Ideal pole length & pole plants in bumps spaced far apart?

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Ideal pole length & pole plants in bumps spaced far apart?

Postby SD_skier » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Any thoughts on the ideal [relative] pole length for bump skiing? For context, I typically ski bumps with my arms extended as far out in front of me as possible, with a slight bend at the elbow, while not far enough to make my butt stick out or break at the waist.

I've noticed my ability to keep good hand positioning, and pole plant on the backside of bumps, varies somewhat depending upon bump size, bump spacing and steepness of line. No doubt there are deficincies in my technique, but I am wondering if a different pole length would help.

For example, on low angle, or even runs with average steepness, my hand positioning feels good. I am able to pole plant on the back side of bumps pretty well and keep my hands out in front consistently. When the runs get significantly steeper, I've noticed the bumps tend to get farther apart. (I am guessing this is because skiers tend to do bigger turns or even skid more when they encounter steeper runs, hence the bumps become farther apart than on lower angle runs?). When this happens, it seems like the bumps are too far apart for me to consistently pole plant on the back side of the mogul. The transition point of my turn (and subsequent pole plant) is too far away for me to reach the backside of the bump. I end up planting on the front, or top, of the bump. Consequently, I have to raise my hands to get the poles up and over the bump. What usually happens is I can't do that fast enough and ski past my hands and they end up on my side.

In addition, I sometimes get the same thing happening [with my hands & poles] when bumps get extra large. Even if I plant on the backside of bump, I have to raise my hands up to get the end of the pole up and over the next bump for the pole plant. I know shorter poles would help here, but would the shorter length be a detriment when skiing smaller bumps?

So I guess I am actually asking a few questions.

1) Technique and strategy for dealing with bumps that are very steep and spaced far apart.
2) What is the ideal relative pole length for skiing bumps?
3) How much should I expect #2 to help with #1?
SD_skier

Re: Ideal pole length & pole plants in bumps spaced far apar

Postby spetrecky » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:10 am

i think most people on here use like 40-42 range regardless of their actual height. i am 5 8 and use like a 40-41, or a 40 and a 41 depending on the quality of my pole cutting skills and laziness. if your poles are too long your absorption will be wacky d style.
spetrecky

Re: Ideal pole length & pole plants in bumps spaced far apar

Postby SD_skier » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:24 pm

I just measured my poles and found they are almost 44 inches long. I'm 5'9, so I will try cutting them down to about 41inches to see if that helps. Any suggestions on planting on the backside of bumps when the moguls are spaced really far apart?
SD_skier

Return to Technique and Tips