Mogul Wedge - the missing link, the place to start?

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Mogul Wedge - the missing link, the place to start?

Postby skinnyskis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:44 pm

I’ll never forget the first time I saw the Mogul Logic demonstration of the Mogul Wedge. It was one of those ah-ha moments where I thought to myself, even a lower level intermediate skier could make great strides, on their way to becoming a competent bump skier from the comfort and security of the mogul wedge (good reason for beginning mogul skiers to view the Mogul Logic dvd).

I haven’t seen other videos of the mogul wedge till this (It’s actually more of a crab walk for most of the video, but the knee action is very apparent).

Thinking of, and working through progressions, (slow-fast, groom-bumps, flats-steep, (wedge-parallel?)) has really helped me improve my skiing, I believe the next drill progression from the Mogul Wedge would be the Mogul Wedge Hop (never seen video of that).

(Ignore the rounded shoulders and retreated genitalia in the photo - it's from an alpine site - do however take note of the pattern of tracks left in the snow from the wedge hops).
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Re: Mogul Wedge - the missing link, the place to start?

Postby SD_skier » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm actually a little confused as to what is going in that video? Is it doing a wedge, but flexing at the knees on the flats? Or is the learning technique to ski literal wedges through the bumps? Seems like there isn't enough room for beginners to actually ski pizza in the bumps?
SD_skier

Postby skinnyskis » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:31 pm

The mogul wedge (a drill done on the flats) has been discussed in previous posts, but IMO (I don’t really consider myself any sort of expert), it remains a somewhat overlooked, underrated, and fundamental drill from which to build a mogul turn.

When I watch the video, what I see demonstrated is a wedge turn that is very different to that which would be taught in a ski school (it is a mogul wedge after all). The skier (obviously a competent mogul skier) maintains a quiet upper body facing down the hill, mobile lower joints (maintaining shin pressure), tall posture (hips forward, shoulders back), hands forward with vision up – and perhaps most importantly no crouching !!!

Beyond basic stance learning (getting stacked), I’ll defer to mogulsensei’s expertise to elaborate on the benefits of this drill for skiers working on their short radius turns.
mogulsensei wrote:“The whole point of the wedge drill is to understand the dynamics involved in tipping the ski on edge and applying downward pressure to the ski in order to make the ski work by engaging the edges and bending it, not muscling it around.”

I haven’t spent much time wedging in a long time, but after watching the video, I’m inspired to give it a go when the snow arrives. If I’m “feeling it” I may even try it boots unbuckled.
skinnyskis

Postby highnoone » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:15 pm

Must be the New format?
highnoone

Postby skinnyskis » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Nope.
skinnyskis

Return to Technique and Tips