Videographer Tom Dale

Plan any mogul-related trips, events, or meetups here. Bump skiing is always more fun with other bump skiers!

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Videographer Tom Dale

Postby Old School » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Sad to report that our friend and one of the videographers from last years Bumpapolooza will not be joining us this trip. Tom has a torn ACL and will be having surgery soon. I think that is a pretty weak reason not to film us but that is just me thinking. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Old School

Re: Videographer Tom Dale

Postby B-Stead » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:40 am

Oh No !!!! Visited the forum tonight and found 2 surgery posts.

What is going on ??????????

B-Stead
B-Stead

Postby bendtheski » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:11 am

B-Stead wrote:Oh No !!!! Visited the forum tonight and found 2 surgery posts.

What is going on ??????????

B-Stead

In my case, two months of low snowfall and a poor line choice.

Thanks for the post Frank, you guys will just have to make yourselves look good this year!
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby shreadley » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:03 pm

thant IS bad news! Get well soon brother Dale. Sounds like no-one is going to be able to view the shreaditation at WP this year.
shreadley

Postby bendtheski » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:40 am

Update:

Got out for my first day on skis since surgery on Jan. 4th. I would imagine that anyone else who's gone through ACL replacement knows how weird it can feel to ski again for the first time. Knee felt a little jello-ish and my confidence is definitely not what it was, but probably both are to be expected at this point. By 2nd or 3rd run I started feeling a little more normal, and called it good after run 8.

I think all the targeted PT can only take you so far, the last piece of the puzzle has to come from actual skiing. It will probably be a while before any moguled terrain presents itself, and that's just fine with me. I'm confining myself to blue cruisers for the next couple of weeks until I've had a chance to further strengthen my knee and confidence. Hopefully the next viddy I post will be a bit more exciting to watch, but again, any of you who've blown out a knee will probably appreciate how stoked I am about even these mellow turns.

Stupid Vimeo cropped the top and bottom of the pic, but got some nice unexpected results from the shadow-play. Seems I need to learn a little more about screen formats on the GoPro, and how they translate to vimeo/youtube... Anyway, enjoy!

The song is Comeback Kid by Sleigh Bells. I thought it was appropriate.

https://vimeo.com/52046451

PS. Anyone know how to embed videos from vimeo?
PPS. The skis are my new Moment Tahoes. 180cm, 96mm waist and I'm going to try and make them my every day driver, even in bumps. Then I'm gonna check back in here and start talking smack about twisters! Stay tuned.
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby B-Stead » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Congratulations. Obviously I've come back from many injuries and so I can certainly empathize as well as genuinely congratulate. Take it easy on the slopes and cross-train with some light trampoline bouncing, the bike, and elliptical. Sound like you are on your way to many great seasons to come !

btw - I somewhat disagree w/ this one: "I think all the targeted PT can only take you so far, the last piece of the puzzle has to come from actual skiing". I think you can ski very well with the right off-skis training. I did it last year, came back from injury and surgery very strong, right on my first day on snow.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

B-Stead
B-Stead

Postby pez » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:40 am

Guys,
Despite being an occasional poster, I definitely felt the need to post to this particular thread. This past summer (July 2012) I was at the Momentum Camps adult session. I tore my left quad tendon doing trampoline. I had gotten in three good days on the snow, and I had a funny landing on the trampoline during the afternoon jumping session. I flew back home (CA) and had surgery to repair the tear.

As I've found out since, this injury is nasty. I don't expect to get back into bumps until at least next SUMMER (1 year after the injury). Most people I've talked to have said this is much worse than an ACL tear/repair. BUT, I am expecting to get back to 100%, with LOTS of PT, etc. However, I'm probably done with jumping...
pez

Postby B-Stead » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Finally watched the whole video. Well done Tom !!!
B-Stead

Postby bendtheski » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:39 am

4-days back into it now, plus a day of mellow skinning on Jones Pass. Feeling steady progress and increased confidence.
Some small bumps developing on skiers right of Spillway at LL; I'm avoiding them at the moment. They're small, but firm and wall-y, and I'm not going to push it to be a hero on that junk!

Actually let my skis leave the ground a few times over some small rollers; expect to be throwing some small twisters over Richard's knoll within the next week or so.

B- I'm still doing workouts on non-ski days; recumbent, squats, hamstring curls and extensions, and some one legged stuff on the tramp. Knee/leg is feeling progressivley stronger, and less soreness, for less days after skiing. Knee still feels a little numb/tingly/itchy around the main incision scar, but maybe that's just because I haven't been wearing protection? (that's a joke, but actually I'm not wearing a brace either)

Pez- Bummer man. Hope you can at least have some fun skiing groomers and occasional pow. After missing most of last season it feels pretty great just to be on skis again! I had all kinds of people visiting during the holidays last year and it really sucked to be all gimped up while everyone else went out skiing/riding. I keep reminding myself about the need to perserve for the long-term, especially this early on in the season, although I did make it to 15 runs Monday.

Wonder if maybe there should be an injury forum on here? I'll bet there could be some good info exchanged on all kinds of gimpiness.
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby pez » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Tom, thanks for the sympathy. I agree an injury topic heading might be a good idea. It's a depressing topic, but it might be helpful to get some recovery and rehab tips, and to get some inspiration for getting back on track...

Meanwhile, it's been dumping in Tahoe - looking like an epic year. Figures...
pez

Postby bendtheski » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:38 am

Returning to snow seems to be the last piece of the puzzle for me. I'm still doing some strengthening exercises, but the early season groomers are probably doing more in the way of conditioning than anything I'm able to simulate in the gym. Tentatively skied some bumps on Sunday and nothing fell apart, so that helped my confidence and actually made things easier.

Skiing tentatively is a good way to get hurt again. OTOH, over-confidence might not be the best thing either. It's a balancing act for sure!

And now for something completely different...
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby rondo320 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Bendtheski,
Bumps on Sunday? Where?
rondo320

Postby bendtheski » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 pm

rondo: Lil 'uns on Spillway. They were gone on Monday, but the snow was pretty good. Prolly head to WP or Copper on Mon or Tues. You gonna be around?
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Postby rondo320 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:11 am

I'd settle for little bumps. The only thing I got was frostbite on the face because of the cold temperatures last week and the lack of moguls to slow me down and warm me up.
I'm at Copper Monday and Tuesday but it is totally boring.
There's a bump run on Rosie's that will be used for competition the 16th through the 22nd. But for the rest of us common folk there's nothing here but hope and dreams.
Look for the lime green jacket and gray pants on Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning mostly Ptarmigan.
rondo320

Postby bendtheski » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:38 am

Last edited by bendtheski on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Next

Return to Trips, Events, Meetups