Generally Unheard Of

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Generally Unheard Of

Postby Moguls123 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Its 123, bumpers! So, i thought it would be cool to start a new topic on all of the tips generally kept secret in small mogul groups.

One tip that i found that ties in with pointing ski tips downhill is that you can actually pull your feet under you as you absorb. I've only heard of this once and i assume there are many other little tricks and tips to assist the big ideas of mogul skiing technique.

Also, a flick of the wrist to point your pole further downhill naturally initiates absorption. That's another unheard of one!

Any more, PLEASE POST!!!! Thanks!!!
Moguls123

Re: Generally Unheard Of

Postby PomfretPlunge » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:01 am

Here are some tips that have helped me a lot. These are in order thru the turn, from start to finish

- PA Rousseau showed me that you start your turn by shifting your weight onto the new ski, like stepping from one balance beam onto another

- CJ68 taught me that you have to make that starting weight shift extremely early, i.e. think of the shift quite a bit before the top of your turn, because it takes some time for the body to actually execute it. Early on the downhill ski. Really early. Even earlier! That lets the ski start to come around on its own so it doesn't get caught on the bump

- A runaway ski which travelled slowly and smoothly from top to bottom down our mogul run, mooshing its way with its tip through and over every obstacle showed me that after the weight shift, you can learn to ride the ski almost as if it is a skateboard, and if you trust it and ride it patiently for a moment (while pulling feet back), it will turn exactly the way it wants to and smooth you through any snow, with that turned-up tip leading

- CJ68 told me that you actually get your weight on the uphill ski (new downhill ski) while it is still uphill of you. This was kindof a mindblower because at first I felt like that uphill inside edge would catch and trip me up. But actually it bites in and gives you speed control along the top half of the turn. You can feel the edge grinding -- that's what you want

- I figured out myself that if just before you roll the knees, you nudge the uphill (new downhill) knee forward a bit, the nudge bends the ski into reverse camber and energizes it, makes it leap into the turn

- Emiko Torito showed me that the main motion in the mogul turn is knee roll. You practice it by sideslipping and just pushing your knees into the hill. Or by skiing across the run and edging. Video here: http://www.canfreestyle.com/wiki/cross- ... ne-edging/ There is also a short John Smart tip vid showing knee roll but I can't find it at the moment.

- Freddy Mooney showed us that the knee roll can be very snappy! Gets you on the new edge quick!

- David Babic showed me that after the knee roll, you can pull your new downhill foot backward (lead change) and that helps you get cleanly and fully onto the new ski, and opens a pocket behind the forward knee so you can really roll the knees wide

- Sho Kashima taught me that when you make the lead change, you should keep your skis down flat on the snow. You don't have to lift your heel on the new uphill leg, you can just stay down with constant pressure. Saves time and helps keep balance & stay smooth with no wasted motion

- CJ68 taught me that as you come into the fall line on each turn, if you make sure your hips are square and your weight is really fully forward, then your weight will actually lift the tails of your skis slightly off the snow, which prevents the tails from catching as you go around the apex of the turn. You can practice this feeling by going over a lip and feeling your weight swing forward as you go over the edge. Then when you do it in a turn, make sure you are getting that weight waaay forward as you come into the fall line and feel how the tails lift for a split second and the ski turns around the apex smooth & easy.

- Freddy Mooney taught me that once you're around the apex and sliding down the backside, make sure you're sliding on bent legs, not straight legs. This keeps you loose and ready to shift your weight early to start the next turn back the other way

- Last week CJ68 taught me to get off the old edge and onto the new ski quickly-quickly. Don't slide too long on the downhill ski -- that's speed control for chickens. Instead of sliding too long, get on the new edge and take your speed control on the top of the new turn, not the bottom of the old one

- Mondeo and Mad River Jack taught me that at the start of the season, when you are stale and outta practice, you gotta remember that mogul skiing is an extremely fast and active sport. You gotta get active! and shift the hips & weight quick-quick with no letup even though I'm lazy after summer and have fallen back into the slow moseyin' speeds of life on dry land.

So those are probably the main breakthrough tips that helped me with the basic flats turn. There are a bunch more that helped a lot with stance, absorption, poleplants etc.

Peace
Plunge
Last edited by PomfretPlunge on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PomfretPlunge

Postby Blanton » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:24 am

Never let either pole basket get as far back as your binding toe piece. Back of your head should be even with the heel piece of your binding.
Blanton

Postby PomfretPlunge » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:20 am

When starting down a run, on the first 2 bumps, I was panicking and pushing my heels & tails for speed control.

- David Babic said instead of pushing the heels, which messes up your first 2 turns, *pull* the heels and commit yourself downhill. Make those first 2 turns just like the turns on the main part of the run. Making sure you pull keeps the first turns smooth and lets you flow naturally into your rhythm as you pick up speed.
PomfretPlunge

Postby Moguls123 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:01 pm

sweet posts guys!!! keep em' coming...

I learned so much from these, i don't think i knew 90% of these tips!
Moguls123

Postby SD_skier » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Hands - My usual MO when standing at the top of a line is to keep my hands in front of me, but with my elbows in tight, pressed up against my ribs. I was watching footage of great NorAm skiers earlier this season and noticed a few of them were skiing with their arms almost fully extended out in front of them. I've been trying to emulate this and have noticed a huge benefit. It doesn't look quite as cool as say a Cola, with his hands really tight to his body. However, it has helped my pole plant timing and turns quite a bit. I noticed I don't have my hands pulling me into the backseat as much, when i concentrate on holding them out in front of me rather than just reaching for the next pole plant.
SD_skier

Postby Old School » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:59 am

https://vimeo.com/48781012

See :42-1:50 of the attached video. All of these skiers have their hands out in front of them. Good luck.
Last edited by Old School on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old School

Postby SSSdave » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Old School wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTofwOeCIw0&feature=youtu.be

See :42-1:50 of the attached video. All of these skiers have their hands out in front of them. Good luck.

It's been decades since I skied some of those runs. Absolutely perfect somewhat relaxed mogul gradients and dry packed powder snow for the kind of long descents I enjoy best. Like how some of you skiers ski more relaxed without gaining much speed as is my style too. A common tip elsewhere as on this thread is "...with pointing ski tips downhill is that you can actually pull your feet under you as you absorb." Will try and get out there next spring since I have a bud and his gal living out there now.

Generally of course one needs to have their vertical stacked body alignment relatively perpendicular to the incline of a slope versus gravity vertical. Doing so, one's upper body is going to be further down a slope during the noted part of the turn than the lower legs. Thus pulling one's feet under during absorption also faciliates keeping that forward leading upper body position we learn, as part of what allows better leverage against the steeper part of a bump we need to get some bite edging back against. By time one reaches the mound below, the feet due to extension have moved somewhat further forward relative to the upper body than it was at compression above. But as long as some of the upper body, especially the leading arms/hands/poles are as Old School noted, still in a forward leading position, ones will still have good upper body mass leading in order to leverage against the mound instead of being spit out into the backseat.
SSSdave

Postby skinnyskis » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:32 am

If you get the opportunity to try a pair of competition mogul skis “It’s really important that you do not let any snow get between your skis”.

My first run on mogul skis was less than satisfying – then I remembered this tip from a club coach (I have never read or heard this tip since). 20 minutes later, I was loving the quickness (edge to edge) and precision of my mogul skis – so much so that to this day I find them useful in most “no new snow” situations.
Skiing with good posture since 2008 - thanks MS.net
skinnyskis

Postby bendtheski » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:31 am

"Dude, bend the ski"
-Dave Frendel; former Pro Mogul skier

Hasn't improved my skiing one bit, but still makes me laugh!
Best advice I can give is don't forget to have fun.
Wag more, bark less
bendtheski

Return to Technique and Tips