Canadian Freestyle team drills

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Canadian Freestyle team drills

Postby PomfretPlunge » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Lots of drills posted & explained by the Canadian Freestyle team. Includes vids.

http://www.canfreestyle.com/wiki/category/skills/turn/
PomfretPlunge

Re: Canadian Freestyle team drills

Postby skyline » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Good find Plunge...lots of good vids...next time up I gotta try the double pole plant drill...
http://www.canfreestyle.com/wiki/double-pole-plant/
It's not that you can't ski moguls... it's that you can't ski and moguls prove it...
skyline

Postby coloradomogulskier » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Double pole plant drill = this is total crap.

Go out on your hill and try this on non-symmetrical moguls. You might as well strap a giant flag of the lone star state to your back.
coloradomogulskier

Postby skyline » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:04 pm

coloradomogulskier wrote:Double pole plant drill = this is total crap.

Go out on your hill and try this on non-symmetrical moguls. You might as well strap a giant flag of the lone star state to your back.

As a drill... why would you say this is "crap"?? Usually you are more verbally prolific in your response... :)
It's not that you can't ski moguls... it's that you can't ski and moguls prove it...
skyline

Postby coloradomogulskier » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Ah,

There on tons of proven methods that help hands, this one is interesting because it is demonstrated on pure left-right slush moguls. I will name a few of the proven ones (I don't advocate any one over another).

1) lunch tray (hold your pole together flat palms up). If your poles swivel a lot side to side, you have to adjust ect. ect.
2) Beach ball press. Blow up a beach ball press in from the sides and go ski some bumps> Teaches you not yo roll your shoulders forward (pinch shoulder blades)
3) Poles up method. hold your pole with the baskets pointing to the sky. Ski some bumps, take some video and see if they are all over the place.
4) Counter punch, (which is the most similar to the double pole plant). Counter punch with the reach and wait for the mogul.

I see what is trying to be demonstrated, I just think this drill is trying to hard to be different and is probably less effective. Hands for the most part now days especially with the WC guys are way too close.. They get away with this because the moguls are small and perfect. On real bumps this practice is too restricting.

Finally, the Javelin turn is a better method to pull the opposite hip forward to all ow the skier to stay direct and ski the middle line. I tend to ski shallow, I think the skiers who ski real deep stay square easier. I don't ski super deep, I am more mid range so keeping my hands and hips nice is easy and the double pole plant drill seems reaching in my opinion.

I am teaching my girlfriend how to ski moguls. She is currently on a GS all mountain ski which is great for all the skiers out there except someone who wants to be super quick moguls to mogul and ski more direct. She turns her hips and has to work out getting a basic short swing carved turn down before we can even think about the above drills. We don't have any bumps yet (snow sucks so far). So we are doing lots of Alpine stuff, fast GS turns (trying to eliminate all skid and laying perfect radius carves deep). With respect to the topic-- just flicking the pole. Whe the snow gets good we will get quicker and I will do the lunch tray method with Lindsay.
coloradomogulskier

Postby Blanton » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:01 pm

I heard she was the one teaching you skiing and mtb...
Blanton

Postby skyline » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:01 am

coloradomogulskier wrote:Ah,

There on tons of proven methods that help hands, this one is interesting because it is demonstrated on pure left-right slush moguls. I will name a few of the proven ones (I don't advocate any one over another).

1) lunch tray (hold your pole together flat palms up). If your poles swivel a lot side to side, you have to adjust ect. ect.
2) Beach ball press. Blow up a beach ball press in from the sides and go ski some bumps> Teaches you not yo roll your shoulders forward (pinch shoulder blades)
3) Poles up method. hold your pole with the baskets pointing to the sky. Ski some bumps, take some video and see if they are all over the place.
4) Counter punch, (which is the most similar to the double pole plant). Counter punch with the reach and wait for the mogul.

I see what is trying to be demonstrated, I just think this drill is trying to hard to be different and is probably less effective. Hands for the most part now days especially with the WC guys are way too close.. They get away with this because the moguls are small and perfect. On real bumps this practice is too restricting.

Finally, the Javelin turn is a better method to pull the opposite hip forward to all ow the skier to stay direct and ski the middle line. I tend to ski shallow, I think the skiers who ski real deep stay square easier. I don't ski super deep, I am more mid range so keeping my hands and hips nice is easy and the double pole plant drill seems reaching in my opinion.

I am teaching my girlfriend how to ski moguls. She is currently on a GS all mountain ski which is great for all the skiers out there except someone who wants to be super quick moguls to mogul and ski more direct. She turns her hips and has to work out getting a basic short swing carved turn down before we can even think about the above drills. We don't have any bumps yet (snow sucks so far). So we are doing lots of Alpine stuff, fast GS turns (trying to eliminate all skid and laying perfect radius carves deep). With respect to the topic-- just flicking the pole. Whe the snow gets good we will get quicker and I will do the lunch tray method with Lindsay.

As per usual u don't disappoint. Minus someone filming my skiing technique I will try the double pole drill on the flats. If done according to video seems to be just another warmup tool to add to the quiver. Thanks for the imput CMS... :)
skyline

Postby Rufus » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:36 am

I just came across this. Double pole plant is a good drill in the flats working with developing skiers with keeping both hands forward, light touch, reaching with the plants, and staying square. It has it's utility. Also the Canadian drill of double pole plants same side for upper/lower separation. Watching closely, you will see a lot of world cup skiers square with a double before the top air, not that it is ideal technique for competition, but they do it to square.
Rufus

Return to Technique and Tips