Mogul Terminology and Vocabulary

Share your mogul skiing technique and tips here, and ask your questions about mogul skiing here.

Moderators: SkiDork, bvibert

Mogul Terminology and Vocabulary

Postby cj68 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:31 pm

For those that have not seen this, here is a list of mogul skiing terms, vocabulary, and descriptions. This was taken from the Mogul Logic website.

I thought that some of you might find it useful and interesting.

cj

TERMS
Basic Body Position for Mogul Skiing

Stack: Basic Body alignment with the hips and shoulders stacked over the down hill foot.

Lead Change: When the body is stacked properly over the downhill foot the uphill knee naturally advances forward. The leading knee changes as the weight shifts onto the new downhill ski

Transitions: The weight shifts from down hill ski to the new downhill ski using lead change with out up weighting and down weighting.

Knee Roll: As the weight shifts onto the new ski the knees roll into the angle of the new turn.

Knee Angle: The ski is put on edge with knee angle not hip angle. This allows the knees to bend freely up and down.

Weight Shift: The body should be in a non banked stance. The shoulders should always stay over the downhill ski.

Shin Pressure: Shin pressure should be maintained at all times on the front of the boot.

NonBraced Stance: To increase sensitivity and free range of motion the body should not be bracing against it self in any way.

Center of Mass: The center of mass which is just below the belly button should always be projecting down the hill.

Parallel Shafts: The legs should create parallel shafts under the center of mass with the uphill ski and the down hill ski tracking together.

Opposing Hip Drive: The uphill hip should drive down the fall line.

Turn Placement: Turning happens on the top and backside of the moguls.

Absorption and Extension

Foot Containment: As the knees bend and absorb the feet pull back underneath the center of mass to keep the body stacked properly.

Reverse Bicycle: The motion of foot containment is similar to pedaling a bike backwards

Center of Mass Moving Through: When absorbing and extending the center of mass should always be moving down the fall line.

Punch: The tips of the skis should push powerfully down the backside of each mogul. The legs extend for the next mogul in an aligned position.

Release: The body should be in stacked position when the skis make contact with the face of the mogul so that tension can be released in the legs allowing the knees to absorb the mogul.

Touch: If the body is aligned properly the impact will be very light on the face of the mogul, because the knees will be able to absorb the impact.

Tip Touch: The releasing, absorption process should happen the second the tips make contact with the mogul.

Hip Clearing: The hips and center of mass should always clear the top of the mogul as the tips of the skis punch down the backside of the mogul.

Hip Projection: The hips and center of mass should always be projecting down the fall line.

Passive Active: Ryan Riley is more of a passive style skier. He maintains a good body position and looks very relaxed. Shupletsov was more of an active skier who was able ski with a lot of knee angle and absorption. Shupletsov appeared to actively pull his feet underneath his center of mass.

Anticipation: Setting up the body into a stacked position early in the extension process so that the legs are able to release the second the tip makes contact with the mogul.

Pre Jumping: Prejumping the face of the mogul pumping with heavy contact on the backside. This is a technique to gain speed in the moguls.

Effective Range: The range of motion used when the knees move up and down. The range can be adjusted according to the size of the moguls and the pitch of the terrain.

Air

Approach: Spot the jump early, control speed three bumps early, the last two moguls before the air are key for setting up balance.

Vision: A loose focus should be kept on the jump on the approach and a loose focus should be on the landing and the next three moguls after the take off.

4 Point Take Off: Both poles should touch lightly on top of the jump on take off. This helps square the body to the fall line.

Bink: A light 4 point take off on the jump so that the hands do not fall behind the center of mass.

Take off Extension: The legs should be fully extended on top of the jump.

Shin Pressure: When approaching the transition of the jump the shins should be pressing into the boots with the center of mass stacked over the ball of the foot.

Hips Up: During the take off extension the hips should come all the way up into a symmetrical position.

Symmetry: When executing the tricks in the air the body should stay in a symmetrical position with the shoulders "T'd" off with the rest of the body.

Spotting: When approaching the top of the jump the eyes should spot forward over the jump with a loose focus.

Timing; The take off extension should be timed to give the maximum lift off the top of the jump.

Relaxing into the Center: When landing in the moguls it is important to relax into the center of mass.

Big Air Projection: When executing the take off extension concentrate on projecting the body up into the air.

Upper Body and Vision

Arm box: The arms should form a box in front of the body with the hands in line with the elbows

Square Shoulders: The shoulders should square up to the fall line.

Down Hill Shoulder Drive: The shoulder over the downhill ski should be driving down onto the downhill ski.

Back Side Pole Plants: The basket of the pole should reach for the downhill side of the mogul in front of you.

Pulling Down the Hill: The pole swing should be early. It is a sensation of being pulled down the fall line with the pole plants.

Suppression: Pulling down with the shoulders. Settling into the center of mass.

Soft Focus: Focusing down the fall line with out spot fixation.

Spot Fixation: Looking at one spot in a mogul line and loosing the flow of motion.

Look 3 Moguls Ahead: Refer to Look 3 Moguls Ahead.

Opposite Hand Drive: The hand that is not planting should be driving down the fall line.

Light Pole Plants: Pole plants should be used as a timing device. They should not be used for balance.

Relaxation: The upper body should be relaxed.

