F17 Binding selection brake width - Look Pivot / Rossi FKS

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

F17 Binding selection brake width - Look Pivot / Rossi FKS

Postby brptrailrider » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm about to order bindings for my F17's.

The Pivot 14/FKS 140 have 95 mm brake and the skis are 66 mm wide. That's the smallest brake size available. Is this going to be a problem? Any advice?

Here are the options I see:
1. Just install them the way they are and not worry about it
2. Find a shop that sells them and will bend them before shipping
3. Bend the brakes myself
4. Have a local shop bend them (if I can find one)
5. Choose another pair of bindings (which ones? DIN 14+)

Thanks for your help.
brptrailrider

Re: F17 Binding selection brake width - Look Pivot / Rossi F

Postby dcameroniii » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:57 pm

I would not recommend the 95mm brake, as the overhang would be tremendous. Bending is an option, however it stresses the metal and breakage becomes an issue. I cannot recommend the Look/Rossi pivot enough, if you can find them with the appropriate brake size. Look in the store here for Look Pivot 14's with a 78mm brake. Dynastar/Lange/Look's homepage (http://www.dynastar.com then go to online store) also has 72mm brakes available on Pivot 14's (though the snow may be gone before you get them; I've been waiting for almost a month).
dcameroniii

Postby brptrailrider » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. I only see 95, 115 and 130 mm brake sizes on the Pivot 14:
http://store.dynastar.com/families/689226

Am I missing something?

The Pivot 18 has a 72 mm brake option. I suppose that is an option but my DIN is 11 and the Pivot 18 is another $100 (noticeable) plus it is heavier (probably not noticeable). Not sure if that is a good way to go.
brptrailrider

Postby Chris Moore » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Hey folks-

The P14s with narrow brakes are in short supply this year. I've ordered over a dozen pair, two are on their way to me now and one of those pairs is already sold. The other pair is up for grabs.

I'm told there will be more at some point but I don't know when.

I also have the Salomon Z12 Ti binding in stock with a narrow brake. It's a perfectly good binding. I don't recommend using a wide brake on mogul skis. Bending a wide brake to make it narrow would also be strongly discouraged.

-Chris
Chris Moore
Site Admin

Postby brptrailrider » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Hey Chris, I ordered the bindings from you. Thanks for the fast shipping and great customer service!

The bindings were mounted a couple weeks ago and the shop set the toe at 7.5 and the heel at 9.5. They pointed this out before I noticed and said "the torque wrench doesn't lie; this is where you should be for proper release." I've had bindings have the heel and toe set different in the past but never by this much. If at all, then 0.5 to 1.0 additional in the heel to prevent forward premature heel release.

235 lb, 6'2", 360 mm boot sole, type 3. Normally run 10.5 to 11.5 DIN.

Any thoughts? Anyone?
brptrailrider

Postby Jeffy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:36 pm

7.5 and 9.5 seem a bit low for your height/weight for mogul skiing. I would recommend bumping them up a bit to avoid any nasty early releases. Perhaps 10 front and back to keep it simple.
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby Chris Moore » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Seems slightly odd that that's what the settings would work out to. However the numbers on the bindings are just a rough guides, the torque wrench is the tool that gives a precise measurement of when the bindings will release. So I'd tend to agree with the tech's comment to a degree.

Regardless, why not take them to another shop and ask them to adjust them for you. You don't have to tell them why, just tell them you need them properly calibrated and see what it comes out to. If they come back with the same numbers then I think you're good to go. Might cost you a few more bucks but it's a lot cheaper than a knee injury.

-Chris
Chris Moore
Site Admin

Return to Technique and Tips