Most “precious” quotes in a youtube mogul instructional Vid.

Discuss anything ski related here!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Most “precious” quotes in a youtube mogul instructional Vid.

Postby skinnyskis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:23 pm

A Contest with Rules? Well that doesn’t sound like too much fun, this is a freestyle site after all, but I’d like to think should there be any competing videos, they should be short, like maybe less than 5 min. Being that freestyle is a judged sport (number and quality should be the criteria for any scores given) I’m counting about 11 of those "precious" quotes in this one, but you be the judge (BTW hoots and hollers from chairlift are the foundation of what this sport was built upon and are the most coveted of all feedback).

I have written commentary for this one (unlike PSIA I am willing to leave a mogul related paper trail).

You know, one of the things I like to think of when I’m skiing the bumps, not so much the technical side of skiing, a little bit more the tactical side of skiing. (can you see where this is going? – good thing there is nothing “technical” about mogul skiing)
So I think the tactical elements of bump skiing, well there’s speed for sure, you want to be able to control that, then there’s turn shape, and then there’s line, those are the three tactics I think of. (well.... none of those three are tactics unto themselves, but I’m sure you’ll explain)
So I want to get a good handle on those three tactics otherwise things can get a little bit hectic here in the bumps. (yeah, things are looking a bit that way)
You know a lot of times the terrain can toss you around and the terrain sort of dictates where you end up, but if you can manage line speed and turn shape you’re all good. (alright, manage those three and you won’t get tossed around as much – got it – can’t wait for the demonstration)
So if I can manage my line, well that’s gonna help me control my speed and to control both of those I need to think of my turn shape itself. (so by thinking specifically of one thing it will help me manage and control the others for success in the bumps – you must be thinking of something that would make Plato blush – I can’t wait to hear it)
So basically, what I mean by turn shape is how round is your turn, that’s what’s gonna help dictate your speed it’s also gonna help you choose your line. (did you say “how round is your turn” I'm not sure I heard correctly, you over all the cheering instructors – they’re getting to be so loud now, I’m not sure they’ll be able to hear another word you say)
I’ll take the opportunity on the flats before I get into the bumps to set my turn shape my speed and my line and I’m just going to carry that all the way into the bumps, as if they are not even here. (so set turn shape, speed and line on the flats and pretend the bumps are not even there – sounds a bit delusional don’t you think? – hey can you tell your instructor friends to quiet it down a bit?)
So to keep that round turn shape going, that gives me that control that I’m looking for, helps me manage my speed and helps me manage my line. (so think “round turn shape” and your all good – those were your words weren’t they)
You know if you don’t have that line in mind, what cha gonna end up doing is skiing all over the run, doing what we call shopping for the bumps. When you go shopping for bumps, the speed picks up and you end up out of control, so set your speed, set your line, set your turn shape before you get into the run. (“shopping for bumps”, that’s priceless, I’ll bet the folks at mogulskiing.net could use that to describe skiers that don’t ski moguls fall-line)
So once I set that speed and that turn shape, that I’m comfortable with, I can use that all the way down the run and I’m skiing this run as if there isn’t even any bumps right there. (no bumps you say – I hope they aren’t making you feel uncomfortable)
You know there kind of like the elephant in the room, hey it’s pretty hard to avoid them, but if you go shopping around for them that’s when things get out of control, they get a little bit fast. (elephant in the room - is that expression anything like the emperor has no clothes – by the way would you tell your instructor friends to quiet it down a bit, since you mentioned “round turns” I think they’re planning to party all through the night)
So set your speed set your turn shape set your line before you get into the bumps............
(So after listening to the entire video, I almost feel like I could finish your last sentence for you, so let me give it a try – ...........THEN PRETEND THE MOGULS ARE’T EVEN THERE – how’d I do?)
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Re: Most “precious” quotes in a youtube mogul instructional

Postby Jeffy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:31 pm

I think we have found our expert frequent shopper!
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby pez » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:55 am

This dude is CSIA, but it looks like classic PSIA crap. It's basically forcing the PSIA/CSIA turn into the bumps.

More evidence that these guys simply don't know how to ski bumps. They promote this technique because they don't know how to do it any other way.
pez

Postby bendtheski » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 pm

The basic premise that these guys operate under is inherently flawed; the idea that you can "buy" a mogul turn through PSIA instruction. (in an hour lesson)
You can no more buy a mogul turn than you can a friend, but a friend can show you the way to a mogul turn for free.

