Summer mogul camp options

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Summer mogul camp options

Postby mitch236 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:35 am

What are my best options for a summer mogul camp? I am thinking about the Mt Hood adult only camp at the end of summer and wondered if anyone has any experience with their camps.
mitch236

Re: Summer mogul camp options

Postby ben_bumping » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:54 am

I have a few opinions/comments on this, but I think it is important I give you a little background on me. I took a hiatus from skiing for about 15 years. I never skied competitively growing up and only skied about 10 or so days a year. When I was a kid I was in the trees and in the bumps because that was where the fun was. So, when I returned to skiing two years ago I immediately went back into the bumps. Once I started it was like a drug and I wanted to get better and obtain as much knowledge as possible. I found this site, read as much as could on this site and watched as many videos as I could (over and over again)! I have also met a lot of great skiers from this site in the last 2 years.

Now to your question: I went to Mt. Hood last year for a week; I did the first camp of the season and skied with Darren Owen. Darren is a great coach and will make you better for sure. This was the first coaching I have ever had and I thought Darren did a great job hitting on my strengths and weakness in such a short time. I stay in touch with Darren and talk to him a few times a month. My next suggestion is going to Bumpapalooza. This is the coolest and most helpful trip you can make. I know it isn’t until next March, but all of the guys that are on this site and are passionate about bumps are there. There are no egos and these guys will help you get better. Following 20 or so guys that rip can only make you better. Plus, you will be hard pressed to find a cooler bunch of guys anywhere at any mountain. So, my long winded response is definitely check out Mt. Hood and ski with Darren because he is a great teacher and the video you get is an invaluable tool. Plus you get to ski bumps in the summer which is cool and a great trip regardless. Then you can take that knowledge from camp, practice next season and go to Bumpapalooza!
ben_bumping

Postby mitch236 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:13 pm

Thanks for the reply! I would love to attend Bumpapalooza but never have in the past because I always felt I wasn't good enough to keep up! However, this year things started making sense in the bumps and with a little more practice and instruction, I feel I would not embarrass myself too much at next year's Bumpapalooza and so will most likely attend!!!

How was it skiing and staying with the "kids" at the mixed camp? That's why I was thinking the adult only camp because at 58, I don't learn as fast as kids do and don't really envision myself staying in a dorm with a bunch of kids!!!
mitch236

Postby ben_bumping » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:38 pm

I went the very first week to the camp so there were only about 7 of us. There were 4 of us skiing bumps and all of the bump skiers were adults. I am 33 and there were a few guys my age and an older gentleman about mid 50's. The lodging and food provided leaves a lot to be desired. I will say the food (dinner and breakfast) was prepped by kid counselors, so they try hard but it isn't the greatest in terms of options. I had my own room with 4 bunk beds and my own bathroom. These are not the greatest beds, small, single beds that are really the cheapest option for the camp. I was so tired from skiing hard that I passed right out each night, but if you are willing to spend a few (possibly a lot) of extra dollars I would suggest staying off site and just paying for the ski part through the camp. Not the finest in amenities but you will survive if you stay at the camp. It also may be a bit more organized later in the season and more adult friendly during the adult only week.
ben_bumping

Return to Technique and Tips