Comments Requested on My Technique

Post your photos and videos of moguls or mogul skiing here. If you post a video or photo of you skiing moguls, you'll hopefully get some feedback on your style. Remember: no matter how good you are, you can always improve!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Comments Requested on My Technique

Postby Henri » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:06 am

Esteemed Bumpers of MSN, I've posted a video on YouTube of my best effort at mogul skiing, and hope that some of you will comment on my errors and ways to reduce them. Perhaps some will recommend I take up bowling :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VafrIE ... e=youtu.be
Henri

Re: Comments Requested on My Technique

Postby BushMogulMaster » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:49 am

Henri - nice skiing! No need to take up bowling unless you want to :lol:

Two thoughts:

1) You're hunching over a little bit. Try to stand taller, and remember that you always want to keep the stacked position where you could draw a straight line from the balls of your feet, through your knees, through your hips, to your shoulders. It may help to think of leading with your pelvis, and driving forward.

2) Your hands/arms are too busy. Drive your hands forward a little harder, but try to keep your pole plant to just a tiny tap on the DOWNHILL side of the mogul. This will also help keep your shoulders in the fall line a little better, as the motion of your arms tends to pull your shoulders side-to-side a bit.

But again, nice skiing. Keep it up!
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby skinnyskis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:32 am

coloradomogulskier wrote: There on tons of proven methods that help hands, this one is interesting because it is demonstrated on pure left-right slush moguls. I will name a few of the proven ones (I don't advocate any one over another).

1) lunch tray (hold your pole together flat palms up). If your poles swivel a lot side to side, you have to adjust ect. ect.
2) Beach ball press. Blow up a beach ball press in from the sides and go ski some bumps> Teaches you not yo roll your shoulders forward (pinch shoulder blades)
3) Poles up method. hold your pole with the baskets pointing to the sky. Ski some bumps, take some video and see if they are all over the place.
4) Counter punch, (which is the most similar to the double pole plant). Counter punch with the reach and wait for the mogul.

IMHO BMM has nailed it. Getting your shoulders (and subsequently hands) sorted is really going to help your mogulskiing. I'd go right to lunch tray as it will help to square your shoulders to the fall line and if you do it with pinched shoulder blades it will reduce hunching (also keep your chin up, but not forwards). Your skiing already looks quite good, refining your neutral body position (Fearing Video) will really help.
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Postby Henri » Sat May 02, 2015 9:49 am

Thank you BMM and Skinnyskis for your kind advice. I wonder to what extent my arm-waving would be limited by just skiing more direct? However, you get going pretty fast that way. I will try to have better posture (I like the idea of squeezing the shoulder blades) and attempt those hand-control exercises, as well as watching the Fearing video. As Patrick Deneen says in his video, "Your Hands," if you're waving your arms around, it may be that you have issues elsewhere with your skiing. That's probably also the case, but I hope I don't need a complete overhaul. Hopefully there'll be a new me at the next Bumpapalooza.
Henri

Postby BushMogulMaster » Sat May 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Henri wrote: As Patrick Deneen says in his video, "Your Hands," if you're waving your arms around, it may be that you have issues elsewhere with your skiing.

It's a two-way street. It would also be totally accurate to say that if you have issues elsewhere with your skiing, you better check your hands. Keeping your hands quiet and driving forward with them will help many aspects of your skiing, not the least of which is posture.
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby coloradomogulskier » Mon May 04, 2015 1:39 pm

If you engage the edges a lot more you will be carving. There is a ton of pivot that is causing you to use your hands more. Once you can get on edge quickly for left to right this will naturally come together. Flat quick carving is where to start.

Look at your video closely and see how many times you are on the bases of the ski instead of the edge. You will be able to roll over the mogul instead of around it and the downhill side of the bump will prove to be your friend. A few posts back shows Janne skiing slush bumps, watch it over and over, it should help you see where the ski should track. I love it and the snow conditions look similar to your video. Notice janne's turns are round even though he is skiing direct.
coloradomogulskier

Postby Blanton » Sun May 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Nice skiing, most people of similar ability really struggle with ski/ snow contact and speed control. I would consider shortening your poles a few inches (they look adjustable). In addition to that I would visualize never letting the baskets come as far back as your binding toe pieces. A lot of what I'm seeing is skiing way past long pole pole plants and then trying to play catch up last minute.

All in all good foundation, try and find someone to ski with that is going to push you to ski a bit faster.
Blanton

Postby Yoranium238 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:25 am

Nice skiing Henri.

Definitely agree with what's presented here.

Rutland Mike and Frank (Old School) gave me some great advice that helped me maintain a stacked position. First, keep the torso tall. In this way, you can see further in front of you. It gives you the feeling of seeing bumps earlier or slowing down what's coming. If you're hunched over or looking down, you're seeing things too late in the game. Next, you should feel forward shin pressure in your boots. I found that to be great feedback in letting me know that i was stacked. And, push those hips out as you extend on the downside and prepare for the next bump. Should help with ski to snow contact.

