The Way The Sport Was Born - Bumps Documentary Segment

Post your photos and videos of moguls or mogul skiing here. If you post a video or photo of you skiing moguls, you'll hopefully get some feedback on your style. Remember: no matter how good you are, you can always improve!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

The Way The Sport Was Born - Bumps Documentary Segment

Postby ZacHoffman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Hey guys!

You may have seen me post on here a few times about my film "Bumps: A Mogul Skiing Documentary" (http://www.bumpsdocumentary.com)

I just released one of the segments from the film online for free that I thought you guys would be interested in. It displays the sport of mogul skiing in the early 90s and shows some of the change that we've seen since then.

You can watch the segment here: https://vimeo.com/135319590

You can get the full film at http://www.bumpsdocumentary.com/store - all proceeds being donated to The High Fives Foundation

Thanks!
-Zac
ZacHoffman

Re: The Way The Sport Was Born - Bumps Documentary Segment

Postby ben_bumping » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Thanks for posting Zac.
ben_bumping

Postby Henri » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Nicely done, Zac. Great footage and testimony. Inspirational. And dynamic. It makes you wonder how much faster and more acrobatic is humanly possible. The training must be arduous. It was well worth the ten bucks and I would recommend it to anyone who has the slightest interest in moguls.

The beauty of this type of skiing is obvious to me and those who frequent MSN, but seems lost on the general public, who are not exposed to it anymore, with the bumps having been mostly groomed away. Which makes me wonder: how do we keep getting young people interested in mogul skiing? Your movie was about young people, and they seemed very happy, and not like beleaguered denizens of an arcane and waning sport. Where do they come from? Do you expect there will continue to be interest among upcoming generations?
Henri

Postby ZacHoffman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks for your response Henri, and thanks for purchasing the film! I am very glad you enjoyed it.

Your point about the younger generation is very valid. In fact, it played a big factor in my decision to make this film. Being from Ontario, Canada, I've slowly watched the rise of park/pipe skiing, and in turn, the decline of mogul skiing. Not so often any more are we seeing kids moving from ski lessons to moguls, but ski lessons to the park. I'm a big fan of the park/pipe scene as well, but I wish the public could see moguls the way you and I do.

It seems that these days the bulk of mogul skiers in Canada come from Quebec, and in the States there are a lot of mogul skiers coming from the east coast (Vermont, Ellicotville) Utah, Colorado. The interest is definitely still there. Families who truly understand skiing are still getting their kids into moguls to help them develop a well rounded ski technique.

Being on the NorAm tour shows me that there is still a ton of talent on the rise. Every year the competition gets stiffer and there are more young kids gunning to make finals.

Interest in the sport is as I see it right now is decent, but I see extreme potential for decline if nothing is done. This is why I wanted to make this film. I figured that if could teach the public what made everyone in the community fall in love with the moguls, maybe more people would give it a chance.
ZacHoffman

Return to Photos and Videos