Binding Mounting position – The Gold Standard (Twister)

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Binding Mounting position – The Gold Standard (Twister)

Postby skinnyskis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:27 pm

There are a lot of opinions out there regarding binding mounting positions for various skis. However, when it comes to the Twister, there seems to be a consensus that the factory mark is pretty much optimal (for those wanting a mounting point that improves the performance of their skis - without getting overly technical about it - copying the twister mount is a viable option).

Chris Moore wrote:Re: Binding Mount Position for Hart F17 WC Mogul
by Chris Moore » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:52 am

Just to confirm. I have both Twisters and F17s in stock at the moment for the MS.N store.

Taking one pair of each in the 175cm length and leaning them up against the wall next to each other I can tell you they are essentially the exact same length physically. I can also tell you that the (almost impossible to find) center mark on the F17 is exactly 2 centimeters behind the center mark on the Twister.

Most who ski the Twister consider the standard mount just right. Personally, if I mount up a pair of F17s I will simply copy the mounting position of the Twister. But I'm not going to get any more technical about it than that.

-Chris

That being said, where is this mark? Well for those without a pair of twisters to copy, the 175cm twister has a running surface of 149.1cm and the mid-sole mark is -6cm from the center of running surface (CRS).

I could be out a few mm here and there, but I’ve measured the following skis for reference:

Twister, 175cm, running surface of 149.1cm, mid-sole mark CRS –6cm
Bloodline, 170cm, running surface of 151.5cm, mid-sole mark CRS –6cm
ID One, 171cm, running surface of 147.5cm, mid-sole mark CRS –5.5cm
Head, 171cm, running surface of 149.7cm, mid-sole mark CRS –7.5cm
Dragonslayer, 170cm, running surface of 144.9cm, mid-sole mark CRS –9cm
Rebellion, 170cm, running surface of 144.1cm, mid-sole mark CRS –9cm

*the twister is a traditional cambered ski, mounting points for rockered skis are completely different
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Re: Binding Mounting position – The Gold Standard (Twister)

Postby rondo320 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Has anything changed in the last couple of years or is the most common mounting position on the Twisters still the center mark?
rondo320

Postby Jeffy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:01 pm

Still good
-Jeff
Portland, OR
Jeffy

Postby skinnyskis » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:20 pm

The Twister mark, mid-sole of boot CRS –6cm, seems to work well for a lot of skiers. With an average foot size this mounting point would likely result in the skier's ball of foot (BOF) being pretty close to the skis CRS - unless you have unusual feet there is likely no need to get any more technical. FWIW I would consider using the ID One mounting point of mid-sole of boot CRS –5.5cm for skiers with smallish feet (I believe ID One know what they are doing and Japanese skiers typically have smaller feet).
skinnyskis

Postby rondo320 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Thanks for the info.
A friend just got a great deal on the twisters from Suburban.
Once he gets them mounted, I'll be able to try them out since our boot size is the same.
I'm also in the market for new skis because my Hart WCs are failing.
The front metal cap that's mounted on the bottom is bending back where it meets the edges forming hooks.
I've tried to bend the hooks back into position with pliers and file them flat but they redevelop after one or two days.
I have about 140 days on the WCs so I'm not too disappointed.
rondo320

Postby skinnyskis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:32 am

I haven't done it myself, but I've heard of others putting a bolt (or three) through the tips of their skis when they are delaminating (Public Enemies even come from the factory with rivets to reduce the possibility of delamination). I'm not sure if your skis are that far gone but it might be something to consider when they are really getting trashed.
skinnyskis

Postby Chris Moore » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:27 pm

For another POV on this subject check out the new "Tech Tips" section in the MogulSkiing.Net store authored by none other than Chuck Martin.

http://www.mogulskiing.net/tech-tips.html

-Chris
Chris Moore
Site Admin

Return to Technique and Tips