Most “precious” quotes in a youtube mogul instructional Vid.

Discuss anything ski related here!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Re: Most “precious” quotes in a youtube mogul instructional

Postby cmccarthy » Mon May 26, 2014 9:03 am

Picabo……er Sara Palin- esque explanations haha…. brutal! I thought she was messing around at first with her mogul skiing, maybe (before) "this is how I used to ski moguls" but there was no after!!! she actually just flops around kinda…..
cmccarthy

Postby Jeffy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:33 pm

cmccarthy wrote:Picabo……er Sara Palin- esque explanations haha…. brutal! I thought she was messing around at first with her mogul skiing, maybe (before) "this is how I used to ski moguls" but there was no after!!! she actually just flops around kinda…..

Yeah, not too impressive. I think my wife skis bumps better than Picabo.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby highnoone » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Picabo skied them fine seeing that is not her thing. See not much has changed. Unless you are zipper liner pushing out the tails of the ski. There is more to skiing moguls then flying down a zipper line at full speed on low angle runs. Straighter turns are not better more angulation skis to the side is better and just as fast.
highnoone

Postby Jeffy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:26 pm

highnoone wrote:Picabo skied them fine seeing that is not her thing. See not much has changed. Unless you are zipper liner pushing out the tails of the ski. There is more to skiing moguls then flying down a zipper line at full speed on low angle runs. Straighter turns are not better more angulation skis to the side is better and just as fast.

Whatever you say Joey. She is getting bucked into the air, skidding her skis sideways, arms flailing and off balance almost every turn. Ugly from such an accomplished skier
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby skyline » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Most of the skiers who join skiing forums are excited about skiing and seeking kindred spirits with whom they wish to share experiences . For me its about learning and gathering information about styles, techniques, mountains skied, and skiers who ski them. Skiers in general are fun active healthy bunch who love to interact and play in the mountains.
Most of us have never competed professionally, yet are competitive. And yes most of us no matter what our skill levels or age, we have healthy egos with a drive to improve. Most of us also think we are better than we are...I'm probably at the top of that list. Learning new skiing skills can be frustrating and if
we're lucky we'll have someone show/tell us something that not only improves our skiing but ups the excitement level. At times that one good "aha" run will keep me coming back for weeks just to feel it again.

So why am I saying most of what you already ready know.

Seems some people who join are insincere about their intent. They are not here to learn, listen nor offer advice. They are not truthful about who they are nor sincere about anything they post. They attempt to play the rest of us for fools when advice is offered sincerely. They have their own agenda...
There are a ton of accomplished skiers on this forum with great information and who bend over backwards to help anyone who asks. Unfortunately some of the most skilled and knowledgeable don't offer advice and feedback anymore because they've been burned a few times by these insincere, and ill meaning people. Its too bad.
It's not that you can't ski moguls... it's that you can't ski and moguls prove it...
skyline

Postby bendtheski » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:00 pm

highnoone wrote:Picabo skied them fine seeing that is not her thing. See not much has changed. Unless you are zipper liner pushing out the tails of the ski. There is more to skiing moguls then flying down a zipper line at full speed on low angle runs. Straighter turns are not better more angulation skis to the side is better and just as fast.

Got any comp results to back that up?
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby CobbleHead » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:13 pm

bendtheski wrote:^This is nothing compared to the ongoing douche-baggery that takes place on Epicski.com, especially in the instruction/coaching section. Skiing direct is not in the PSIA/CSIA vocabulary. Apparently it's bad form to ski bumps any differently than you would a flat groomer. Oh yeah; and it's good form to air to the next bump when your turns fail you. Ski to snow contact is also frowned upon apparently, as is a quiet upper body.

Basically, just forget everything you've learned or admired about competent mogul skiing, and embrace skiing like an intermediate.

