New store items + Major site overhaul

Rules, guidelines, announcements, news, etc.

New store items + Major site overhaul

Postby BushMogulMaster » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi all,

I just added a ton of new items to the mogulskiing.net online store. Have a look at www.cafepress.com/mogulskiing and let me know what you think. Feel free to offer any suggestions in terms of products and designs.

Also, I'm currently working on a semi-major overhaul to the mogulskiing.net website. Looking for suggestions and ideas on how I can improve the site overall. Current plan is to redo the links/navigation with a CSS vertical menu. Going to add pictoral demonstrations/explanations in the technique guide. Going to revamp the photo gallery, and improve upon it. Also going to redo the video gallery with embedded video.

Please please please... what are your thoughts/ideas/suggestions? I want to improve the site as much as possible, and I'd like to start working out some advertising and boosting monthly visits. Last season, with absolutely no advertisement, I was seeing a couple thousand unique visitors per month. I'd like to see that rising steadily throughout the 08/09 season. You guys are the core, the heart if you will. What you think/suggest will certainly help improve the site.

Thanks in advance,

~Patrick
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Re: New store items + Major site overhaul

Postby BushMogulMaster » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:40 pm

I've also decided that I'm going through the entire site and rewording so that I no longer refer to "WC style." I've decided that that makes it sound too much like there is only one set of methods/skills applied by ALL world cuppers in exactly the same manner. I will refer to the comprehensive techniques of the world cup, but it will no longer be WC style mogul skiing. Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby Jeffy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:01 pm

BMM,

The new store items look great, I may have to put a few things on my Christmas list.

Your improvement ideas sound good and I agree on removing the "WC Style" verbage - I have some other suggestions:

- Perhaps change the home page to something more entertaining/exciting. All that black text on a white background shouldn't be the first thing people see.

- Can you update the news section more often? Fun little news tidbits like Chuck Martin now selling ID One skis, etc. would be cool to see.

Best of luck with the overhaul!

-Jeff
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby BushMogulMaster » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:53 pm

Jeffy wrote:BMM,

The new store items look great, I may have to put a few things on my Christmas list.

Your improvement ideas sound good and I agree on removing the "WC Style" verbage - I have some other suggestions:

- Perhaps change the home page to something more entertaining/exciting. All that black text on a white background shouldn't be the first thing people see.

- Can you update the news section more often? Fun little news tidbits like Chuck Martin now selling ID One skis, etc. would be cool to see.

Best of luck with the overhaul!

-Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.

I'm thinking about putting an embedded video near the top of the homepage. How does that sound? I'm going to keep all of the text, but it will be down below. I want to keep it there, because it's excellent for Google pagerank. My keywords show up a million times in that little rant.

I definitely want to stay on top of the news section better this season. Good call.

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby BushMogulMaster » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:06 pm

Check out the new photo gallery script: http://www.mogulskiing.net/photo_gallery/

Overhaul almost complete. Should be online by Monday, 9/29.

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby Blanton » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:02 am

My boss says to leave the site be, as it distracts me enough... just kidding.

As already mentioned, what brings people back websites is frequent content updates.

Incorporate more video and pictures, they are a powerfull tool for learning... Playing the devil's advocate- there is just as much to learn from a video of poor skiing than there is of really good skiing. Perhaps maybe throw an edit together that has some instructional audio dubbed in. There are plenty of people on here who might be able to offer advice and or videos.
Blanton

Return to Official Business