I tend to ski deliberately too. I need someone to push me as well.
-- Chris from OH
Yoranium238

Postby Henri » Thu May 14, 2015 3:19 pm

Thank you CMS, Blanton and Yoranium for your thoughtful comments :idea: As I watch Janne rolling over the bumps so admirably, I see he has a more direct line and his skis pivot less, while mine pivot a great deal as I attempt to maintain ski/snow contact, resulting in going around the bump. It seems he can do that partly because of a more angular and authoritative edge set. He is also, as CMS points out, using the back side of the bump to start his edge set, although it seems its greatest effect is when the turn culminates on the front side of the bump. His timing is perfect in that he both nails the bump, kicking up a rooster tail, but absorbs it too, ensuring he remains stacked and ready for the next extension. He also has more amplitude in his absorption, which must help with snow contact and control when skiing more direct. I struggle to absorb without tipping into the back seat and compensate with bending the torso forward. I would love to find a wave to practice the timing and position. Anybody know how you make one? It's a challenge to stand up tall and get the hips forward on the downhill side--it requires courage because your instinct says you will accelerate, yet it's clear that the opposite is true, as it sets you up for an effective absorption that controls your forward momentum. Again, a wave would be great for that. Keeping the pole planted too long is a perennial problem with me and it's helpful to watch the video and see where the basket remains in the snow past the binding toe. I think I need to try skiing without poles a bit to wean myself from the feeling of security I get by planting them. Pole length is perhaps too long, but as someone else posted, they can be too short and cause hunching. I can easily experiment with adjustable poles and will do so. I'm 6'2" and usually use 45-46". The Fearing video is helpful and well thought out. I guess his "neutral position" is applicable to all skiing and sets you up for good separation and a quiet upper body. Makes it look easy, but hard to achieve. Luckily, trying to get there is fun.
Henri

Postby Flowstate » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Hey there dude. Nice skiing. Looking good.
Few things that helped my skiing. Video. Well no. No one ever wants to film.
Shorten up your poles. Give it a slight downward angle of the forearms. Also spend money on good swing weight poles, even bumper poles.
Flick your wrist only, forward anticipate the next bump, as you side slip into the bump, the pole plant wrist should bend forward and the basket releases as you crest that bump. You can' t keep your hands and arms mellow if your poles are to long, and you don't control your wrists. Then keep your arms mellow. So you straight lines two or three. You need to scrap speed. Start a side slip early. Dump speed using terrain changes and snow changes. Use what is around you. Be a smart skier. Look out ahead. Plan, play plan, play repeat.
Fat skis. No worries. But don't follow the path of the trough. Be your self. Play laugh and explore because it is you in those goggles. Try going early, late, high, low, straight, air, tops, look at surfaces, texture, shadows, troughs, important. ...high and low spots. I like to ski in the average of the low point and the high point.
Ok let's make that a point. Ski in the average. Bumps are a patterned surface of low and high points. Look for them.youll see a lot of high and low. Sometime you can get the light just right. It's sun and shadow. So, anyway I have found. Looking for the average of the two, for each series of bumps is key. Go low, you will work tons more. Go high, air!. Let's say you are looking to avoid a nasty few troughs, well find a nice big one in a hurry, air it. Need to scrap some speed, side slip up a few fronts and clean off the tops. Use your up and downs to be and average finder.
Last one. This is probably the bigger one. Stand on your feet like you are standing still. Lean left, lean right, front, back, what ever, if you fall over you have gone to far. Agree? Then why would anyone ski differently. I consider the range of motion out over my feet, standing still, to be the range I have skiing bumps.you will only lose your balance when you pass the tiny little range of motion. It's actually very small. Skiers can use all kinds of forces, and stuff to reach a bunch of postions. Makes awesome pictures. In reality. Those postions make for more efforts in getting back on one's feet. The farther away the more work to bring them back.
You are skiing nicely. Also you will stand more upright when you find balance. Real balance. So until you find balance. Other activities that make you stand more up in the waist. Just might be taking your mind off balance. They say with proper form comes proper stance. You don't walk down the street hunched over. Correct. You would if you were, a little out of balance.
Enjoy friend.
Flowstate

Postby Henri » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks, Flowstate, for sharing these thoughts, in a poetic way. Lots to think about. I especially liked the point about balance and how it's easily lost if you lean too far in any direction. I was really following the trough that day, trying to keep my skis glued to the snow, and it looked pretty awful, but I was glad to be in control. Hopefully I can get a quicker and firmer edge set and deeper absorption and go more direct this year. Very interesting about eyeballing the average height of a series of bumps and aiming for that. It really does look like I need shorter, lighter poles. Why is it that we care so much about skiing moguls well? Don't know. Something about appearing to float over them--done well, it's like magic.
Henri

Postby Jeffy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Henri wrote:Thanks, Flowstate, for sharing these thoughts, in a poetic way. Lots to think about. I especially liked the point about balance and how it's easily lost if you lean too far in any direction. I was really following the trough that day, trying to keep my skis glued to the snow, and it looked pretty awful, but I was glad to be in control. Hopefully I can get a quicker and firmer edge set and deeper absorption and go more direct this year. Very interesting about eyeballing the average height of a series of bumps and aiming for that. It really does look like I need shorter, lighter poles. Why is it that we care so much about skiing moguls well? Don't know. Something about appearing to float over them--done well, it's like magic.

It is indeed a strange sort of thing that we like to do.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby coloradomogulskier » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Flowstate, have you ever considered writing for penthouse forums :O
coloradomogulskier

Return to Photos and Videos