Mogul Skiing Documentary!

Post your photos and videos of moguls or mogul skiing here. If you post a video or photo of you skiing moguls, you'll hopefully get some feedback on your style. Remember: no matter how good you are, you can always improve!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Mogul Skiing Documentary!

Postby ZacHoffman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:24 am

Thought you guys might be interested in checking out the teaser for my upcoming film, "Bumps: A Mogul Skiing Documentary" featuring many of the best mogul skiers in the world.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/75626621" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/75626621">'Bumps: A Mogul Skiing Documentary' Teaser</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/zachoffman">Zac Hoffman</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

You can take a loot at the website for more information: http://bumpsdocumentary.com/

I also have your social media bases covered, if you're into that.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bumpsdocumentary (a 'like' is always appreciated)
Instagram: http://instagram.com/bumpsdoc (@bumpsdoc)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/bumpsdoc (@bumpsdoc)

Let me know what you think! I'm really excited to continue working away at this!
ZacHoffman

Re: Mogul Skiing Documentary!

Postby ZacHoffman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:24 am

Well clearly my embed didn't work! You can watch the teaser on the website!

http://bumpsdocumentary.com/
ZacHoffman

Postby BushMogulMaster » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Looks awesome! I look forward to the film.

Are you going to include anything about amateur mogul skiing, or will it only be competition-centric? There is a great contingent of amateur mogul skiers who are probably every bit as much, if not more passionate about the sport than the pros. Some focus on that aspect of the sport might be of interest. In fact, competition mogul skiing wouldn't exist if it weren't for the hot-doggers who got it started. That hot-dog mentality lives on in the passionate amateur bump skiers. Just have a look at our videos from Bumpapalooza - http://www.maryjanemogultour.com/

Anyway, looks great. I'm glad to see a project of this magnitude centered on mogul skiing.
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby ZacHoffman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Glad you like the project!

As I am a competitive mogul skier myself, it's a little harder to find time to dive into the amateur mogul world. I did do some shooting on closing day at Holiday Valley this past season where tons of bump shredders were out and having a good time, and did a little interview with Radio Ron.

So, I hope to include a little bit of the amateur side in the film, but it will be primarily about the competition world.

If you have any other questions, let me know!
ZacHoffman

Postby spetrecky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Zac. Good effort but I am gonna be a bit critical from a old school perspective, no disrespect, it is just something that changed and took the sport in the direction that I think bored some of us.

Too much side angle camera work.... mogul skiing is best straight on shots. You need to see angulations, dynamic positions, balance, symmetry, calm relaxed upper body with soft hands. In my opinion best from the judges pov. Plus side angles don't show knee breaks..so the over use is not something I like.

Again, not on you, it has been how things have been shot since the x-games started doing this stuff, and is the way people shoot stuff nowadays. While it is great for short cuts, it is over used. And at this point getting kinda stale.

The courses lack diversity and styles are kinda dead. I want to see some dicing it up on backsides and a bit more flavor so we see who has the best turns and is balanced through out the run. There is alot of playing balance catch up in all mid sections on everyones runs now.

I get the skill level on the airs, it is sick, but boring. I think the airs being thrown don't necessarily compliment the turning and that the progression is not going in the direction of fun or imaginative but just trying to add an additional spin to a flip. Where are the grab and tweaks, and personality? Not there because speed is over valued.

Maybe a bit old school for you, but check out some video of Hiro Sakamoto, or Edgar or Brad Holmes..used to be so much character in the skiing and the courses helped play on that.

I know this seems a bit harsh, but I want to get excited to watch whats happening and be a fan of moguls since I still love to shred, but I find the comps barely watchable and rarely get excited by it.

You can be the sport's savior if you sing the tale of change, a little course and scoring redesign is in order.

The people on this board are the last few willing to still buy mogul gear, pay to ski moguls, and support those doing it but online content and especially the US ski team website are weak, this site excluded from that comment since this is a active exchange of mogul schlock.

The marketing of the freestyle team is weak. 7 year old girls talking in barbie chat rooms about how cute Ken is provide more online content than the US Ski team.

I am a former competitor and a coach and blah blah ..and there isn't even a weekly e-mail to help follow the athletes. For christs sakes I got over 100 e-mails from shit I never signed up for today, another 20 or so fantasy football updates, and even like 5 or 6 from Toys r us and they can't figure out who the audience is and get the word out a few times a season to help maintain an active fan base for mogul skiing. Weird considering the a former world champ mogul skier is the world's foremost spammer and I have never received a mogul related spam.

