Boots

Favorite TV shows, latest ingenious discovery in your life, new car, etc. This is place to discuss whatever it is your heart desires. Except... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... no politics. Take it somewhere else!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Boots

Postby dabiglabowski2001 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:17 pm

What boots do all you guys bump on? I've been on Salomon's 1080 freestyle boot the last 2 seasons, but I had to get 2 separate flex cuts to soften up the ankle a bit. Anyone heard about Nordica's Ignition boot, and their performance in the bumps?
dabiglabowski2001

Postby bumpfreaq » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:27 pm

I've been thinking about starting this thread too. I've been on Dalbello CRX something something for the last eight years or so. I've got feet that are difficult to fit and after five straight years of tweaks they are sweet. Of course this isn't stopping me from thinking I'd like a new pair of Il Moros.

Do you guys think a boot with a nice flex to it is important for WC style bumping?
bumpfreaq

Postby Jeffy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:55 am

boots are a tough call. It should really come down to fit. Way back in the day Raichle Flex-on comps were the shit. I think K2 is actually selling the same mold in a new name.

Today, I am using Nordica Speed Machine 14s. I still had to have blown out to fit my wide foot.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby bumpfreaq » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:41 am

The Raichle Flexons have spun off in two directions. They sold their molds to Full Tilt who now make the 'bumble bee' boot. As I understand it, it's virtually identical to the Flexon.

Dalbello, otoh, is making it's Krypton line which is basically an update of the Flexon. Both are renowned for their smooth forward flex.

The Il Moro is the new boot in the Krypton line designed by Glen Plake.
bumpfreaq

Re: Boots

Postby drewski180 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:09 am

I have heard/read different preferences on boot stiffness/flex and wanted your opinions. The instructors of "bump busters" at Copper felt you should get a boot as flexible as you could and there was NO reason to have a stiff boot. Others I've heard felt you needed a med-stiff boot and still other felt the best boot was a step below a race boot. I went with a med. stiffness boot that is very comfortable and possibly slightly on the stiff side. Do you all ski in soft flex boots or do you prefer a little stiffer boot to get more out of it?
drewski180

Postby CometKat » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:02 am

I think boot stiffness is all relative to your weight and skiing style. The most important thing for bumps after a good fit is to be able to bend at the ankle. I am on the Raichle Flexon Comp. The only other boot I have tried is the Dalbello Krypton Cross which has the slightly softer tongue than the Pro. I’d say the flex was about the same and perfect for bumps. I think to answer your question I would err or the softer side than the stiffer.
CometKat

Postby dabiglabowski2001 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:10 am

I used to like my boots to flex like noodles, but I feel that the faster and harder I hit each bump, just a little bit of stiffness helps so that I am not thrown forward and fall on my face. That said, I have found a boot that lets me rock all moguls on different pitches at high speeds: Nordica Ignition. It's a freestyle boot, and I am loving it this year. You can't put a flex cut in it, but you really don't need it. All I do is keep the power strap relatively loose and let 'er rip. And no, I am not a sales rep from Nordica.
Lovin's da moguls
dabiglabowski2001

Postby SkiDork » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:39 am

I think Icemans Langes might be too stiff... Gotta find something softer at the swap next October...
SkiDork

Postby user » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:47 pm

I think Icemans Langes might be too stiff... Gotta find something softer at the swap next October...
Report this post

Langes are often really stiff. I had a pair and I took out the hard plastic cuff that runs along the back in the liner, and I removed the screw that holds the flex stiff that's located on the back of the boot. If you do that, you need to plug it up with something so water doesn't leak into the boot. I don't know if Iceman's boots have these 2 things, but you might want to look into it.
user

Return to Open Forum