They have a thread there now about how absorption should be done away with as a term. Since very few ski instructors can do absorption in bumps, it in a way makes sense that they would attack the concept rather better their own skiing. I think what this underscores is that regular ski school instruction is not just a waste of money, particularly for bump skiing, but actually can be actively harmful to developing as a skier.

Videos from respected bump coaches can be good, summer camps better.
CobbleHead

Postby Blake » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:14 am

bendtheski:
The basic premise that these guys operate under is inherently flawed; the idea that you can "buy" a mogul turn through PSIA instruction. (in an hour lesson)

...and that's not their only premise that is flawed.

bendtheski:
This is nothing compared to the ongoing douche-baggery that takes place on Epicski.com, especially in the instruction/coaching section. Skiing direct is not in the PSIA/CSIA vocabulary. Apparently it's bad form to ski bumps any differently than you would a flat groomer.

LOL Love it : )

bendtheski:
Basically, just forget everything you've learned or admired about competent mogul skiing, and embrace skiing like an intermediate.

Yep.

skyline:
Picabo Street on mogul skiing. OMG! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucg-Cfbqof4

I thought she was giving an example of what NOT to do. Holy cow. That was really bad for an olympian.

skyline:
Seems some people who join are insincere about their intent. They are not here to learn, listen nor offer advice. They are not truthful about who they are nor sincere about anything they post. They attempt to play the rest of us for fools when advice is offered sincerely. They have their own agenda...
There are a ton of accomplished skiers on this forum with great information and who bend over backwards to help anyone who asks. Unfortunately some of the most skilled and knowledgeable don't offer advice and feedback anymore because they've been burned a few times by these insincere, and ill meaning people. Its too bad.

Yep.

Cobblehead:
They have a thread there now about how absorption should be done away with as a term. Since very few ski instructors can do absorption in bumps, it in a way makes sense that they would attack the concept rather better their own skiing. I think what this underscores is that regular ski school instruction is not just a waste of money, particularly for bump skiing, but actually can be actively harmful to developing as a skier.

Their problems are not just in the moguls.

I attempted to make a stand against bad information with 2 commentaries on my youtube channel. I'm sure they haven't made much of a difference in the scene as a whole. The reason I made them is because I would watch learning skiers hear ridiculous things usually said by egomaniacal skiers/instructors (of which there are lots) and then these learning skiers would believe their ridiculous nonsense because they didn't know any better. It is fair to think that learners often DON'T know any better. How COULD they when they are new to the SPORT? These egomaniacal instructors who are often just as confused themselves do a disservice to the entire sport just by opening their mouths. Unfortunately to a large extent they are even becoming the face of skiing on youtube. They are like a virus that causes disfigurement to the body as it spreads, and that body is our sport. They think they have the knowledge to teach and the ability to be an example, then they even argue against world cup style skiers of all varieties and STILL convince naïve learners that they are right and best.

Many of you have already seen these... but for anyone learners passing by, here are two commentaries to show what I and others here are talking about:
https://youtu.be/U9XY76eg0DA
https://youtu.be/ZsfVv5m60Vs
Blake

Postby skinnyskis » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:12 pm

CobbleHead wrote:Tips on bump skiing from Epic are sort of like getting sex advice from nuns.

^so true
CobbleHead wrote:They have a thread there now about how absorption should be done away with as a term

Are you and Blake referring to this debacle? http://www.epicski.com/t/39753/dan-dipiros-mogul-book - Looks to me like selling A&E on Epic is sort of like like selling birth control to nuns.

I've often thought the concepts of economy of movement (moving the torso/CM straight down the fall line) and advanced techniques to promote better vertical separation (A&E to you and me) would be an easier sell to that crowd (they love taking that separation shite over there, so naturally more would be better, right? (Blake, nice demo BTW)). 1034 posts on half pipe, physics, pseudo physics and the tread on lockdown, who would have thought Dan Dipiro's Mogul Book would be so controversial.
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Previous

Return to General Skiing Discussion