What does it take to start a ski apparel company???

Discuss anything ski related here!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

What does it take to start a ski apparel company???

Postby ski-till-i-die » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:44 am

Hey guys, my name is Jim. My friend Ryan and I started a small ski apparel company called “Ski Till I Die” which is something we have always dreamed of, and now are trying to make our reality. Check out our website www.skitillidie.com

In order to help our company grow we launched a “Kickstarter” campaign, which for those of you who don’t know is a way to raise money for a project that you’re truly passionate about, hence our company :)

Please check out our video http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2026809859/the-ski-till-i-die-project-launch, We want our company to grow by skiers, for skiers, not become a corporate company that doesn’t care about its core, the love of skiing. We didn’t name the company “Ski Till I Die” for nothing, we truly believe that is the way we will live our lives! If you can’t contribute it’s cool, if anything give me your feedback on our t-shirt designs. I’d love to hear from you guys, any suggestions on designs, want to be sponsored? Have an idea that you want to see a ski company do? Let me know! PM me or respond to this thread.. PS will give you some cool stuff :)

Check out our site and give me some feedback on the designs too :)
ski-till-i-die

Re: What does it take to start a ski apparel company???

Postby spetrecky » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:26 am

umm..why do you think that for skiers by skiers is original?

you need to start with products? what is missing in the market? and can you fill that need and at what price? apparel companies die because they have low margins and very high costs. inventory is expensive and so is distribution. websites don't drive enough traffic for this type of thing and who is your market anyway. if you do freeski gear are you gonna be better than burton's ak line or more functional than the new quicksilver gear? not possible without the volume they have. they are about 15 mogul skiers left in the US so mogul gear is out. there is really no venue to introduce new brands to the market without the ski expos and trade shows that used to exist. you need to focus on a product see if it sells then move from there.

so you are left with...a tough choice...maybe finding another route in the ski industry is a better idea. i had thought about doing at home custom footbeds in San Fran, making house calls to get people set up before they go to tahoe for the weekend. or even a ski rental delivery service or mobile tuning set up.

hate to be a downer but i have thought about ski biz to do and at the end of the day there are too many very big companies that have most things covered and to be honest i love most of the products i use. most of the gear now is warm and crazy technical with perfect spots for gadgets and magnets for buttons, spandex sleeves inside the arm around the glove, and for the most part you can get stuff for mad cheap at the season's end (back to the low margins) it is better to give it away than hold the inventory, ask any ski shop.
spetrecky

Postby Jeffy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Did you do any market research to tell you what the current market needs/wants are?

Also if skiers who have 'duct tape on their gloves and pants' are who you are and are your market I think you are going to have a problem, because they obviously don't by new gear very often even when it rips. So you won't be selling much to those people. Nor do they seem to want to be associated with a particular brand.

Are you guys out/done already? There were no designs of anything on your website.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby B-Stead » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:26 pm

What about naming it "Ski Till Death" and then just go by STD for short ? All the young punks will want that on their gear and it is def not corporate.
B-Stead

Postby Juvenile » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:54 am

Like any business venture, success will take careful planning and sound business savvy. I like that you are trying to do this in a grassroots manner by reaching out to real skiers like on these forums. I think that is a cool idea. Then it is largely a matter of making products that people want and getting it in stores. I like a lot of your T-shirt designs though. Are you making all kinds of equipment like ski jackets, pants, boots and all that?
Juvenile

Postby thedisemboweler » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 pm

a lot of money!! more than you think u would need!!
Attachments
!1billy.jpg
!1billy.jpg (36.82 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
thedisemboweler

Return to General Skiing Discussion