WTF is with the new indemnified list?

Favorite TV shows, latest ingenious discovery in your life, new car, etc. This is place to discuss whatever it is your heart desires. Except... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... no politics. Take it somewhere else!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

WTF is with the new indemnified list?

Postby eteled » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:48 am

So, I got me a new pair of mogul skis (Head Supermoguls in 171). I've never skied such a short ski before. I didn't want to yank the bindings (Head Mojo 15) off my skis from the last few seasons (same ski but in 181) because the Mojo 15's are heavy-ish and I really love those skis.

Anyway, I found me a nice set of Salomon 997 carbons. Lighter weight and strong as hell. I took them to have them mounted. Sure enough the jackasses of the NSSRA took the 977's and 997's off the indemnified list. No shop can mount these. Son of a bitch. :x

I could understand if these were some old ass crap bindings. But the materials and technology have not changed much since these bindings were sold in the mid 90's (we're talking non-rail or riser bindings). To me, this is how these arses sell crap. They force you to buy new stuff... :evil:

The end result: I had to have the Mojo 15's dismounted and put onto the new skis. I won't know how these ride until next weekend. I am afraid that the shortness of these skis will limit my ability to use them for powder/all mountain. Oh yes, I ride the whole mountain on mogul skis.
eteled

Re: WTF is with the new indemnified list?

Postby Jeffy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:59 am

Its BS to sell new equipment.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby eteled » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:19 am

What really gets me is that the 997's and 977's were both on the 08-09 list. The 09-10 list came out on the last day in September. I missed the deadline by 1.5 months...

Jeffy, you go this weekend? I was up at Meadows on Saturday. Nice snow for this time of year. Some baby moguls were popping up by mid-day. I got me one or two face shots early and two, "Nice line, dude!" from the peanut gallery riding the chair 8). Too bad this is what to expect in an El Nino. I bet the NW will be starving for fresh stuff come January.
eteled

Postby Jeffy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:52 pm

I skied Saturday at Timberline and it was sweet (I went Fusion Pass this year). Indeed great snow for this time of year. Hopefully it continues into the season.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby CRoss » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:17 pm

You would be surprised at how bindings go bad. My dads Look bindings that were 5-6 years old only skied 5-10 days a season could not be adjusted properly. Sure I could set the din to a 7 but when tested it was no where near what a 7 should be. I have seen bindings just a year old be off when tested. They were still with in the range to be acceptable for use but still off. I would set them at a 8 to get the release specs of a 7.5. Depending on the mechanics and the materials there is a very good chance that a unused binding at 10 years old could not be properly adjusted, or reliably hold that adjustment.
Are those your skis?.....both of them?......Cool!
CRoss

Postby Blanton » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:46 pm

This is what a case of beer at a small shop is good for.
Blanton

Postby mogulsensei » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Salomon allows older bindings to be mounted at the shops discretion. There is a form to be signed in the tech manual.
Too bad the shop didn't know.
mogulsensei

Postby B-Stead » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:56 am

You can't get your old bindings put on your boards, but ski areas build 30 ft tall kickers for you to enjoy with approved spankin' new equipment.

Lawyers allow funny things.

B-Stead
B-Stead

Postby Jeffy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:56 pm

BeastEd wrote:You can't get your old bindings put on your boards, but ski areas build 30 ft tall kickers for you to enjoy with approved spankin' new equipment.

Lawyers allow funny things.

B-Stead

They allow what will bring suits and make them money.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby spetrecky » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:34 pm

even though Solomon bindings have been the same basic design since like 1989, Markers have been almost the same for 20 years, and I would be willing to bet the springs inside new bindings are made with recycled materials and are lower quality than a binding made 15 years ago.
spetrecky

Postby B-Stead » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:17 pm

spetrecky wrote:even though Solomon bindings have been the same basic design since like 1989, Markers have been almost the same for 20 years, and I would be willing to bet the springs inside new bindings are made with recycled materials and are lower quality than a binding made 15 years ago.

I blew my knee because Marker's didn't have the vertical toe release. I have since used Solomon and haven't had a problem. Of course, I haven't actually crashed in 15 years, but still ... lol.
B-Stead

Return to Open Forum