to summit county in Spring for a week, generally keystone, or breckenridge. Other wise I hit the local hills on the weekend, but they groom any hint of a bump out of existence daily.

Great forum, love everyone's videos keep them coming.

Well just wanted to say hello
newbumper

Postby Jeffy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Welcome Tom!
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby pez » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Hey all,
Not really a new member, but an old one who is resurfacing...

I'm coming back after a very long hiatus from skiing and bumps. I had a user id of "user" on this board, but the email address I used is no longer in existence. Since last posting on the board here, I've been working too hard, and we had 3 kids, and haven't been skiing nearly enough. Anyway, it's about time to come up for air and get back into bump skiing for me!

In fact, I just came back from the last Winter Park Mogullogic session, trying to jumpstart the skiing. It was awesome!

Hope to catch up with you all!
pez

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum