May Mogul Camp

Plan any mogul-related trips, events, or meetups here. Bump skiing is always more fun with other bump skiers!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

May Mogul Camp

Postby rondo320 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:26 am

Anybody doing John Dowling's SSCV Spring Mogul Camp at A-Basin?
There's two 4 day sessions. One starting May 7th and the other starting May 12th.
I'm going to try to do the last two days of the first session and the first two days of the second session.
Just weekdays because A-Basin in May on weekends is a circus due to their participation in the Epic Pass.
rondo320

Re: May Mogul Camp

Postby ynot » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:01 am

Never know this camp. But from the website, it looks nice. John Dowling' has coached Canadian national team, which really says something. Canada is mogul skiing power house lately. But it's too far from me and don't have time to take a break. Have fun!
ynot

Postby rondo320 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:34 am

Signed up and paid up for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday of next week.
The SSCV website is a little confusing because its designed for signing up children not adults.
You have to put your information in and then put it in again as parent/guardian.
You can sign up for 1 day or up to 8 days at $60 a day plus a lift ticket if you don't have a pass.
I did this camp about 5 or 6 years ago and it was definitely worth it.
Anybody else interested?
rondo320

Postby rondo320 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:57 am

Finished my four days of camp yesterday. Had a great time.
My coaches were John Grigsby, Morgan Schild, Dylan Walczyk and John Dowling.
Each coach had a different perspective and emphasis but they all spotted my major problems and offered solutions.
My greatest flaw is posture. When the speed increases I lose any bend at the hip and either go upright and back which limits any lift and lag in the absorption phase or I start bending my back and spine causing my chin and chest to point down.
The camp did have one unintended consequence, a big dose of reality.
It showed me not only how much better I should be but also how much better I will never be.
Getting over that depressing reality will be harder than correcting my posture.
rondo320

Return to Trips, Events, Meetups