Mogul School

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Mogul School

Postby Lance s » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:12 am

Well, I did a search on "School" and got a whole bunch of threads on "Old School". As old school as I am, that wasn't the school I was looking for. I skied pretty heavily for about 20 years, then took a 20 year hiatus, with only a few trips out west thrown in over that time. I skied bumps my whole life but never actually got "trained" in skiing them the proper way. I basically attacked the hill and pounded my way down the line. I am now 47 and I don't have the knees or the wind to be able to do that anymore. I am quite sure there is a superior way to ski the bumps.

All of that to say, I am interested in getting some serious training, maybe taking a week to go some place specifically for mogul training camp of sorts. What I need to know is where. I have skied vail, keystone, A-basin, Copper, breckenridge, etc, but I don't know if they have bump schools. Would it be better to get some one on one training from an expert or enroll in a bump school of sorts (if a good one exist). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lance
Lance s

Re: Mogul School

Postby mjskier » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:04 pm

http://www.mogullogic.com/

Fun time and you'll learn a lot.
mjskier

Postby Lance s » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:07 pm

Unfortunately, Mogul Logic won't be running camp this year. They will be up and running next year. Anyone else have ideas?

thanks,

Lance
Lance s

Postby ynot » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:24 pm

What do you mean by saying "Mogul Logic won't be running camp this year"?
Here is the message from their website:
Come and join us for a 2017 Mogul Logic
Mary Jane Adult Session.
Camp 1: 2/4/17 - 2/5/17
Camp 2: 3/18/17 - 3/19/17
Mogul Logic 2017 Information
ynot

Postby ynot » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Also, you can go to Whistler for Momentum mogul clinic. This is a great camp. Their mogul coaches are all top-notch, at least world cup winner.

Youth Sessions:
January 3-5
January 10-12
January 17-19
January 23, 25 – 27
All Ages – Presidents Weekend February 17-20
All Ages – March March 25-26
All Ages – April* April 1-2
April 8-9 (Start of WSSF)
April 14-17 (Easter and end of WSSF)

Here is the website:
http://www.momentumskicamps.com/program ... g-clinics/
ynot

Postby motodog621 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Mogul Logic cancelled this year's camps due to health reasons- I was signed up & Chuck refunded my payment.. was really looking forward to it- I'll try again next year!
motodog621

Postby BushMogulMaster » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:13 pm

We run bump clinics at Cooper outside of Leadville, CO. Would be glad to have you. Not nearly as intensive as the multi-day Mogul Logic camps, but gets the basics down, and you'll learn some really important drills. Details at http://skicooper.com/ski-ride-school/ad ... k-clinics/. 4th tab over. Clinics this season are 2/4, 2/25, and 3/11.
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby smoked » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Having been to two Mogul Logic camps with Chuck I can vouch for the Bump Skiing Institute at Cooper Mountain. Tony and Pat are excellent instructors, and everything they teach is consistent with Chuck and ML. They have a manmade mogul run that isn't too steep, and it's an excellent way to learn because it's not too daunting and intimidating. After doing drills with Tony and Pat in the first half of the day, we hit the fun run and let me tell you how exciting it was to make it down the run somewhat resembling a bump skier. Tony helped me in the biggest way by sharing how to keep the legs/thighs together - use your hip adductors as they are the strongest muscles and everything below will simply follow. To me it was a significant tip (I'm not that bright :) ), and it made all the difference in the world (until I abandoned it the next day and started pushing my downhill/outside leg out versus just standing over it thereby creating leg separation and basically killing any chance of being balanced. Of course I didn't realize why I was all jacked up until I got home and read on another forum about someone having the same problem. In addition to keeping legs together, I have to watch my weight and how I apply shin pressure. I think. :))

Anyway, these guys know their stuff and can rip it as well. Most importantly they're just really, super nice guys that just love bump skiing and love teaching. They're passionate and it shows. Do yourself a favor and go see them. I'll be a regular attendee from here on out, attending both ML and BSI at Cooper.

Tony/Pat, thanks a billion for the instruction on Saturday. You guys are truly great ambassadors of the sport! See you at the end of the month!!

Okay, a neat follow on... After a humbling Sunday at Mary Jane, I decided I needed to work drills on the flats on Monday. So on the first run I head down Sleeper and I see a youtube familiar person over in the bumps on the right side of Sleeper. I knew right away that the person I was looking at was the same guy I've seen in Bumpapalooza videos. And he had friends ripping with him! I had to introduce myself to these guys. So, Mike/Rut, Frank, Dave and Gary, if you're reading this, thanks for letting me tagalong and for the pointers and tips. You guys were very gracious to let a learning wannabe tag a long with you - well kinda tagalong. I couldn't go down the runs these guys were smoothly going down! :-)

What a great weekend for a guy trying to learn this difficult but addictive sport!

Scott from VA.
smoked

Postby Old School » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Scott, Frank Here. Nice to meet you. Keep up the effort and reach out for any help.
Old School

Return to Technique and Tips