Position bindings and installation

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Position bindings and installation

Postby Den1200 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi, I am installing Pivot 14 bindings on Fatypus B-Nasty skis.

When I took the Mogul Logic class a while ago they told me to install the front part of the bindings without the black bottom plate as it would promote ski control. I had not done on my old skis, but thought of doing that now. Still is the correct? It seems to me that with the Pivot bindings my boots will then not be parallel to the ski anymore, but would be pointing slightly down? Anyone any insights? Does it really make a difference and should I do it?

Also, the same group told me to install my binding a little forward to the recommended install point as it promotes turning speed in the bumps. Again is that correct and recommended?

Do either make a big difference?

Thanks
Den1200

Re: Position bindings and installation

Postby Chris Moore » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Den1200-

Disregard that advice when it comes to the P14's. There is no plate to remove. Some racing or carving bindings come with a riser plate which you would want to avoid for a mogul skiing. However the P14 is designed to mount as flush to the ski as possible so you're all set. No worries.

As to mounting position, that's a subject for debate. For some brands the standard mounting position is just fine, others you want to move forward a bit. Hopefully someone in the forum community can comment on the situation with Fatypus. Personally I don't have experience with that particular brand so I can't advise.

-Chris
Chris Moore
Site Admin

Re: Position bindings and installation

Postby Derkleiner » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:36 pm

I have the Fatypus B nasty skis and I would not recommend mounting them forward of the recommended line. I feel that they are perfect on the factory line. I also recommend detuning the tips and tails of this ski a little bit. 2-4 inches in should do the trick nicely. As for the bindings. I had the rossignol P series not the actual turntable heel and felt that removing the plate helped and didn't give me a noticeable wedge.
I feel the more places I go the more squatchy this country feels.
Derkleiner

Return to Technique and Tips