Forum newbie looking for a freestyle program near DC

Post your photos and videos of moguls or mogul skiing here. If you post a video or photo of you skiing moguls, you'll hopefully get some feedback on your style. Remember: no matter how good you are, you can always improve!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Forum newbie looking for a freestyle program near DC

Postby bumpdad » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:00 pm

I'm looking for some east coast advice / opinions. We live in the Washington DC area and my 7 yr old daughter wants to be on a mogul / freestyle team, Last several yrs she has been averaging about 20 days a season and we are just back from the MT Hood summer mogul camp where she really progressed. Most of the hills in our area feature racing teams and I'm struggling to find a freestyle team for her to join. I know a racing background will help her fundamentals in skiing but if she can get in a freestyle program now that would be ideal. We are willing to drive every weekend, just not sure where to go within 4-5 hrs of DC. Any suggestions for a good program? Thanks
bumpdad

Re: Forum newbie looking for a freestyle program near DC

Postby sunshine 50 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:32 am

At her age I wouldn't panic. If you can't find a freestyle team just put her on a race team and have her ski bumps on her off days. Then hit all the summer camps you can. At least on a race team she will develop all the skills to ski everything.
sunshine 50

Postby KarenB » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:21 pm

The ussa.org club lookup is locked down to members. If your daughter races Nastar, the USSA membership is only $10 and comes with many discounts.

Here are the PA clubs:

8-1-2015 8-14-23 PM.jpg
8-1-2015 8-14-23 PM.jpg (93.27 KiB) Viewed 492 times

And one for Virginia:

8-1-2015 8-19-30 PM.jpg
8-1-2015 8-19-30 PM.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 492 times
KarenB

Postby Blanton » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:23 pm

Seven Springs offers a USSA B mogul level support through PA Freestyle. Great place to get your feet wet. pafreestyle.org

A bit out of your 4-5 hour range is Holiday Valley. I would highly recommend their Christmas Camp that takes place roughly between Christmas and New Year's. The camp is open to non team members and offers very high level coaching from former and current Canadian/ US Ski Team members. It may sound off the map but it's the best coaching outside of Winter Park and Killington. Regardless of early season conditions they will deliver moguls, the skills, and the confidence for a productive season.
Blanton

Postby bumpdad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks so much for the great ideas. Much appreciated
bumpdad

Return to Photos and Videos