New to DC area, Need help!

Discuss anything ski related here!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

New to DC area, Need help!

Postby woneteled » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:54 am

So, I was in Oregon but never skied with Jeffy. But I done been skiing for 22 years.

Like the title says, I've moved to the DC area (Wheaton area). Never been here before, what are my ski resort options? I see that there are several resorts that are "relatively" close. I'm looking to buy a season pass and driving up at least a day each weekend during the season (day trippin).

Word.
woneteled

Re: New to DC area, Need help!

Postby B-Stead » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:39 am

I think for some good skiing, you got to fly brotha.
B-Stead

Postby woneteled » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Yeah, I figure that to get on some real snow and vert. I'm going to have to fly. But I'm a government employee, so I get that option once a year (if I'm lucky).

I need something local and less expensive.
woneteled

Postby PomfretPlunge » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Howdy. There is pretty decent skiing in the DC area at Liberty, Whitetail, and Roundtop. They all have strong snowmaking and night skiing. Season usually gets underway about Dec 10-15 and lasts until mid/late March. Liberty is about 90 min from DC, Whitetail a little further. Roundtop about 2:10 but its season lasts a little longer cause it faces north.

You can get a seasons pass for about $425-450 if you buy before Halloween. The pass covers all 3 places.

Bump trails at Liberty are usually Upper & Lower Eastwind. Upper is natural and lower is seeded. Bump trail at Whitetail is Exhibition. It is suuuuper when there is lots of snow but suxxx in years with little snow.

We have a fun mogul posse with some learners, some great adults like CJ68, and occasional former competitors/coaches. We get together, share technique, tips & drills & just in general hang out mellowly.

PM me if you wanna get together for coffee or something & learn more.

Peace
Plunge
PomfretPlunge

Postby B-Stead » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Plunge - your description makes me wanna check it out. Maybe the next time I visit my bro in DC, I'll bring the boards. Man would it feel weird to round NYC with skis in the car.
B-Stead

Postby PomfretPlunge » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:04 am

Yo, c'mon down 8)
PomfretPlunge

Postby woneteled » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks Plunge, thats the type of info I'm looking for.

How are the roads around here?

Coming from Oregon with lots of snow and no salt on the roads.

I have studded snow tires... do I need them (are they even legal to use)?
I've always used a ski rack, but should I get a pod to protect my boards from salt?

Peace
woneteled

Postby PomfretPlunge » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:31 am

The roads around DC are decent, since mostly there is no snow :) :)

We're talkin 90% manmade snowgun snow, on the slopes only. Just a dusting everywhere else. Last year's total natural was about 4". And yet, a decent season, specially after Jan 1. (Dec sucked)

Except of course for 2 years ago, where we got 60" which was a 100-year record. There were 3 storms in a row with 1-2 feet each. Yowza! On those days, only skiers were out on the roads.

I don't even own a set of snow tires.

They do salt the roads. I just throw my Twisters or Volkls in the back of the Hyundai and rollit.

The best-kept secret around here is that if you get a seasons pass, there is a back dirt road up to the steep side of Liberty Mountain. You can park at the side of the road about 50 yards from the chairlift and just walk right on. It's like being back in Vermont in the old days. Luvv it. Meet to learn how.

Think Snow
Plunge
PomfretPlunge

Postby woneteled » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Sounds sweet Plunge, check your PM.

Peace
woneteled

Postby Velodog2 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:20 am

I live 20 min from whitetail but go there only maybe once a year if that tells u anything. Crowds on wknds are ridiculous. Nights are cold, dark and icy.

I know a number of pple in DC who own condos at snowshoe in wv. It is by far the best skiing in the mid Atlantic. It is a wknd trip, not a day trip, but worth it. Real estate is cheap there right now. I usually get there about 4 wknds a year. Unfortunately the resort hates moguls. Sometimes a trail will bump up pretty nicely, but it will be flattened by the next day. There is always the tree line tho!
Mike
Velodog2

Return to General Skiing Discussion