Tips for icy troughs and crusty tops

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Tips for icy troughs and crusty tops

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:17 pm

There was another similar thread for crusty troughs, but this is either a little different or a continuation.

Slushy moguls, powder moguls, packed powder zipper lines no problem. Icy moguls that have seen allot of traffic, ok, still fun, with strong extension down the backside. Boiler plate backsides with powder on top, I enjoy by taking speed across the ice and then using a very firm edge set in the powder on top of the mogul.

Now, take those icy bumps with mounds of powder on top, warm them up, and then deep freeze them to make icy troughs with crusty tops.

Just days before, I’m doing icy troughs with powder tops, so the muscle memory is still there to crank a turn on the crusty top, but the icy crud crossed my skis and shot them out from under me leaving me bruised and fearful after landing on the ice that’s hard like concrete.

So, how do you ski icy troughs (and backsides where edges barely grip) with crusty tops? Do you avoid the ice or avoid the crust? Also, I could see using elbow pads like a skater, but I end up with bruises on my hips. Does anyone use some sort of protection on their hip bone?
Dave

Re: Tips for icy troughs and crusty tops

Postby Jeffy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Icy troughs and crusty tops are drinks I have in the bar, not conditions I ski.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby spetrecky » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:52 pm

What Jeffy said.

There are no extra credit points in life for skiiing when it sucks. It is okay to go rip cruiser runs and/or work on turns on the flats rather than ski bumps that are garbage.
spetrecky

Postby BushMogulMaster » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:10 pm

I echo those sentiments. As someone in the industry, I've become very picky about when I actually want to go out. Why? Because I CAN ski every day, for free. So why ski when it sucks? Just my .02.

It's a whole different story if you planned a ski vacation months in advance, and when you arrive, the conditions suck. Then I agree with spetrecky... find some good cruisers and drill some short turns. It may be worth poking around for skiable bumps, but it's not worth killing yourself for it! That said, it's good to have the ability to navigate those conditions. The key is to remain aggressive. The minute you become defensive, you lose all hope of staying in control.
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby BushMogulMaster » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:11 pm

BTW, welcome to the board, Dave!
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby Four Sticks » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:39 pm

Dave wrote:Do you avoid the ice or avoid the crust?
My preference has been to avoid the icy troughs, especially on the front of the mogul. I also try to carve on the top and a bit on the back side of the mogul while I jump from top to top. I use the crust on top and scrape down the back of the mogul to slow me and keep in control. It isn’t pretty but it seems to help. Then I regret trying that slope and go elsewhere.
Four Sticks

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:41 pm

BushMogulMaster: Thanks for the welcome. I'm willing to avoid certain conditions, but I'm never quite sure if it's me or the conditions that's not right.

Electro: Do you use a light touch on the crust or do you try to load the ski? Is most of your speed control on the backside or in the crust?

I'm a recreational skier. At mogul competitions what do they do when the surface is that hard? I can't imagine jumping in that stuff. Do they cancel the competition, mow down the moguls and blow snow, or what?
Dave

Postby Four Sticks » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:54 pm

I use a light touch on the top crust and that is where I slow down the most for control. I edge on the back side to line up for the next mogul top. I jump and turn to avoid gaining too much speed in the icy trough as it is too difficult to twist on the hard surfaces when it is icy between the bumps.

I don’t believe mogul competitions would happen when the surface is that hard. I typically have seen them blow snow and groom on non-competition slopes but that means the bumps will take a while to grow back. It is also best to wait for the sun to be overhead to soften things up but you may have to miss the lunch break.
Four Sticks

Postby coloradomogulskier » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:50 pm

competition courses are open, and they are packed and ice especially in the east. I have skied them when you could see your reflection. Save your body and have a drink.
coloradomogulskier

Postby Dave » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:09 pm

So that means you can ski it in any condition? Have you seen more injuries when it's ice like that?
Dave

Postby coloradomogulskier » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Yes, but why? Hard Icy moguls hurt and hurt you. I saw more injuries back in the 80's and 90's due to giant holes forming after the bottom air. Lot's of knees went and a few backs.
Its the nature of the sport. be quick from edge to edge on ice if you can, a flat ski or turning by skidding in the rut = yard sale. i only ski bumps if they are super soft. The days of charging the "Meat Line" are over. So ski the flats on an icy day or better yet take it off.
coloradomogulskier

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Often in various sports I've seen where people think something is impossible until they see someone else do it. Climbing is like that. You might give up on a climb thinking it can't be done until you see someone else do it, and sure enough you can too after much work. So, I'm curious what are the real limitations with mogul skiing. Also, I'm not that into skiing on icy moguls, but I do think that if I could identify the mistakes I'm making it would improve my mogul skiing in good conditions. I would appreciate as much detail as you care to offer about how to ski them. There must be at least a few more things that are critical in icy, crusty moguls that you wouldn't worry about in other conditions. Thanks.
Dave

Postby Four Sticks » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:23 pm

I would also suggest to NOT de-tune your tips as much.
Four Sticks

Postby skinnyskis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:22 pm

Dave wrote: I end up with bruises on my hips. Does anyone use some sort of protection on their hip bone?

Padded (baseball/basketball) compression shorts under your ski pants may help although I haven't personally tried them. Denim cut offs would be the low-tech alternative.
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Postby Rufus » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Hands forward (both always and in line, where you can see 'em square down the hill), knees forward (hips will come up as well, but you don't have to think about that), tips down, eyes up. Get a good tune on. Keep driving it down the hill. Be strong. Stronger than the course. You will be fine. You may even learn to love it. Use the front of the ski. Practice in the steep flats.
Rufus

Next

Return to Technique and Tips