A-Basin spring skiing

Plan any mogul-related trips, events, or meetups here. Bump skiing is always more fun with other bump skiers!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

A-Basin spring skiing

Postby rondo320 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Anybody skiing A-Basin this week, April 16,17,18 or19?
Copper had one its best powder days today but it's closing.
Time to move to the Legend to finish out the season which will probably be short unless we get 5 or 6 more storms like today.
rondo320

Re: A-Basin spring skiing

Postby Cricket » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:48 pm

I havn't skied the basin for a long time. If the snow holds up I plan on doing it in May this year. Heading up for the last week at WP/MJ on Wednesday.
Cricket

Postby rondo320 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Today, Monday the 16th, it snowed lightly most of the day and it stayed cold. There was a lot of powder on Palli but no skiers because it was closed. Found some bumps on the east side of Falcon but they weren't much, a little powder on top of ice underneath. Ramrod had some bumps on skiers left side but not very much. These were just developing because Ramrod was obviously groomed recently. If your looking for bumps, A-Basin is not the place this spring. They could have at least let one run, Ramrod, develop bumps or just groom half of the run but it seems that's not the corporate plan. They must have had too many complaints last year that there was one run with bumps. Corporate Headquarters probably fired last year's area manager for allowing such a travesty. Imagine the audacity, one run with bumps. Never again!
rondo320

Postby rondo320 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Monday and Tuesday the bumps on Ramrod were decent (they've been developing since last week) but they mowed them down today, Wednesday the 25th, in order to get the run ready for the bump camp starting this weekend. The left side of Ramrod was roped off and they were trying to construct the course. I don't think there will be any good bumps outside the course until Friday assuming they don't groom up to the rope. It's disappointing that the only bumps worth skiing at the Basin disappear overnight. Who would think to allow one sliver of bumps for the general public to ski? Not the Basin. Ever since A-Basin went into a partnership with Vail Associates, the place has gone downhill, totally groomed downhill that is.
rondo320

Postby rondo320 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:34 pm

It's official. The season ends on Colorado skiing when A-Basin closes this Sunday, May 6. This is the second earliest closing and wraps up one lousy season. It doesn't matter anyway because there are no real bumps to ski. They've been grooming up to the rope for the mogul camp course on Ramrod. If you're thinking about coming up this weekend don't waste your time or gas unless you really enjoy carving railroad tracks in groomed slush.
rondo320

Postby bendtheski » Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Rondo,

Sorry to hear about the dismal conditions at the basin. Last spring was fun as hell, mostly because of the bumps they let set up and then left alone on Ramrod.

On a happier note; the knee is coming around nicely and it doesn't sound as though I missed much this year except maybe $3,250.00 towards my insurance deductible.

Here's hoping for better conditions next year! Drop me a line if you want to hook up at Loveland in the Fall. I've already got my Loveland pass for next year and am considering WP/Copper depending on how the knee feels.
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Return to Trips, Events, Meetups