spring skiing at A-Basin

Plan any mogul-related trips, events, or meetups here. Bump skiing is always more fun with other bump skiers!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Re: spring skiing at A-Basin

Postby rondo320 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Ride-The-Rockies (bike tour) made a mess of getting to A-Basin this morning. Loveland Pass was closed and all the predicted open times conflicted.
It was a classic summer day but with a good breeze to make the warm temps bearable.
Lower Ramrod is no more and Upper Ramrod was good but is starting to show some dirt.
I guess half a bump run is better than none.
Forget about the upper bump course, it's showing more dirt than Ramrod.
Hopefully Ramrod will stay open through the weekend.
rondo320

Postby rondo320 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Got there early today so that I could leave early and beat the I-70 traffic.
Well that plan didn't work.
The bumps didn't start to soften till 10:15 because last night was one of the coldest in a long time.
Nothing like skiing frozen slush for your back! The groomed parts of the run were good from the start.
It was totally overcast by 10:30 and when I left at noon it was only 45 degrees.
More of an early-spring day than summer.
Had a little over an hour of decent bumping. But, it is June.
It didn't help to leave early, traffic was stop-and-go from Georgetown to Idaho Springs.
A lot of bare spots are starting to show between the bumps on Ramrod especially on the east side.
I wouldn't be surprised if today was the last day of bump season at the Basin.
rondo320

Postby rondo320 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Today was my last day of skiing for the season. 128 total.
A-Basin has announced that there won't be anymore extensions and that this Sunday the 22nd will be the last day.
For those of you thinking about this weekend, it should be better than any day in the first month of the season.
Runs open are pretty few and Ramrod is closed.
The only moguls are on either side of the wood fence on Powerline to the west of the Lenawee lift at the top.
But they are very limited, definitely don't expect much. Watch out for dirt and rocks.
For a Friday in June, it seemed like there were a lot of people.
I suspect they will be crowded this Saturday and Sunday.
The pond was surprisingly small for this time of year but there were still quite a few people who didn't make it across.
It looked about waist deep.
rondo320

Previous

Return to Trips, Events, Meetups