Grip: Pole straps should be wrapped around the hand. The grip on the pole should be light using the wrist to swing the basket of the pole forward.

Athletic Skiing

Flowing Focus: The mental focus in a competition run that enables the mind and body to flow while skiing down the run.

Non-Thinking: Letting thoughts go during a competition run so that the body can ski.

Top to Bottom Focus: Visualizing a run from top to bottom with air. Focusing through mistakes.

Skiing Through Mistakes: Skiing through mistakes in training so those mistakes do not paralyze the focus during competition runs.

Paralysis by Analysis: Focusing on one point during a run and losing the flow.

Self-Talk Key Words: Use one key word to keep the focus flowing.

Visualization: Learn to visualize competition runs from top to bottom. This can take some practice.

Trust Your Stuff: Trust yourself to let go of your thoughts when you are in the competition gate. The thinking is done during training.

Speed Relaxation: The key to going fast is to breathe and relax into the center of mass.

Key Words

Absorption - Letting the knees come up when the skis make contact with the face of the mogul in order to absorb the impact.

Range - The distance between absorption and extension.

Extension - Extending the legs in the hole after the absorption so the legs can absorb the next mogul.

Macaroni - A difficult World Cup technique of countering the force of impact between the lower leg and the mogul with the upper body.

Purchase - Ski to snow contact on the backside of the mogul.

Touch - Absorbing the necessary amount for each mogul, absorbing enough but not getting to deep. Anticipating the depth of range needed.

Dictionary of Technique

Overall body position - Hips and upper body should face downhill. The shoulders, hips and feet should remain stacked over each other when viewed from the side or the front.

Head - Eyes should look three to four moguls ahead at slow speeds, five moguls ahead at faster speeds.

Shoulders - The shoulders should stay level with each other and when viewed from the side should not be ahead of or behind the torso.

Arms - Arms slightly wider than shoulder width apart. The hands considerably in front of the torso without involving the shoulders and keeping a slight bend in the elbows.

Hands - Pole plant on the backside of the moguls with only movement from the wrists. Poles should swing back and forth opposite of each other and never remain static.

Torso - Back should stay straight and perpendicular to the slope. No tilting side to side when viewed from the front, it should be a shift with the shoulders over the waist.

Hips - The hips should be over the feet and under the shoulders and stay pointed downhill.

Legs - Absorbing and extending as needed while turning without involving the upper body.

Knees - The knees are on the opposite side of the body with respect to the mogul when contact with the mogul is made, driving to the inside as everything else settles to the outside of the turn.

Lower leg - When contact with the mogul is made the lower leg is at an angle, being perpendicular to the side of the mogul.

Feet - The feet should be patient and not reach for the next mogul. Remaining under the hips and the shoulders when viewed from the side and the front.
cj68

Postby BushMogulMaster » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:57 pm

Thanks! This is a great reference.

I might have to print a copy as well.
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby cj68 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:55 pm

Maybe you can make it a sticky?

cj
cj68

Re: Mogul Terminology and Vocabulary

Postby wasabi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm

cj68 wrote:Stack: Basic Body alignment with the hips and shoulders stacked over the down hill foot.

Lead Change: When the body is stacked properly over the downhill foot the uphill knee naturally advances forward. The leading knee changes as the weight shifts onto the new downhill ski

I'm a new mogul skier and confused about some terms.

Stacked I do not understand being a former racer and have been trying to get angles. If I'm right, I have to many angles. Can anyone help?

Lead change I have been taught to eliminate. Is this wrong?

Please help me as I believe this is the number one source of mogul skiing.
wasabi

Postby skier guy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:50 pm

cj68 wrote:Anticipation: Setting up the body into a stacked position early in the extension process so that the legs are able to release the second the tip makes contact with the mogul.

Anticipation is seeing the moguls before i hit it and blow it to pieces by going over the top. Basically i am cutting the mogul in half.
skier guy

Postby BushMogulMaster » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:12 am

wasabi wrote:
cj68 wrote:Stack: Basic Body alignment with the hips and shoulders stacked over the down hill foot.

I'm a new mogul skier and confused about some terms.

Stacked I do not understand being a former racer and have been trying to get angles. If I'm right, I have to many angles. Can anyone help?

Lead change I have been taught to eliminate. Is this wrong?

Please help me as I believe this is the number one source of mogul skiing.

Yes, in mogul skiing, you want to have fewer extreme angles than in alpine racing. You do not want to angulate at the hip, but rather at the knee and ankle. You want to maintain this "stacked" position where your shoulders, hips, knees are stacked over the balls of your feet, or specifically the downhill ski.

Lead change is good in mogul skiing. Because we don't angulate at the hip, the only way to efficiently shift weight to the new downhill ski is through lead change. Getting early lead change is the key to an efficient carve in the mogul turn. You want to get on the new downhill ski really early, through lead change.
Founder, Director Emeritus mogulskiing.net

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance (and Mogul Coach) at Cooper, CO

patrick@mogulskiing.net
BushMogulMaster
Site Admin

Postby Cannonskier » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Wow excellent resource! Print it off and watch Bumpapalooza 2010 and hit the pause button to match the motion/position to the terminology and you have mogul skiing in a nut shell. If it were only that easy on the hill. Very helpful to even those of us who understand what's going on. Thanks
Cannonskier

Return to Technique and Tips