Bumpbusters at Copper

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Bumpbusters at Copper

Postby mogulnewb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:06 am

Anyone familiar with the group that runs clinics at Copper?

I usually buy a pass and ski there so I was thinking I'd take their clinic if it's good. I guess I could make it over to WP if necessary.
mogulnewb

Re: Bumpbusters at Copper

Postby coloradomogulskier » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:29 pm

save your money
coloradomogulskier

Postby mogulnewb » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:37 pm

that bad?
mogulnewb

Postby rondo320 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:01 pm

The program used to be offered almost every weekend, now it's only offered a few weekends a year and called a camp. Steve Karp (Karpy) runs the program and was a competitor on the world cup circuit. Copper is not a bump mecca at least for zipper line bumps. Little Burn and Mine Dump are the closest you'll get to zipper lines. The program utilizes those trails and Hallelujah with some flat land training at the Timberline lift to start. A lot of the participants are strong intermediates who want to develop bump skills, some just to survive and others to get rid of bad habits. Karpy is an excellent instructor but the class will eventually be divided among other instructors based on skill levels and I am not familiar enough with them to comment. If you are lucky enough to get Karpy he will take the time to tailor your instruction to your needs and desires. The camp is more weighted to PSIA than World Cup technique. The core of the technique is the balanced athletic stance with emphasis on boot flex.
I'm surprised this program will again be offered because of Copper management's anti-bump philosophy. A-Basis is getting that way too. I suppose Intrawest will eventually make Mary Jane an intermediate groomed heaven, I hear they already tried when they first took over.
What Copper needs is an upper level bump class with emphasis on World Cup technique on zipper line bumps but that will never happen. That's not what their target customers want.
rondo320

Postby mogulnewb » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks for the response.

I had heard good things about Karpy, but it didn't occur to me that I might not spend my time with him.

It seems often times areas don't know exactly what their market is until they build it. I can't see why seeding one run would be that controversial? There's certainly the gradient and vertical present to make it happen.

Perhaps I'll just head over to WP for one of their camps or hire Karpy for a one day private.
mogulnewb

Postby coloradomogulskier » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:56 pm

come to the Jane. All else will become obvious. muhahahahah
coloradomogulskier

Postby trex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:33 pm

I did one of those clinics at Copper 3 years ago. It was actually pretty good and they taught zipperline skiing. At the end they have a little "competition". Karpy pointed out a couple good tips for my skiing. I think the program (at least it was) is some kind of multiple lesson deal where most of the other people had been to many of these clinics during the season. Only two of us were newbs to the program that day. A couple of really good bumpers in that group but mostly intermediates so you don't feel too intimidated. You should try it out.
trex

Postby highnoone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:59 am

highnoone

Postby bradpevans » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:05 pm

i took this (with Karpy) a few years back. if you back out the price of the lift ticket then its an amazing value

i learned a lot. karpy rips and has a great eye
bradpevans

Postby raclro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 pm

I have no experience with the Copper clinics but thought I should throw in a defense of Copper Mountain's bumps.
We ski Mary Jane most of the time but also go to Copper a few times each year since our pass works there too. You can always count on nice bumps and generally good conditions on two runs off the Alpine lift. Both Far East and Too Much are never groomed and are long uninterrupted bump runs with few other skiers. Since they face north and never get direct sun they rarely ice up. If you have a pass or ticket, for a few bucks you can park within a 20 second walk of the lift that never has a line. Yes I know they are not quite as steep as much of Mary Jane, but sometimes that is a good thing. Same for Resolution, usually a nice variety of bumps there. Ski laps all morning on the Alpine lift, eat lunch, and ski the afternoon of Resolution after it has softened up. Makes for a pretty good bump day. If you are a good bump skier with limited time in Colorado, yes Mary Jane is your place, you have to do it. If you want some nice variety and something a little easier Copper has some great and dependable bump skiing. There is also Ore Deal, a short almost never groomed, and rarely skied little run on the way to the bottom for lunch.
raclro

Postby rondo320 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:36 pm

Well, I guess the snow is always whiter on the other side of the tunnel.
Since I ski mostly Copper (because I live here) with an add on to my pass of Winter Park, IMO both areas have a lot to offer in bumps but when it comes to decent lines MJ takes the cake. Copper has a lot of all mountain bump terrain but other than Mine Dump and Little Burn the lines are short lived. PSIA works well at Copper but WC is at MJ.
MJ has a history of bump skiing with programs for all levels including competition for all ages. Copper has Bump Busters three weekends a year and that's it. It's OK but it's no MJ.
Maybe someday the management of Copper will wake up and realize the potential they have. God knows my friends and I have tried to convince them but the MBA's don't listen because they know best.
rondo320

Return to Technique and Tips