Going to buy new skis... What do you all think?

Discuss anything ski related here!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Going to buy new skis... What do you all think?

Postby eteled » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:18 am

Hi guys,

I'm not a mogul specific skier. In fact my local resort rarely has a large mogul field and they are never quality. I am an old school skier to the core (i.e. I ride a narrow, straight ski in all conditions). I'm 5'10" and 155 lbs. I've been riding on a set of slightly older Head Mad-Trix Moguls (181cm) and have really enjoyed them. They might be a little long, but I never really noticed. The ski I buy will be used 95% of the time next season.

Given that and all it entails which of these two boards would you buy?

1- K2 Mamba in 173cm (92/66/82)

2- Head Supermogul in 181cm (89/60/80)

I'm pretty sure that the Mad-Trix Moguls and the Supermoguls are the same basic ski, but a different top sheet. It does feel like the Mad-Trix are delaminating as they've progressively become more vibration prone and less consistent fore to aft. I've used them for 45 or so really demanding days.

Thanks much!
eteled

Re: Going to buy new skis... What do you all think?

Postby PomfretPlunge » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:37 am

FWIW I skied K2 Mamba 173s 80+ days last year and they broke on the last day of the season. I'm 6'1" 195 lbs. I put the tips into a bump to absorb it and the left Mamba cracked right across at the front binding.

I went and talked to the Aspen East ski shop which works a lot with Killington Mountain School. They had a full selection of bump skis including K2s, Dynastar Twisters, etc. They said that the Mamba is basically great for teenagers, but for adult weight & muscle they recommend the Dynastar Twister which is a beefier ski. I got the Twisters and have skied 'em 10 days on off-season trips. They are indeed beefy and take some getting used to after the light K2s. Now starting to get the hang of 'em and am happy. Don't think these are gonna crack any time soon.
PomfretPlunge

Postby Jeffy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:42 am

Heck yes. The Dynastar Twister is the best mogul ski I have ever skied. It is awesome in the bumps and pretty darn good all around the mountain. I skied the K2 Cabrawler/Mamba for 2 years and it was a good ski (I did break a set) but the Twisters blow them away.

Aspen East seems to be sold out of the 182s but the 175 should be a great size for you:

http://shop.aspeneast.com/browse.cfm/4,3051.html
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby mondeo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:07 pm

PomfretPlunge wrote:FWIW I skied K2 Mamba 173s 80+ days last year and they broke on the last day of the season. I'm 6'1" 195 lbs. I put the tips into a bump to absorb it and the left Mamba cracked right across at the front binding.

I went and talked to the Aspen East ski shop which works a lot with Killington Mountain School. They had a full selection of bump skis including K2s, Dynastar Twisters, etc. They said that the Mamba is basically great for teenagers, but for adult weight & muscle they recommend the Dynastar Twister which is a beefier ski. I got the Twisters and have skied 'em 10 days on off-season trips. They are indeed beefy and take some getting used to after the light K2s. Now starting to get the hang of 'em and am happy. Don't think these are gonna crack any time soon.

I broke a Cabrawler same way, night before a bump comp. I think I've shared my story of the emergency run to Aspen East and back to CT for the first Sundown comp of the year. But at 155, I'd think you'd do fine with the Mambas.

The Twister is a much softer ski than either the K2 or the Head, which means it's more forgiving if you get into the back seat but also harder to get out of the backseat. K2s when I caught myself I could basically pop myself right back forward, with the Twisters it's a 3-4 bump process of pulling yourself back up. Also, it makes shoving the tips into the front of a bump a gentler and more effective way to slow yourself down.

Other difference is sidecut. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the Twisters seem slower side to side than the K2s, and I'm thinking the additional girth at the tip and tail may be part of it; bindings are also different, so that may be a piece of the puzzle.

Overall, my next ski would might be a Volkl, which should be similar to the Heads. I like the Twisters, but sorta feel the soft flex is a crutch that hopefully I won't need by the time comes to replace them.
mondeo

Postby Akisan2 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Yeah, our resorts have NO moguls :lol:
I have K2 my whole entire career, back from killerbees, , super mambas, winter heats,(yup before Johnny Mo wore em) mambas, and finally Lava lamp. I have not had any issue with them, infact I love the way it skis. Mamba is awsome because it is a little softer compared to other mogul skis and it fits my ski style much better.
Funny thing is I broke 3 Dynasters, the assults. But I skied 195's :lol: and my tail snapped after a hard landing.

If you can afford it, I suggest buying a all round fatty skis for the winter and have a dedicated bump ski for bump days, which we have virtually none here in oregon.
Akisan2

Postby B-Stead » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:46 pm

The Twister is a no brainer if you need a high-performance slalom/mogul ski.

If you slide all of your turns and just deflect down the mountain, it really doesn't matter which ski you have.

My opinion.
B-Stead
B-Stead

Postby eteled » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:26 pm

I ended up buying 2008 Head Mojo Moguls in 171cm for $199 off levelninesports. It's the same as the Supermogul, but with the latest discontinued top sheet graphic. I couldn't pass on the price. I haven't skied on something this short since I was 14. I'm going to mount some older salomon light weight 997's I think.
eteled

Postby patmc81 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:57 pm

I have the 08 heads in 171 I love them but they are my first bump skis so I cant compare to any other skis. They ski great on bumps and down the flats to
patmc81

Postby AlpineZone » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:42 am

I'm also a Cabrawler (Mamba) to Twister convert. I like the Twisters a lot more. Softer and more forgiving and better out of the bumps. I'm 170 lbs. and the 175 cm is perfect for me. I probably won't bother pursuing a different mogul ski as long as the Twisters are available. Also, the older Legend 8000s are awesome in the bumps too if you want more of a "do everything" type ski. I sometimes prefer my Legends over the Twisters in the bumps.
Greg
AlpineZone.com - Northeast Skiing
AlpineZone

Postby iskifasterthanyou » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:27 pm

ID One. True competition mogul ski. They come in SE (straight edge) or CE (cracked edge). SE's would be stiffer and more durable. There are a few pairs still available in the US from Alpine Base & Edge in Boulder CO. Elan also has a new pair of mogul skis available called the Bloodline. Alpine Base & Edge carries both the ID One and Elan.

http://www.alpinebaseandedge.com/
Thanks, Johnnie C
iskifasterthanyou

Postby wlathchan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:10 pm

I have already tried the Head Supermogul before and this is quite cheaper than the other one. This is suitably fitted for the beginners. You can try it by yourself so you can see the result. But on the year 2011, one of the predicted best skis according to some reviews is the Race and Groomer Cruiser skis.
Last edited by wlathchan on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlathchan

Postby SkiDork » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 am

you making money from head?
SkiDork

Postby Jeffy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:27 am

Hey Dork,

Let's keep this clean.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby SkiDork » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:51 pm

Jeffy wrote:Hey Dork,

Let's keep this clean.

Hey Now! :lol:
SkiDork

Postby powbmps » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:33 pm

I like the Twister, but this is a great deal on the 181 Head:

http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-Moj ... i-Blackred
powbmps

Next

Return to General Skiing Discussion