If I am at all competent at skiing moguls, I give full credit to all my homies back at K-mart, and it never cost me a dime.

One day after about 5 years at Killington, and roughly 30 years of skiing, Dave Frendel and Mike Cubic (former Pro-Tourers) told me I was "ripping".
Hard to put a price tag on that.

Trouble is, even at K-mart the mogul scene isn't what it once was, and many other mountains have no bump culture at all. This pretty much kills my "make friends/total immersion" technique, in which case I recommend repeated viewings of "No Sleep Till K-town" vol. 1-7, Shred like Lettuce, and buying some of Old School's old mogul pants so you'll at least look the part. :mrgreen:
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby PomfretPlunge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 pm

bendtheski wrote:in which case I recommend repeated viewings of "No Sleep Till K-town" vol. 1-7, Shred like Lettuce :mrgreen:

Oh yeah
PomfretPlunge

Postby skinnyskis » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Well another year and another video (this time however with a bit of a twist). Gotta give Mr. Foster credit here for keeping an open mind and progressing, from one of the most “precious” instructional mogul videos on YouTube last year, to this video that contains some basic concepts that could actually be helpful to someone starting to go after a more technical line in the bumps. Actually just the public acknowledgement of the existence of the zipperline by a level IV CSIA instructor has got to be counted as a small w for mogul skiers in my book.

Just for the modern (post Jean-Luc Brassard, Jonny Moseley) record, I’m sure Alex Bilodeau (you know, the current Olympic champion and the guy 3 seconds into this most recent of videos) may have once or twice made mention of the zipperline, and wouldn’t hesitate go after that line regardless of whether the bumps were scrapey or not - just sayin.
skinnyskis

Postby bendtheski » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:20 pm

I think the green gloves really pop with the blue jacket and green pants. :mrgreen:
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby skinnyskis » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Hey, how about some entries from the PSIA ranks, I recall your "Bump Whisperer" video find was pretty sweet.
bendtheski wrote:

Are you guys listening to the moguls? :lol:

Good eye on the gloves, would a green lid add or take from the effect?
skinnyskis

Postby bendtheski » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:05 pm

skinnyskis wrote:Hey, how about some entries from the PSIA ranks, I recall your "Bump Whisperer" video find was pretty sweet.
bendtheski wrote:

Are you guys listening to the moguls? :lol:

Good eye on the gloves, would a green lid add or take from the effect?

IDK, but the orange boots with the lime green suit=fashion disaster!
I gotta get me a wingman to make those swooshy motions with their hands while I shred my line! :lol:
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby sunshine 50 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Are you freaked kidding me ! : :shock:
And this is one of those guys that the resorts have to teach bumps to our kids. we have them here in Canada also.
Round turns ???? A couple before or after a bump run.
Mogul shopping ?? Grab a line and go for it. Bump gets in the way either air or blast it.
Speed control ? Maybe a little But usually going as fast as you can.
Maybe I'm just old school.
sunshine 50

Postby bendtheski » Sun May 04, 2014 5:19 am

^This is nothing compared to the ongoing douche-baggery that takes place on Epicski.com, especially in the instruction/coaching section. Skiing direct is not in the PSIA/CSIA vocabulary. Apparently it's bad form to ski bumps any differently than you would a flat groomer. Oh yeah; and it's good form to air to the next bump when your turns fail you. Ski to snow contact is also frowned upon apparently, as is a quiet upper body.

Basically, just forget everything you've learned or admired about competent mogul skiing, and embrace skiing like an intermediate.
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby skyline » Mon May 05, 2014 2:32 am

Here's a new concept...feet on the end of your poles to help you step down the moguls??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0lImIkYGLs
And this guy is the director of skiing at a ski resort?
It's not that you can't ski moguls... it's that you can't ski and moguls prove it...
skyline

Postby cmccarthy » Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

That guy is justifying his pay check with elementary ski instructor jibberish. Nothing more. Training wheels on skis. I doubt if he has the energy, core strength to actually ski moguls properly.
cmccarthy

Postby cmccarthy » Thu May 08, 2014 11:40 am

Nelson Carmichael's instruction vids are respected and fabled. These instructor types should do some research into some mogul skiing vids. With some proper knowledge from reputable mogul skiers they might ski moguls properly!
cmccarthy

Postby skyline » Tue May 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Picabo Street on mogul skiing. OMG!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucg-Cfbqof4
It's not that you can't ski moguls... it's that you can't ski and moguls prove it...
skyline

Next

Return to General Skiing Discussion