Bung....SAM
spetrecky

Postby ZacHoffman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks for the critique man! I definitely see where you're coming from. Mogul skiing back in the day for sure had a lot of flare and style, but I am a firm believer that that aspect of it isn't dead. The footage in this video is a very small portion of what I have, and I am definitely saving lots of more unique shots.

What I plan to show with this film is that even though the individuality, flare, style, whatever you want to call it, although hard to find, is still there in full force. People just don't understand it. It's not black and white. You have to look at the details. I think it's become something very natural. You're not just different because you decided to try a few bumps on the side, instead of going down the middle, but different by the way you contain yourself reacting to the same bumps that everyone else is hitting. You don't have a choice over your style. It's just an extension of yourself. No two skiers will look the same. You can't force yourself to be different, it just happens. Your natural instinct and reactions are what makes you your own skier. I love old school bumps. I do hope to be able to include some information about it in the film, but I truly believe that the sport is in a good place now.

As for shot variation, yeah I could definitely have used some more straight on shots. I do have lots. I intend to use them in the film for sure. I am just tired of seeing it. I know it shows certain aspects of the skiing better, but I've seen it over, and over, and over. I think that varying the angles opens the viewer up to different components of a turn, than the bottom angle. You may not be able to see knee angulation/breaks quite as well, but what becomes much more distinct is absoprtion, which in this style of mogul skiing is incredibly crucial. I think both are good, and there should for sure be some variation. Probably would have been a good idea to include a couple in the teaser, you're right.

So thanks again, I always appreciate a good critique and some feedback. I'll keep what you said in mind, I just hope that you, and others, will watch the film, and do it with an open mind.

-Zac
ZacHoffman

Postby Chris Moore » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Sam, I have your email. Careful what you wish for.
Chris Moore
Site Admin

Postby spetrecky » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:52 am

Cool Zac, I am glad you didn't take it the wrong way. I wish you the best this season and hope you post some action, with it being an Olympic year I am sure that the first few comps will show some progression as people start to work out their runs for Russia. That complex looks dope.

BTW ...I see reports that the Russians are basically saying they will be out right spying on every move of every competitor maybe even have shower and potty cams. I hope they stream that shiz.., but it may be the case that girls in winter sports are in winter sports because it was best they were covered up. Ouch....
spetrecky

Postby Jeffy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:55 pm

I think you have a potentially great film going Zac. Very awesome that you are doing this project and I will for sure watch the final product. I would love to hear what Stumpy (Greg Stump) or Mike Hattrup has to say about the state of mogul competition these days as the early Stump films got me started in mogul skiing. I have their emails if you want to try and contact them. I know that Joey Cordeau (old old schooler out of Sun Valley, Shane Cordeau's dad) thinks the modern mogul competitor is underskilled, doesn't ski moguls right and couldn't ski natural terrain moguls well. What a crock right? The guy is kray kray!
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby ZacHoffman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:18 am

It would be super cool to get interviews with those guys, but unfortunately I don't see it being very possible. I'm a competitor myself, so I am basically only getting ski shots and interviews at my training and competitions. I have very little budget, so travelling to meet those guys is a bit out of the question. I'm doing my best though to get interviews with at least a few people that were involved in the sport as it was becoming what it is today.

Glad you're stoked on the project!

Also, it's pretty interesting that Joey thinks that, seeing as Shane is a very successful competitor on the NorAm Tour.
ZacHoffman

Postby cmccarthy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:14 pm

The comments of front view, back view being used more often is correct. It is way more fulfulling to watch mogul skiing from those angles. Judges dont sit on the side of the course. I am looking forward to watching this movie!!!!! Any older comp clips going to added?
cmccarthy

Postby ZacHoffman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm hoping I can get a little bit of archive footage to include in the film. I don't want that to be the focus by any means, but for a short segment, I'd be glad to gather some footage.
ZacHoffman

Postby skinnyskis » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Zac, all great films tell a story, be true to yourself, solidify the story you wish to tell and execute your vision (I’m sure that in the future you will have many more films and stories to tell).
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Postby B-Stead » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:31 am

I must be living under a rock. Just seeing this now. Looks pretty cool. I would love to see these guys on the natural bumps just killing it. Audiences won't relate to courses because they haven't skied them. Nascar drivers are great on the road courses but you'd never know by watching them make 2 left turns all day.
B-Stead

Return to Photos and Videos