Best All Terrain Ski for Moguls

Discuss anything ski related here!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Best All Terrain Ski for Moguls

Postby chrissstanford » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 am

Dear Fellow Mogul Skiers,

I was hoping to get recommendations or consensus on the best all terrain skis available for moguls. I love my Hart F17s but I'd also like something a bit wider (~80mm underfoot) for the chutes and trees after the bigger dumps in Colorado and Utah. It seems like the Bandit B1, Legend 8000 and other flat mount skis that have decent versatility without too much compromise in zipperline performance get harder and harder to find each season. Unfortunately, mine are all long broken.

Any suggestions (I'm 6'2", 200 lb)?

Thanks in advance!
chrissstanford

Re: Best All Terrain Ski for Moguls

Postby SpaceRacer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:35 pm

I was after the same thing as you. I skipped the Harts and I settled on a pair of Rossi Experience 88s in 178. I am 6'1" and 185. Awesome all over the mountain and super fast turning. Might be a little stiff for the bumps but its hard to have it all. I'm a bump skier but these skis are so damn fun and forgiving that I take them everywhere. Try a pair for yourself.
SpaceRacer

Re: Best All Terrain Ski for Moguls

Postby bendtheski » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:57 am

If you have a chance, try the Salomon Remix, probably in a 186cm for your height and weight. They're billed as a park ski I think, but I've found they do everything amazingly well. Just enough tip and tail rocker, so the tails sink a little, which allows the tip to float in deeper conditions, and still really quick edge to edge for a 91mm waist ski. The mount lines are dead-center, and -1, -2cm, probably due to their park billing, but I had them mounted -3, and they feel just about perfect. If you find a demo, you can probably mess around with the fore/aft and find just the right spot. Maybe not for everyone, but I just can't say enough good things about them.

One thing that's kind of funny though, is Salomon can't seem to make up their mind about what to call them, or who to sell them to. Three years ago they were called the Twenty-Twelve. Last year the Rocker2 92, and this year the Remix. All the same ski. Sidewall construction, which is kind of a departure for Salomon, but might be the reason they don't feel quite as flimsy as some other Salomon's I've skied.

Some clips from last week that hopefully demonstrate the skis versatility and quickness, but keep in mind, I'm a 51 year old hack.

http://vimeo.com/84647987
http://vimeo.com/84185300
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Return to General Skiing Discussion