What length poles?

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Re: Method to determine pole length

Postby BushMogulMaster » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:47 pm

bumpfreaq wrote:Ok, so we all know the traditional method for determining pole length, right? Grasp an upside down pole under the basket with the handle on the floor. Your forearm should be about parallel with the floor. So as a rule of thumb, what angle to the floor should they he to best facilitate WC style?

Typically, I'd just subtract 3-4" from your traditional alpine pole length rather than trying to get some exact angle to the floor.

Maybe Sensei has more to say on this?
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby mogulsensei » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:07 pm

You know what over the years I have just looked at so many kids with their poles too long I just kind of eyeball it. My poles come to my hip bones when I am standing in my skis flat on the snow, which reminds me I have to cut a new pair.
mogulsensei

Postby bumpfreaq » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:27 pm

mogulsensei wrote:My poles come to my hip bones when I am standing in my skis flat on the snow.

That makes sense to me. Mine are a bit longer than that and I've thinking they should be a bit shorter for a while now.
bumpfreaq

Postby yemntftb » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm

I assume that the traditional 90degree angle with the basket, handle on the floor isn't what you want for the bumps...I've been feeling like my poles are too long, but I make do...5'8'' maybe I should buy some aroun 40-41" long?
yemntftb

Postby mogulsensei » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:53 pm

I would go 42 and trim if needed.
mogulsensei

Postby yemntftb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:07 pm

oK, how do I tell what length i'm using now?
yemntftb

Postby yemntftb » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:59 pm

Just found out goodie poles are pretty adjustable for lenght...so I may not need to cut, but they are composite..could be tough to cut either way.
yemntftb

Postby Jeffy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:17 pm

No worries. I cut Goode poles all the time. Just use the finest tooth saw you can find. A coping saw works great. Love the Goodes. :)
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby mogulmuncher » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:53 pm

I'm 5'-7" and my regular poles are 50" long. I can ski a relaxed line in the bumps with these poles, but they are a bit long for what is considered "serious bump skiing" in this forum. If I'm going to spend a lot of my day in the bumps, I grab my wife's 44" poles.

I also have a pair of adjustable mountaineering poles that I use somtimes in coaching sessions -- it's helped me show a lot of people what a difference a shorter pole makes in the bumps (outside the bumps, they provide a good demo for a longer pole).
mogulmuncher

Postby carrielovesskiing » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:46 pm

With short poles, I'll be unstoppable!

It's snowing at Winter Park, and has been for two days. They opened the Jane today, but just Jane Trail and Lower Arrowhead. Boring, but it's a start!

How's everybody else looking?
carrielovesskiing

Postby bumpfreaq » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:21 pm

Cool Carrie :D Keep us posted. I'll be there in a month and a half, can't wait!!!
bumpfreaq

Re: What length poles?

Postby ToddB » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:14 am

Hmmm. Seems to be a huge swing in preference. I got a new of ZIPLINE pole from Chris and they are 40's. I went skiing just yesterday on closing day in Taos. I will say having shorter poles is a little different feel than your regular non-mogul poles. I should mention that I'm 6-0. In the bumps pole plants seem to be placed on the right length when I compress. However, on the flats, I was bent at the waist to meet surface to plant. Are my poles the right length? Specialized pole are very exspensive to keep throwing dart a dart board and missing. Please advise.

:roll:
Todd
ToddB

Postby Jeffy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:42 pm

ToddB wrote:Hmmm. Seems to be a huge swing in preference. I got a new of ZIPLINE pole from Chris and they are 40's. I went skiing just yesterday on closing day in Taos. I will say having shorter poles is a little different feel than your regular non-mogul poles. I should mention that I'm 6-0. In the bumps pole plants seem to be placed on the right length when I compress. However, on the flats, I was bent at the waist to meet surface to plant. Are my poles the right length? Specialized pole are very exspensive to keep throwing dart a dart board and missing. Please advise.

:roll:
Todd

43-44" would be more appropriate for 6'0". My wife is 5'3" and she is using 40".
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby Blanton » Sun May 10, 2015 11:09 pm

I tried to ski some longer poles this year and couldn't make it work for me.

I'm 5 11 and ski a 38. Spent about 10 days this season trying to make 44, 42, and 40s feel comfortable. Couldn't get there or stay forward.

Definitely a personal preference but you may want to try something on the other end of the spectrum.
Blanton

Postby Blake » Sat May 30, 2015 10:33 pm

I am about 6 feet and 3/4ths of an inch.

My poles, counting the part under the basket are 45 inches. Only counting to the basket it's about 42 1/4''. Counting only the part I use in the moguls, it's 39 inches.

I have my pole straps really loose and when I go in the moguls, I put my hands through the straps differently so I can grab with some of my hand below the handle, and just my index finger and thumb on the handle. It makes it so that it matters less where I pole plant on the mogul. When I'm out of the moguls, my hand's just on the handle normally.

With how I hold my poles in the moguls... measuring from the basket to the top of my hand is only 39 inches.
Blake

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Tips