54 minutes of Aiko

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

54 minutes of Aiko

Postby skyline » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:07 pm

Just came across this. More technique tips and stuff...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1 ... l=85114404
It's not that you can't ski moguls... it's that you can't ski and moguls prove it...
skyline

Re: 54 minutes of Aiko

Postby SecretVest » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:58 pm

Sweet, such a precious instructional video for beginner like me!

I've been always wondering, why are Asians so good at filming instructional vids that target at beginner level bumpers (there's another great video by a Korean)? Frankly I bought the DVD of Chuck Martin's vids and watched over and over again, and also watched a load of "instructional" mogul vids of US(&Canadian) skiers (e.g., the Canadian mogul video), none of them helped me much. US/CAN pros in the vids just don't (want to) slow down for us beginners. Seems like they are targeting at competitive bumpers who are already proficient in bumps. They are too fast, they don't break down the techniques

BTW, in the past season I attended one day momentum camp plus two days of MHSSC mogul camp (a week with 3 days of rain), yet I didn't get as much help as I got from the Asian vids.

The only good beginner-level vids from the US I've watched so far, are two short clips from Jonny Moseley, demonstrating the importance of early weight shift to the general skiing audience at Squaw. But that's just not enough.

This season I watched Jonny's vids as well as the Korean vid, then got about 10 days on moguls (as much as I could), and now my only feeling is: Damn, I wasted all the 50-60 days on moguls in the past two seasons!!!

So speaking from a beginner who wasted two seasons and just got a peek at the correct learning path, there's definitely a huge gap of bump skiing instruction in the US market (targeting at general skiing population to help them get to become proficient bump skiier).

Yet we are wondering why bump skiing is dying...yet despising PSIA way of marketing their wrong technique...
SecretVest

Re: 54 minutes of Aiko

Postby shreadley » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:47 pm

You know, It's funny you mention that about Japanese bump skiers. I myself am Japanese. Competed in 'Rocky Mountain Freestyle' (a pooling for olympic contenders) I consider myself good but nowhere near the top of my game but The Japanese are picking up on bump skiing like we were here in the US back in the 70's. Man, anymore there are only a handfull of companies that produce bump skis. I was reading a blog on TGR the other week where someone was talking about bump skiing being the hardest venu of skiing anywhere on the mountain , which I agree. I equate it to motocross being the hardest venu of all motorcycle competition. Anyway, he was mercilessly shot down. I didn't have the balls to jump in and defend him either. (Shame on me)
I used to think that I'm really glad there aren't that many mogul skiers out there because it makes me more unique, but If our sport is going to perpetuate, we need to step up our game... Not sure what that means but surely every reader on this site knows exactly what I'm talking about.
shreadley

Return to Technique and Tips