knee surgery

Discuss anything ski related here!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

knee surgery

Postby coloradomogulskier » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:09 pm

So some of you know last week I have knee surgery done. I had a large part of my lateral miniscus removed and a cyst drained that was from the tear.

I had my surgery done at Steadman-Hawkins clinic here in Colorado. As some of you know this clinic is the premier orthepedic center in the world.

My doctor read me the riot act about our love and the consequence of skiing moguls. So after the surgery my doc showed me the photos of my knee. There has been a ton of discussion on these forums about does skiing bumps cause knees damage and do certain techniques break the knee down faster than others. I am lucky, I learned how to ski bump properly and after 20 years my technique has vindicated my style. I have 0 medial damage and no wear and tear except for the lateral tear which happened when another skier collided into me a few years back.

However, once damage is done the condition cannot be reversed. i ski quietly and carve the backsides of the bumps and when I am in the absorbtion phase of a turn my body position and knee position is allready directed in the proper direction. Thus, proper knee alignment and a natural motion occurs through the rest of the turn. If a turn is not complete before you reach the next mogul I can guarantee many of the aspiring moguls skiers that visit this page are going to start to have knee pain after a few years. Especially, if turns are forced or sudden direction changes during the absorbtion phase.

So next year, i am sure there will be many posts in the technique section which some people are going to give advice on some aspect of mogul skiing. As some of you know, I just clarify what is right and wrong, i don't give advice about an individual. i am not qualified.
However, after my 2nd surgery, i can claim that some techniques that people claim to be good for proper bump skiing will only lead to chronic knee pain.

So, everyone please carve your turns!!!! And keep your legs really strong. I walked out of surgery and I will be bumpin the coaches line the winter with you. I won't ski the hard pack and big pit stuff anymore. But if its soft, i hope some of your are around.

Fuckin knees.
coloradomogulskier

Re: knee surgery

Postby thedisemboweler » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:51 pm

coloradomogulskier wrote:So some of you know last week I have knee surgery done. I had a large part of my lateral miniscus removed and a cyst drained that was from the tear.

I had my surgery done at Steadman-Hawkins clinic here in Colorado. As some of you know this clinic is the premier orthepedic center in the world.

My doctor read me the riot act about our love and the consequence of skiing moguls. So after the surgery my doc showed me the photos of my knee. There has been a ton of discussion on these forums about does skiing bumps cause knees damage and do certain techniques break the knee down faster than others. I am lucky, I learned how to ski bump properly and after 20 years my technique has vindicated my style. I have 0 medial damage and no wear and tear except for the lateral tear which happened when another skier collided into me a few years back.

However, once damage is done the condition cannot be reversed. i ski quietly and carve the backsides of the bumps and when I am in the absorbtion phase of a turn my body position and knee position is allready directed in the proper direction. Thus, proper knee alignment and a natural motion occurs through the rest of the turn. If a turn is not complete before you reach the next mogul I can guarantee many of the aspiring moguls skiers that visit this page are going to start to have knee pain after a few years. Especially, if turns are forced or sudden direction changes during the absorbtion phase.

So next year, i am sure there will be many posts in the technique section which some people are going to give advice on some aspect of mogul skiing. As some of you know, I just clarify what is right and wrong, i don't give advice about an individual. i am not qualified.
However, after my 2nd surgery, i can claim that some techniques that people claim to be good for proper bump skiing will only lead to chronic knee pain.

So, everyone please carve your turns!!!! And keep your legs really strong. I walked out of surgery and I will be bumpin the coaches line the winter with you. I won't ski the hard pack and big pit stuff anymore. But if its soft, i hope some of your are around.

Fuckin knees.

have you been training in a gym for the last 20 years like u been skiing?
thedisemboweler

Re: knee surgery

Postby B-Stead » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:39 am

Hi CMS,

I'm really sorry to hear you went under the knife. I hope you enjoy a speedy recovery. I will gladly join you this winter and have two trips planned. I am pushing for a third in late March or early April.

Good luck in getting that knee back together again - soon!
B-Stead
B-Stead

Return to General Skiing Discussion