Dream come true

Post your photos and videos of moguls or mogul skiing here. If you post a video or photo of you skiing moguls, you'll hopefully get some feedback on your style. Remember: no matter how good you are, you can always improve!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Dream come true

Postby Shockenau » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:23 am

I havn't had the chance to post this amazing experience I had skiing Deer Valley the day of the Mogul World Cup event but you should get a kick out of this.

We were able to ski the mogul course, Champion, before the event started; we did 5 runs. Talk about a real dream come true for me to have had this opportunity to ski such an awesome course and bumps in pristine condtion. Not only that but just to be on the course let alone ski it of the grand daddy of all mogul comps in the world was amazing. Couple thoughts about the course. It is steep and challenging. I believe it is the steepest mogul course on the World Cup. Also the top air landing is so ridiculous and steep that I can't believe half the field doesn't leave injured. It was a great day and a great event, very fun to watch the pros shred and mingle in the crowds after being eliminated.

Enjoy, and yes I had my SOS on baby the Bumpapalooza crew will remember this gem.

GOPR1932.jpg
Top of Champion hours before the Deer Valley World Cup event
GOPR1932.jpg (85.05 KiB) Viewed 619 times

G0011963.jpg
Middle section in the middle
G0011963.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 619 times

G0011965.jpg
Bottom of the middle section a few bumps away from the second air
G0011965.jpg (78.25 KiB) Viewed 619 times
See any good lines?
Shockenau

Re: Dream come true

Postby chrisar82 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:20 am

Awesome, how were you allowed to ski it? Did you know someone or . . . . ?

Also, how do those bumps stack up to the non perfect bumps we usually ski? Obviously they're steeper, but they're all perfect. Is it still more difficult?

Also, those photos are way small to appreciate. Just upload those photos to something like Google Photos and link to them in the thread. This site's 256kb limit for image uploads is just pathetic.

Thanks for sharing!
chrisar82

Postby Shockenau » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:36 pm

chrisar82 wrote:Awesome, how were you allowed to ski it? Did you know someone or . . . . ?

Also, how do those bumps stack up to the non perfect bumps we usually ski? Obviously they're steeper, but they're all perfect. Is it still more difficult?

Also, those photos are way small to appreciate. Just upload those photos to something like Google Photos and link to them in the thread. This site's 256kb limit for image uploads is just pathetic.

Thanks for sharing!

Yes I was skiing with a past Utah mogul competitor and instructor and right before lunch we ran into a friend of his that still coaches and he said "hey were going to ski the course right now before the race. Wanna go? And we decided not to take lunch. The bumps are definitely different. They are more elongated horizontally but I think as the competition moves on they narrow like were used to.
See any good lines?
Shockenau

Postby SD_skier » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:30 pm

I also went to the DV W/C and have been meaning to submit a competition report. I've been pretty busy lately, so it unfortunately hasn't happened yet. Rather than creating a new thread, I thought I'd piggy back this one. Attached is a pic from the men's final. The crowd was fantastic. Thousands of people there, making noise, cheering, supporting the athletes and having a great time. To anyone that has never been before, I highly recommend it. It is a four day freestyle event with concerts, fireworks, mogul comps (usually singles and duals) and freestyle aerials. All of which are free of charge to the public.

I arrived when Sho Endo was on course. I looked away for a moment and next thing I knew he was down just below the second jump. Ski patrol worked on him for about 20 minutes, which is scary in of itself that they attended to someone for so long on the hill. They got him in the sled and skied down the hill with him in tow. The Life Flight helicopter swooped in about that time, landed and took off shortly thereafter. I am assuming they flew Sho off the mountain, but can't say for certain as I didn't see where the patrollers went after they skied out of the competition area. I read in the paper the next day that he suffered a serious back injury and was in a local hospital. Hopefully he is OK, but I haven't been able to find any updates.

Overall "Champion" did its thing. It ate up a lot of competitors, as usual, even though the level of skiing was high. Cork 10's were the standard air off the bottom jump, which is new. I've seen them done in the past during comps at Deer Valley, but it seems like everyone must have added that trick to their bag in the past year. Kingsbury, who won, looked a notch better than everyone else. He made the judges' job easy, because he really did look smoother and better than everyone. The announcer gave some crazy stat about Kingsbury...he has podiumed something like 70% of his W/C starts. Just crazy good.

Also, to the question about skiing Champion at DV, I will throw my 2 cents in there as well. I've skied it a few times, but never when it is perfectly manicured right before a W/C comp.. I am envious of that to say the least. My take aways are that the course is very challenging but super fun at the same time. First, it is really steep for a bump run. For those of us that primarily ski recreational resort bump runs, as opposed to seeded courses, it is a bit weird. I've found that lower angle resort bump runs have the best lines, because as the run's steepness increases people alter their turns (i.e. traverse or slide more). I've often noticed as a run gets steeper, the bump lines usually get wonkier. So looking down the DV course, it is a bit shocking to see such a steep, perfect bump line.

Secondly, the bumps themselves are relatively wide apart. Meaning if you were standing at the top of the course and looked down the center of the line, the shoulders of the bumps on the right, don't have a lot of overlap with the shoulders of the bumps on the left. So if you take a very straight path down the line, there isn't a whole lot of bump to use to slow down. Not sure if this is a Champion thing or just inherent to seeded W/C courses in general, but needless to say the course skis very fast and is unforgiving. It is hard to recover from mistakes. Although, if you can keep it under control, it is incredibly fun to ski. It's hands down one of my favorite bump runs in world.
Attachments
DV-WC-Freestyle-2015.JPG
DV-WC-Freestyle-2015.JPG (45.25 KiB) Viewed 559 times
SD_skier

Postby KarenB » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:18 pm

What an experience! Thanks for sharing.

At the 2014 WC, I was able to stand at the top of the course and just look down. It was my first day skiing after ACL reconstruction and the view alone scared me.
KarenB

Return to Photos and Videos