Any way to practice at home?

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Any way to practice at home?

Postby mitch236 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi. I've been trying to learn mogul skiing for a couple of years but because I can only ski about 5-10 days a year and I'm 56 y/o (but in very good shape) I really am not progressing as fast as I'd like. Is there any practice techniques that I can try at home other than staying in shape? I was thinking about trying to "ski" down our stairs but don't know how well that will turn out!
mitch236

Re: Any way to practice at home?

Postby Jeffy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:45 pm

You really need to develope a good mogul turn on the flats and that takes time and practice/drills. Having said that, I like standing on a half balance ball in good mogul ski position (hands out front, etc.) and then lifting one leg at a time (as in an absorption position). This really helps train all the stabilizers muscles to help keep you balanced on the snow.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby Chris Moore » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWBkCDdgj2E

Plus don't think about just staying in shape. Do some other sports. Soccer is good for foot-eye coordination. Mountain biking is good for endurance but some of the skills also overlap. Everyone thinks it's nerdy but goofing around on rollerblades improves balance. Improvise with what's available to you. Whatever you can do to be a more all around athlete, not just a skier.

I expect Old School will have some tips as well...

-Chris
Chris Moore
Site Admin

Postby Old School » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Mitch, I have been using the skiers edge machine for a few years now. Other than being on your skis I have found it provides the closest feeling to skiing. http://www.skiersedge.com/
If you look around on ebay they sometimes show up less expensive. Feel free to contact me for any other ideas.
Last edited by Old School on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old School

Postby skinnyskis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:08 pm

http://www.skinet.com/ski/galleries/tips-pros-jonny-moseley-flowImage
Any lateral drills you can do—on dry land or on snow—will improve your quickness. “I used to jump side-to-side up stairs. It’s relatively low-impact, which isn’t ideal, but it forces you to squat down and suck your knees up. We also used to practice short-swing turns on the flats until we were blue in the face.” Jonny Mo would know.
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Postby mitch236 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:10 am

Thanks everyone, that video is insane!! I guess time on the mountain is key. I will try all the suggestions and continue to attend Chuck Martin's camps and hopefully one day, I will be able to ski moguls the way they were meant to be skied!
mitch236

Postby PomfretPlunge » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:24 pm

PomfretPlunge

Postby jack97 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:02 am

imo, balance is so important to skiing in general. I've been using the following boards;

I think the SI board is the best way to be in center, fore/aft and lateral.

Another board is the Drift board. Maintain rhythm by weight shifting and shifting the pace of that rhythm.
jack97

Postby spetrecky » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:24 am

or just ski 10-15 days instead.
spetrecky

Postby SD_skier » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:45 pm

I know this isn't exactly what you [OP] are asking, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Prior to moving to the mountains about 3 years ago, I too had very limited days each season. I would get about 5-12 days in each of the 15 preceding years. I was a complete and total tail sliding mess in the moguls. I fortunately connected with someone (shout out to MogulSensei) who had great advice and tips on mogul skiing. It is essentially the same stuff you hear over and over in the forum. Hands in front, absorbtion/extension, edge through the turns and identifying the best path through the line itself. Whenever I went skiing, I practiced those things religiously. I certainly sacrificed the fun of skiing other parts of the mountain (more proficiently) to practice these elements, but had the end goal of becoming a better mogul skier. Even with my very limited days, I was able to make monumental gains by just focusing on the fundamentals. I kept waiting to have an "ah ha moment" where everything just clicked in an epiphany and my mogul skiing was transformed in an instant. That singular pivotal moment never really happened. But I do recall one day realizing I hadn't blown out of a line in a very long time. Then realizing I ski the bumps a lot faster and in more control than I used to, etc. etc. By focusing on the fundamentals during my limited days each season everything had quietly come together over time.

I am not saying the dry land training isn't important, because it will help. What I am saying is if you really focus on the key elements of bump skiing, you can still make big strides even with limited days each year. Hope to see you out there some time.
SD_skier

Postby skinnyskis » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:44 pm

^You were lucky to connect with Sensei. The more moguls I ski, the more I realize how deeply his philosophies ran throughout all his posts. Regardless of whether you are working on issues top down or bottom up (Sensei was a big proponent of bottom up), reading some of his posts just prior to getting back on snow could give one a "couple of take aways" that would make those first days just that more productive (sort of your point I believe). Student: Old man, how is it that you hear these things? Sensei: Young man, how is it that you do not?
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Postby Yoranium238 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Balancing workouts would be a great addition offseason. I recently discovered downhill and freeride longboarding. More akin to snowboarding in terms of technique but it does encourage a stacked position over the board. I think a balance board (i.e. INDO) would be a good tool also
-- Chris from OH
Yoranium238

Return to Technique and Tips